• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Wizard Vs Druid (1 Viewer)

Should I:

• Keep the Wizzy!

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Droods Rulez!

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

Cluelessone

RedCents
428¢
my current group makeup is pretty good but I would really like some backup healing as the cleric just can't seem to keep up with battle resses and heals during boss fights. Currently I am running:

1. SK - Tank, Snare and FD pulling
  2. Cleric - Healing, buffing and Res
  3. Enchanter - CC, Buffing and DPS
  4. Rogue - DPS, SoS scouting and corpse recovery, Lockpick
  5. Mage - DPS, Backup pet tank, CoH
  6. Wizard - Ports, evak and DPS

I am thinking that replacing the Wizard with a Druid will allow me to add some backup heals to the group. How good are Druid heals? What are the advantages of having a wizard rather than a druid? ETC?

Druids are second best healers (at least in the old days) and very good backup healers. As far as ports go they get a few different ports evac and others. Dps will go down. Nukes not as good and the dots for the most part dont have the chance to run their cycle.

Now, all this in consideration, ur tank should be fine with a cleric healer. Ur tank is still undergeared for the content ur in which means his mitigation is not where it needs to be. Easily the tank is the most important member of the group. Go allout on their gear to the exclusion of others in the group. Always tank with sword n board. Get a wurmslayer (it helps) and conflag shield (healing).

Druids are second best healers (at least in the old days) and very good backup healers. As far as ports go they get a few different ports evac and others. Dps will go down. Nukes not as good and the dots for the most part dont have the chance to run their cycle.

Now, all this in consideration, ur tank should be fine with a cleric healer. Ur tank is still undergeared for the content ur in which means his mitigation is not where it needs to be. Easily the tank is the most important member of the group. Go allout on their gear to the exclusion of others in the group. Always tank with sword n board. Get a wurmslayer (it helps) and conflag shield (healing).

My tank is pretty much as well geared as I can get without raid gear, All conflag in all spots, 5300 AC and 220000 HP group buffed. All type 3, 5 and 7 aug slots filled, with type 7 being all AC augs.

My biggest issue is, when fighting a named, if someone dies, the cleric tries to battle res them and during that cycle, he doesn't heal the SK who ends up on his back quicker than a prom date.

I may be able to save 3 seconds by switching from using the epic to res, to the spell but the epic is really nice due to the free res spells, especially after a wipe or cleric death.

- - - Updated - - -

Wurmslayer = http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=355 ????

Yeah, set your cleric's res to Blessing of Resurrection, the AA. Super fast cast and 9 sec refresh. My KA cleric rezzes so quick I often can't tab over to do it myself and he's right back to healing.
Rich (BB code):
AutoRezOn=1
AutoRezWith=Blessing of Resurrection

Does your mage pet have Taunt turned on? I find that's great for bouncing a named between two high HP targets or buying time for a tank's battle-rez. I usually have it on for all Mage and BST pets, even if I'm running a DPS pet. Those classes also have Companion's Fortification early in their Burn cycle, so if the pet taunts a named it already has mitigation going.

Druids make great back up healers. The do OK as main healers too, though I prefer SHM if I'm not running a Cleric. Druid's main issue is they don't have an instant mana refresh like CLR or SHM, so you rely on regen to keep going. If you're just healing it's fine, but if you add a lot of nukes I found the druid was causing med breaks.

I've also run BST as my backup healer with a CLR main healing. BST offers great DPS and mana/end regen with heals just big enough to save somebody between the CLR's cooldowns.

Oh yes. To my knowledge wasnt the res stick 10 sec cast? Dump that and get the aa res. Res stick outta combat. And no ur not as well geared as u can get by no means. There is t2 armor from ros zones better than conflag. But u need t2 armor from eok to get it. I said b4 ur undergeared for the content ur in. Take some time and gear up a bit better. Every aug slot should be at least 40 ac at ur lvl. Better if 45 and higher. Ur ac should be pushing 6k. My war is 5900ish ac in conflag and the best augs in game other than 3, a 70 ac one, a 90ish ac one (arteseans prize), and a 48 ac one. If u need to know where to camp these augs i can let u know.

Not going to say how to do it here, go to the KA section. Already a thread on it. And I haven't played EQ for 4 months now, so not up to speed.

Set up your enchanter to rune when your tank drops below 40% or maybe 50%. My group made it through 2 or 3 hard hitting mobs with no heals. Just the enchanter casting runes.

Oh. Biggie aug to get......... prayer shawl. Rune when u block or something like that. Get it. And the honed wurmslayer. Ur tanking issues wholly disappear.

