• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Warrior Aggro Management (1 Viewer)

RedCents
658¢
Anyone have any tips for maximizing threat generation on a Warrior on live? I'm running an 85 heroic war and doing ok. However, my poor level 91 mage keeps getting aggro. I based my KA ini off of the 85 heroic war and 90 heroic war samples in Level 2. Not sure if there are rules against posting .ini in the Level 1 section so here are just a few sample sections. Please let me know if it is against the rules and will remove.

I'm looking for a solid aggro rotation for my 85 War. Using the Heroic Sword of the Specter http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=116126 with this http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=85774

Played a war on EMU for 8 years and absolutely owned face. Server was custom though so didn't necessarily align with live dynamics. Still trying to understand live dynamic to maximize my war.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Relevant KA sections:

Rich (BB code):
[DPS]
DPSOn=1
DPSCOn=0
DPSSize=20
DPSSkip=20
DPSInterval=2
DPS1=Jeer|99
DPS2=Bracing Defense|95
DPS3=Knuckle Crush|50
DPS4=Field Armorer|0
DPS5=Shield Topple|0
DPS6=Opportunistic Strike|0
DPS7=Ageless Enmity|99
DPS8=Blast of Anger|90
DPS9=Press the Attack|95
DPS10=Battle Leap|90
DPS11=NULL
DPS12=NULL
DPS13=NULL
DPS14=NULL
DPS15=NULL
DPS16=NULL
DPS17=NULL
DPS18=NULL
DPS19=NULL
DPS20=NULL

[Aggro]
AggroOn=1
AggroSize=10
Aggro1=Bazu Bluster|100|<
Aggro2=Blast of Anger|100|<
Aggro3=NULL
Aggro4=NULL
Aggro5=NULL
Aggro6=NULL
Aggro7=NULL
Aggro8=NULL
Aggro9=NULL
Aggro10=NULL

[AE]
AEOn=1
AECOn=0
AESize=10
AERadius=50
AE1=Area Taunt|3|Mob
AE2=Whirlwind Blade|2|Mob
AE3=NULL
AE4=NULL
AE5=NULL
AE6=NULL
AE7=NULL
AE8=NULL
AE9=NULL
AE10=NULL

Last edited:
Your ini is not bad, I think Warriors just have a few rough spots and about 85 is one of them. I think heroic gear is weak which doesnt matter for most classes, tanks really feel it. Combined with your mage being 6 levels higher, combined with warriors having a weak point at 85, is what is causing you problems. But all of that can be fixed. Jeer and Bazu will grab aggro 99% of the time. At 85 ish I often used the Whirwind as well, it is great for grabbing nearby mobs that are beating on a group mate, but you can use it against a single target too, it creates a lot of aggro so holds stuff really well! Just be careful to not use it if something nearby is mezzed or you will wake it up. Area Taunt is massive aggro, and aoe, and doesn't wake mobs! But it has a big cooldown so I only use that in situations when I really need it. But if you are fighting one big named at level 85, go ahead and use it.

Some suggestions for the ini file:
Change DPSSkip=20 to DPSSkip=0 (This is the mob % to stop fighting, so you want your warrior fighting until the mob is dead)
Change the ones that end in |0 to be a higher number like |95 (this is when stuff will trigger and you want things triggering early in the fight)
Some random words could be removed, like the word Aggro under the DPS section, and the word AE above the [AE] section.
Add your breastplate clicky to your burns section.

Put some stuff in your buffs section, I can't remember if you have an aura at that level, but if you do, put it in buffs. Also you will have an item with Geomantra, put that in your buffs section too so the war clicks it regularly.

Also set UseMQ2Melee=1

This will start using another ini file in a different folder and it automates a lot of useful stuff, like spamming taunt and things. Later on once you get more abilities, I found kiss to get confused and it stopped meleeing sometimes. So I started moving more and more stuff into that mq2melee file as "holyshits". They work really well.

As for the mage stealing, try to upgrade your War's weapon when you can and some of that heroic gear. It isn't too bad at 85, but it isn't good either, and by 90 you will struggle to hold aggro but also struggle to tank. Any upgrades you can get really helps. Turn taunt off on the mage pet though or things can get a bit jumpy. The level difference between your war and mage will be a problem. I levelled from 1-106 so far with a war and mage (and a wiz) in the same group, and the warrior does a fine job of holding aggro. I very rarely lose it. But there were patches (mostly in the 80s and early 90s) when my Mage would grab aggro occasionally. But you end up with thousands of aggro grabbing abilities on the warrior so once they are all added into your ini file, the tank will have no problem grabbing aggro. Try to do some AAs when you can, because it adds so many useful things. "Blast of Anger" does huge aggro and it has a very short cooldown. There are some others. But levels really help too, get past that level 85 weak spot. At 87 you get Flash of Anger which is great, and at 88 you get Rallying Roar.

Once you have a few more abilities, set them up to only trigger when they are needed. I found that if the warrior just spams everything at once, he has nothing left to lose if someone grabs some aggro. So have him use most of his stuff, and set a few with a condition like this:

DPS16=some other aggro grabber
DPSCond16=${Me.SecondaryPctAggro}>75

That way he will watch aggro of other targets, and if anyone gets to 75+ he will use that other ability. You can have a few like that, and he will always have stuff to use. There are other things you can do as well but this should help for a start.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, some very good tips. I figured that level was a part of it but wanted to see what I may be missing. My 92 SK holds aggro np with the mage. The SK leveled up with the mage though and had np throughout. I'm just adding the war to the mix. Thus far I think I like the war better, the added mitigation is helpful when you play like I do (pull multiples pretty much always).

