• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Poll - How many characters do you play at once? (not counting mercs) (1 Viewer)

How many characters do you play at once? (not counting mercs)

• One. My main is all I need.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Two. I love my main, but I gotta have heals.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Three. ♫ [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chE0nqBoe-g]Come and knock on our door[/url]..♫

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Four!

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Five, gotta leave room for a friend or merc.

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • A full group of 6, no need for friends or mercs!

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • Between 7 and 12, backups are handy

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • More than 12, I'd have to check my excel spreadsheet for the exact amount.

Votes: 27 20.6%

• Total voters
I think I spent about 4 hours creating a spreadsheet one day when it started to get overwhelming using my guild tool to track account names. 44 accounts across 4 servers O_O, tracking things like which characters are currently active, or which characters are being loaned to friends. Color coded to the extreme...totally worth it....

chrome_2018-07-19_11-02-13.png

I usually play 6 at a time, which is what I picked on the poll. Sometimes only 3-4, and sometimes 9. But most of the time it's a full group. I'm looking to add 1-3 more as time and funds allow. Also, I use a spreadsheet to track my toons across about 13 servers.

Last edited:
LMAO this is the 1st time I have had a poll here that had an answer tailored to me! Yes a spreadsheet with 9 tabs in it too! And I copy and paste the toons into a groups tab so if I get disconnected I know who was where with whom an d on which PC.. Make restarting 75ish clients way easier!

I like to solo in Oasis with my 23 wood elf beastlord. Hope to get to 25 by September tho! If only Lockjaw would leave me alone :argh:

Voted 6 cuz I 6 box, but I don't really "play" all 6 because Mq2 plays on my behalf.

But here is my boring life story, in Norrath. I single boxed like everyone in early EQ. Later I rage quit EQ and joined Winters Roar / Shards of Dalaya emulator and it let you 2 box. It took me a while to try it out and eventually fell in love with the whole idea. Maybe I have some sort of condition... but I would play so much, when I went back to real life, I would do chores like clean my teeth before bed and think oh damn, now I need to alt tab and do it again for my alt. Luckily in real life there is only one me. Then I started playing Vanguard and I 3 boxed at first, but later started 6 boxing when it went F2P. I then went back to EQ to play on the EQ Mac server and I 6 boxed on that too. I used virtual desktops so I could switch to any character instantly with a hotkey. Neat trick, but even with that, I still wasn't able to fully run 6 characters at 100% potential. I did a good job though, with enough coffee. Eventually I started playing PEQ which is another emulator server but really good and no rules. So I used MQ2 and ran my own raids, 24 box. Fun as hell for a while, so involved. But it becomes like a job.

Now back to EQ again, with a 6 box. I finally decided that the most fun to actually play is a 3 box, because I can switch between them all and play each one to their potential. But if I am going to use MQ2, I like to 6 box and it is a different experience. I am not so much playing them as I am the manager, overseeing their lives. I love it.

When I learned about the fellowship xp PL method I absolutely had to expand my team from a full six box (plus a few utilities) to 12+. I'm now sitting at 15+. I haven't gone full RoS on all the toons (only about 7), so I'm a mix of 110s and 105s. I also still need to level up a few classes (haven't touched druid, necro, or pally).

in the olden days i had a ranger, that's it, then a fried quit and me and another friend shared his shaman, then another friend quit, and we shared his chanter, my computer and my skills at that time couldn't get 3 accounts to run though, so it was usually ranger and shaman, and i sucked at shaman then, but computer coould hardly handle alt tabbing to another client, so often it was more a hassle than fun.

then i learned about charm kiting killing with the chanter, so i would go to umm a place with giants in pop, not bot, the other one, and sit chanter in a corner, and pull with ranger snarer, then charm with chanter and just kill stuff, was very fun, was also difficult, cause the computer at the time was crap for alt tabbing in eq.

Around 10. 1 main team with a cleric or wiz merc and then another off-tank team, again with a wiz or merc depending on damage. My main puller is Monk with customized Kissassist Monk pull routine (splits complex pulls).

Later I rage quit EQ and joined Winters Roar / Shards of Dalaya emulator and it let you 2 box. It took me a while to try it out and eventually fell in love with the whole idea. Maybe I have some sort of condition... but I would play so much, when I went back to real life, I would do chores like clean my teeth before bed and think oh damn, now I need to alt tab and do it again for my alt. Luckily in real life there is only one me.

My early days of SoD were like this as well. Years and years of punishment and grinding later though, I was glad to leave that version of the game behind and play elsewhere.

I have 21 accounts which I use to keep all gold and new expansion for all on release. Till the last expansion. Think right now, 12 have the latest expansion and is lvl110 max aa's. Rest are maxed out for 105/aa's.

Haven't played in many months and went down to just keeping my main gold. I will start playing again, but am going to scale down significantly what I keep gold. Probably will just keep 3 accounts gold, maybe 4 and only keep 12 up to date on expansions. I was running 3 tanks because I was thinking of running 3 separate teams to farm rares, but I never really did anything like that and my SK and pali were used more as DPS than anything else. Might just make wizards or whatever on my SK/pali account. My warrior, ranger and maybe two berserkers will stay gold.

Well, a question from me is what do those with 12+ use them for?
  • Farming plat?
  • Selling characters?
  • Running Raids?
I am especially interested in hearing strategies from those who use them for running raids... as that would be my next hill to conquer should I go above 12 into the stratosphere for accounts...

JJB

I am so with you Microscope - when I'm e.g. half asleep and rolling over in bed, I often think "oh boy, now I need to do it 23 more times". Quite serious.

Started out as six, and then I'd add support classes/buffing classes periodically. Then I read about fellowship experience and some of the cool PL things you can do if you have 10 fully maxed toons, so that was my next goal. Then EoK came out and I wanted to try farming some rares, which I figured would be faster if I could have one group doing it all the time while I messed around with the other group.

That eventually expanded further... need a rogue to drag my mage around to skip shitty content... which would have been fine at lvl 85 and heroic gear, but why do that when you can pop a krono and level him to 110 with max aa's? So I did that.

It's kind of never ending.... although right now I've been sitting at 15 or so accounts for a while now. Even still, I just got another skybreaker, so now I'm thinking about PL'ing and gearing a pally.

At that point.... I might as well start looking into raiding lol. Could probably do some older content raids (2-3 expansions back) that would net visibles that would at least rival current content group gear.

Poll - How many characters do you play at once? (not counting mercs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back