- - - Updated - - -

Also get a rune aug for ur sword or a heal aug. Either works well to help. Unless u have a chase weapon then get the 60 ac aug from anni missions next year.

Not sure about that. I know clerics are the best heals in the game (its all they do). Same as a warrior is the best tank in game.that being said my war can be healed by a dru and a shm cause my mitigation is where it needs to be. When u have a jack of all trades as the old saying they become master of none. Part of a druid is dps and root rot and dots... master of none comes to mind.

Even as a druid fan, I'd say clerics are easy-mode group healing. You can have 4+ single target heals all with fairly fast casts/4-5 sec recasts plus 4 more bigger fast heals with longer recasts, a decent HoT, true battle rez, 2-3 tank mitigations (aura/shining + ward if you want to start with that), undying life to boost tanks HP total, plus if things are crazy you have a couple buttons like divine arb/epic2.

Druid has 2 group heals and 3 single heals, two of which have long recasts (Revitalization 12 seconds, Adrenaline Barrage 15 seconds) so I found it a little more stressful to main heal with only the druid. You do get Savage Growth which is nice for warriors and a tiny bit better than knights temp hp buff. Edit: Spirit of the Bear is also a nice tank buff for Named with 20k hp, 700 AC and 60% dodge for 48 seconds.

Druid's Bosquetender's Fortitude is cool. With the other healing aa + that running, druid heals for 80k-90k and crits for 200k on heals. Just eats your mana.

Ditch the rogue, replace with druid, you'll have a very happy group. Your rogue might be good but it doesn't make sense in this group. The druid will easily replace the missing DPS (when played correctly) or DPS+ADPS will be more more than the rogue by itself.
The rogue is one of the most useful toons in the group, he can scout any zone being able to sneak past see invis mobs, making corpse retrieval easy. Not to mention he can drag the mage's corpse to hard to reach camps and res him to CoH the rest of the group there.

If I were to make a druid, it would replace the wizard because they overlap for the main reasons made the Wizard, travel and caster DPS.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh. Biggie aug to get......... prayer shawl. Rune when u block or something like that. Get it. And the honed wurmslayer. Ur tanking issues wholly disappear.

- - - Updated - - -

Also get a rune aug for ur sword or a heal aug. Either works well to help. Unless u have a chase weapon then get the 60 ac aug from anni missions next year.

Great advice, Thanks much!

Sorry i hadnt mentioned it sooner. Just so much to do for a tank class it blurs out from time to time.

OK, got the honed wurmslayer but I am guessing the prayer shawl will take some time. It looks like a lot of steps

PS it looks like I used up all my luck for the year on this, I zoned into FM and 5 minutes later got the den mother message, No one else in zone and I didn't kill any bears. Gerald popped on the other side of the zone when I killed her and is running around like a moron. I had to make a hot key with the key word to spam while chasing the idiot all across the zone.

All said, 15 minutes after zoning in, I had the sword.

woot gratz man, that will help a lot too. now an augment, I think u can go do some dead hills ha's and save enuf points for a decent rune aug there

I prefer Druid over Wizzy just for the heal and rez abilities if I need them. They have some other niche things too that put them over wiz for me as well. I'm trying to gear my SK as well, but the druid really helps including the AA group heal. Since he's more utility for the group and less of a single purpose then he becomes more valuable to me than a wizard. (although, that dps...). So in practice that's my 2 cp.

I am laughing way too hard to make a coherent comment on this poll. This to me would be like if you said "Should I bring a Gun to a Gunfight or replace my gun with this roll of Duct Tape?"

I have a druid, because I want a druid. I also have 20 other accounts to mix match and do mostly anything. Druid is no where near the DPS of real DPS toons. Raid druids can put out some impressive DPS compared to actual DPS classes....in a raid. Every now and then. But pull after pull, they got nothing for DPS. They might as well not even bother with DPS unless AA's/disc or high mana so they can waste it on a high cost DoT. Parse it. And they might arguably be the second best healer in EQ, but they are no where near a cleric for healing, it's a very distant second. ADPS? I dunno. Maybe with a very long parse you can say druid ADPS...nah. Put an actual DPS class in there instead of the druid and you can just tell fights take a whole lot less time.

Keep your classes as they are, make the enchanter rune, spend your rogues loyalty points on the res token or just disband a toon and rogue brings out a healer merc to res. My enchanter is pretty much my back-up "healer" and gets me through a lot. But I also use a beastlord most of the times and he is set to heal as well if MainTank ever goes below 50%.