The DPS with 0 are set that way as I do not want to use them automatically. I got the idea from the Level 90 war ini in level 2. I find, as you said, the war just burns through his endurance so I set some skills to use manually. While attending its no problem and I can hit AA's/Discs manually to adjust to the situation.

DPS16=some other aggro grabber
DPSCond16=${Me.SecondaryPctAggro}>75

This is an excellent idea and will implement right now. Actually will probably just add conditions to the majority of aggro abilities to get more finite control. Have had a few adds already from the AoE aggro triggering :).

It's going to be a bit before this war levels up as I'm using him as a leveling tank to feed toons to my primary group. Have a team of 5 DPS that needs a good tank. He'll probably become my main tank at some point as my play style fits a war better than an SK.

Yeah I was disappointed with my War for a while, but in the higher levels he became really uber. They get a bunch of defensive disciplines and abilities, and there are enough that you can cycle them so that by the last one fades, you can go back to the first one. Aggro abilities are even more abundant.

The secondary aggro thing is really cool. I use that on a lot of stuff, and there are some others:
!${Me.TargetOfTarget.CleanName.Equal[${Me.CleanName}]}
That one checks to see if you are the mob's target. The ! at the start means "not", so if you are not the mob's target, it is gonna be attacking someone else, so you can trigger something with that.

And there is also:
${Me.PctAggro}<100

That will trigger if your aggro gets lower than 100. Kiss does that automatically if you put something in the aggro section with a |100 after it, but it is useful to use that condition on stuff in the dps section or if you make holyshits.

I have some aggro grabbers with each of those 3 different rules, so nothing gets away :)

First make sure your buff section is proper setup.
Rich (BB code):
Buffs1=Breather|End|15
Buffs2=Champion's Aura|aura
Buffs3=Field Protector|me
Buffs4=Commanding Voice|me
Buffs5=Blade Guardian|me
Buffs6=Brace for Impact|me

this is a minimum of what a warrior at 105 should have in his buff section.. you can find the abilities that fit your level and make sure you have it in there.

now the dps section is not super important for aggro management as a warrior, this is where kiss has the aggro section

this is a highly trimmed aggro section and should keep so much aggro you gonna cry when you try to peel something of the warrior.
Rich (BB code):
; pulls mob to you if you have less than 100% aggro
Aggro1=Grappling Strike|100|<
; increases your rage modifier by 80%, meaning muych much more aggro from the next couple of abilities
Aggro2=Rage of the Forsaken|100|<
; taunt should never be spammed as a warrior, as it only works if you dont have 100%, and on top of that new taunt gives more hate when it succeed, + more hate from rate of the forsaken, omg so much hate
Aggro3=Taunt|100|<
; last two is self explanatory both forcing the mob to attack you and pulling it to you with grasp, this happens ofcause if taunt dont worky, but that aint happening.
Aggro4=Warlord's Grasp|100|<
Aggro5=Ageless Enmity|100|<

now you got single target aggro like a pro.

now if you want some of that sweet ae aggro, you dont have many choices as such, but you need to use the ae section and can be done.
Rich (BB code):
;standard ae taunt, 100% aggro on all creatures within a 40 foot radius with 100% effectiveness,
AE1=Area Taunt|3
; adds effect that does a point blank ae taunt if you get single target healed. and last 2 our of 3 minutes.
AE2=Harmonious Expanse|3
; we gonna need  these conditions to control the cast, it will fire if there is mobs on xtarget we dont have aggro on.
AECond1=${Me.XTAggroCount} > 0
AECond2=${Me.XTAggroCount} > 0

; now this skills adds aggro too, but also hit things, so use if cc is not so important, else dont. as it will break mez.
AE3=Stormstrike Blades|3
AECond3=${Me.XTAggroCount} > 0

for the DPS section you can use these skills or the skilsl comparable to your level:
Rich (BB code):
;swam pet that taunts when it dies you get its hate.
Phantom Aggressor
;use at 20% mob is forced to stay and fight but also snared for 1 minute.
Call of Challenge
; good hate builder, with defense recourse
Insult
; single target hate, boom just use it when its up. this is what you should constnatly use instead of taunt if you have aggro.
Blast of Anger

now i realize these are skills and aa i have at 105, but they should have similar for your level and if you dont have one of them just skip it.

I was focused on the Warrior, I forgot about mage. I think at that level, your only anti aggro will be Silent Casting. But that is worth having. It should look like this:

Aggro1=Silent Casting|82|>

That will use it if the mage reaches 82% aggro, or more. When you get Arcane Whisper, put that in there too. I set that to about 75%.

There is another trick I do which I haven't seen anyone else do, but it seems to work well. In your DPS section, put conditions on your big nukes to only fire if you are under a certain aggro. At higher levels this means my mage spams them constantly because my Warrior holds aggro really well now, but at lower levels it would make the mage chill for a moment before casting, to let the Warrior's aggro build up. The condition looks like this:

DPS7=Spear of Molten Shieldstone|94
DPSCond7=${Me.PctAggro}<90

So if they are about to cast that nuke, and their aggro is more than 90%, they wont cast. I saved my mage's life a few times. Also, the AA for mages called Spell Casting Subtlety helps a lot! But I noticed sometimes it can get itself turned off, I think when you upgrade it, sometimes it toggles off. So get as many AAs in that as you can, and check it is switched on.

Don't forget to grab pots for extra damage shield and melee proc. Did anyone mention the face slot for tanks? There are faces slots with an added bonus to argo%.

Question - Warrior Aggro Management

Users who are viewing this thread

Back