• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Ease of use for someone with disabilities? (1 Viewer)

Carric21

RedCents
52¢
Hey all,

So semi-weird question I suppose. I was curious how much is truly automated with this program? Quick explanation.

Dad and I use to play this when I was younger all the time, lots of nostalgia here. In the recent years, due to a injury and small strokes his cognitive abilties have declined. He can push some buttons and has full comprehension and such. If I were to set this up for him would it be relatively easy for him to use? Can it auto-navigate or would he need to do / follow?

I think he would really enjoy rehashing some of our old stomping grounds, but I just dont think he has the ability to do it all himself.

Thanks for your input

Carric - I do not think it is a weird question at all. I am not a pro at using all the abilities MQ2 provides, but from reading your post it could make the experience more enjoyable for your father. I know of others that use MQ2 because they have disabilities, and the program allows them to enjoy the game. Just remember, MQ2 is not condoned on all servers, and more often than not, socially condemned among the server population.

It can be a little daunting to set up, and depending on how separated you and your father are distance wise, minor tweaks could become an issue. There are plenty of ini files posted for all the different classes, and with a little tweaking you should be able to set up something to both your liking.

Also, if set up properly, EQBCS could make it to where you can drive his character more through certain commands (follow, attack, heal etc.) but allow him to have control. EQBCS is a great tool to look into.

There may be more seasoned users that could provide more input, but either way, good luck and I hope you two find a way to make it work!

MacroQuest2 plus the macros and plugins included in RedGuides Vanilla package can automate (or at least assist with) almost everything if you want. You can pick and choose what you want it to do and when.

Briefly, it can handle:
  • Mob fighting as melee or caster
  • Tanking or aggro control/dropping
  • Pet classes as DPS or pet tanking
  • Healing and rezzing
  • Bards
  • Pulling with options to pull only certain mobs, ignore certain mobs or such based on the zone you're in
  • Mezzing
  • Wandering around a zone hunting certain mobs
  • "Chase" is an improved auto-follow that doesn't lose it's target or get lost.
  • MQ2Nav plugin allows intelligent path finding across entire zones. Opens doors, avoids obstacles, finds its way through caves.. It can be used by the pulling function too.
  • EasyFind plugin turns your find button into an automated navigation too. Run straight to zonelines, merchants or such.
  • There are also some add-on macros that can automate navigation across multiple zones.
  • You can automate looting with preset filters to give certain items to certain classes, or destroy trash items you don't want.
  • You can automate selling to vendors or /barter based on your bag contents
  • Automate bazaar/buyer trading if you want

While it can run on its own, a lot of players use MQ2 to do the stuff they find too repetitive or to play back-up group members so they can focus on the stuff they enjoy.

Cool. I'll take a look at it and see what I can do. I'm thinking if I do the grunt work of setting up he should be able to run it. If not, it's only $10. Thanks for the feedback guys! I really appreciate it.

Glad to see it helping! :) I knew it would. With MQ2 you can have your character do anything, or nothing, and everything in between. It takes time to get it set up and doing what you want, but for me that is part of the fun. You aren't just building up your character, you are also building up your .ini file to the point that the character will behave as well as a real person. Or pretty close. If you struggle with anything just post here and people are really helpful and there is so much knowledge on this forum. You can also come to the discord chat which is great too. If your dad sticks with and is enjoying it, I highly recommend getting a big screen and a comfortable chair because you can spend such long hours on this game. Gotta get a screen near the height of your eyes so you are looking straight at it and don't do your back/neck in. A big monitor is best for sharp resolution but a big TV works fine as well and can be a lot cheaper.

Also there are some really good UI mods and you can increase the size of the font in the game, especially useful if you switch to a higher resolution screen. This game is so great and MQ2 makes it far less of a pain to play.

Glad to see it helping! :) I knew it would. With MQ2 you can have your character do anything, or nothing, and everything in between. It takes time to get it set up and doing what you want, but for me that is part of the fun. You aren't just building up your character, you are also building up your .ini file to the point that the character will behave as well as a real person. Or pretty close. If you struggle with anything just post here and people are really helpful and there is so much knowledge on this forum. You can also come to the discord chat which is great too. If your dad sticks with and is enjoying it, I highly recommend getting a big screen and a comfortable chair because you can spend such long hours on this game. Gotta get a screen near the height of your eyes so you are looking straight at it and don't do your back/neck in. A big monitor is best for sharp resolution but a big TV works fine as well and can be a lot cheaper.

Also there are some really good UI mods and you can increase the size of the font in the game, especially useful if you switch to a higher resolution screen. This game is so great and MQ2 makes it far less of a pain to play.

Yea, I definetely need to tweak the UI for him. He is currently visiting from a couple states away. He is using my spare laptop and just sitting at the kitchen table for a solid surface. He is already talking to me about getting a new computer chair and space set up for him at his house. Someone messaged me about a screen sharing program so I can remotely set things up for him once he is back home.

Yea Teamviewer or similar would work wonders. I tweaked my own UI a bit but never tried many custom UIs because I am so used to the default. I do really like /chatfont 4 though, or even 5 for some important stuff. Hopefully he can get a comfortable setup with a good chair and a big screen, real keyboard etc. Some good deals on stuff these days, and you don't need much to run EQ if you only single box. Let us know if you want any help with anything.

One of my former guildmates was a war veteran who lost an arm. He used MQ2 to help him box, and we would dream up way to improve this for him.

If you got questions I think you will find plenty of support here.

Question - Ease of use for someone with disabilities?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back