I have a druid, because I want a druid. I also have 20 other accounts to mix match and do mostly anything. Druid is no where near the DPS of real DPS toons. Raid druids can put out some impressive DPS compared to actual DPS classes....in a raid. Every now and then. But pull after pull, they got nothing for DPS. They might as well not even bother with DPS unless AA's/disc or high mana so they can waste it on a high cost DoT. Parse it. And they might arguably be the second best healer in EQ, but they are no where near a cleric for healing, it's a very distant second. ADPS? I dunno. Maybe with a very long parse you can say druid ADPS...nah. Put an actual DPS class in there instead of the druid and you can just tell fights take a whole lot less time.

Keep your classes as they are, make the enchanter rune, spend your rogues loyalty points on the res token or just disband a toon and rogue brings out a healer merc to res. My enchanter is pretty much my back-up "healer" and gets me through a lot. But I also use a beastlord most of the times and he is set to heal as well if MainTank ever goes below 50%.

You must not know what Black Wolf does for caster dps and caster mana regen. Druids can have it up 100% of the time for themselves and 50% of the time for the group. The DPS a druid adds + ADPS + heals out weighs a rogue in that group since there is no bard or beastlord to enhance the rogues damage.

I am not sure where I gave the impression that I just want DPS. I don't, I want a well rounded group that can do just about anything I want to do if I can't find a group.

I have the following classes for these reasons:

4. Rogue - DPS, SoS scouting and corpse recovery, Lockpick (I can't explain how fun it is to go anywhere without being seen!)

If I wanted to just kill things fast, I would go all zerker with a healer or something. WTF wants to just sit in one place to kill fast?

I want to go places that have locked doors and traps and when I get in trouble I want to evak out! I want to get to places that other groups take hours getting to. I want to have as much flexibility in my group as possible, a big part of that is DPS but only part.

Show me the wizard that can sneak past all the mobs in a level 113 zone and call the rest of the group to him. Show me the zerker that can lock down a 5 mob overpull, show me the blah blah blah.

So far I love my little group and have been able to do some fun stuff with them, the real problem that I have is that when the SK dies, it all goes to shit. The earth pet can tank but if the one healer stops to res the SK, the earth pet dies too, then everyone dies.

I am testing the druid and so far he isn't making a difference but he is only level 93, I will get him to 110 and update how he works out. If he can just heal the SK 25% of what the cleric does, he will be worth his weight in gold. Alive SK means alive group.

I am not sure where I gave the impression that I just want DPS. I don't, I want a well rounded group that can do just about anything I want to do if I can't find a group.

I have the following classes for these reasons:

4. Rogue - DPS, SoS scouting and corpse recovery, Lockpick (I can't explain how fun it is to go anywhere without being seen!)

If I wanted to just kill things fast, I would go all zerker with a healer or something. WTF wants to just sit in one place to kill fast?

I want to go places that have locked doors and traps and when I get in trouble I want to evak out! I want to get to places that other groups take hours getting to. I want to have as much flexibility in my group as possible, a big part of that is DPS but only part.

Show me the wizard that can sneak past all the mobs in a level 113 zone and call the rest of the group to him. Show me the zerker that can lock down a 5 mob overpull, show me the blah blah blah.

So far I love my little group and have been able to do some fun stuff with them, the real problem that I have is that when the SK dies, it all goes to shit. The earth pet can tank but if the one healer stops to res the SK, the earth pet dies too, then everyone dies.

I am testing the druid and so far he isn't making a difference but he is only level 93, I will get him to 110 and update how he works out. If he can just heal the SK 25% of what the cleric does, he will be worth his weight in gold. Alive SK means alive group.

Once 110 he will heal 75-90% as good as the cleric if you only want him to heal. I got a druid healer for a droga heroic group he does about 45k dps and main heals plus adds ADPS for the 2 wizards, mage, enc.

Once 110 he will heal 75-90% as good as the cleric if you only want him to heal. I got a druid healer for a droga heroic group he does about 45k dps and main heals plus adds ADPS for the 2 wizards, mage, enc.

This is what I am hoping for, I need more healing but I don't want to lose all my DPS because of it. Also I don't want to lose ports and evak. Thanks for the info

Replace the rogue with a wizard, then replace both wizards with two more mages and profit.

Sk Cle Ench Mag x 3 is so easy mode it's not even funny. I have played around with a Druid quite a bit, the adps from the Druid (significant for magicians= fire debuffs, skin like sumac, black wolf) doesn't make up for replacing a magician with a Druid and clerics are just entirely too amazing in the group heal game not to use one.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are tanking with an SK, the wurmslayer is not the way to go. It blocks your spurn line among other things.

well i know it works for a warrior very well, i would have guessed mitigation worked the same thru all tanks since knights cried to get the defensives that warriors have

Discussion - Wizard Vs Druid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back