• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Request - EverQuest "concept art" maps leaked on reddit, any idea where they're from? (1 Viewer)

Redbot

🖥️💖
RedCents
88,102¢
Pronouns
He/Him
reddit user RpTheHotrod has been posting these, but refuses to say where they're from.

I've checked GIS, everquest wiki and lore sites, I've flipped through The Maps of Myrist as well as EverQuest: The 10th Anniversary and have come up short. Can anyone identify the source or confirm their authenticity?

ZsGHzV7.jpg

V196SOD.jpg

BvsxZ4S.jpg

These are clearly different from the maps upon release (e.g. kithicok woods). If you have a moment to look through your old EQ books (Prima guides, Player's Handbook, et al.) please report back.

Re: EverQuest "concept art" maps leaked on reddit, any idea where they're from?

I mean just looking at the labels on them, they look much more recent then original art or truely are a developer behind the scenes outlay. For example Hill's of Shade, Loping Plains, Dead Hills, Rujarkin Hills, Jagged Pine Forest, Gulf of Gunthak and The Burried Sea all were added to the game much later on, while some do not exist within EQ1 but do within EQ2.

I mean just looking at the labels on them, they look much more recent then original art or truely are a developer behind the scenes outlay. For example Hill's of Shade, Loping Plains, Dead Hills, Rujarkin Hills, Jagged Pine Forest, Gulf of Gunthak and The Burried Sea all were added to the game much later on, while some do not exist within EQ1 but do within EQ2.

All of these existed on the original map:

old_norrath.jpg

The above is accurate 1999, confirmed via my framed cloth map :)

[tweet]708420016773865473[/tweet]

For other original maps, here's a good album:
https://imgur.com/a/8K4gd

Another big difference on the leaked map of Faydwer is the inclusion of The Ink Sea, a place which has only been referenced as a simile in an in-game PoP-era book, and the "First Almanac of EverQuest", a geocities page from 2000. I have no idea if that almanac is fanfic, from the guide program, or written by someone with access to Verant/989's lore, but now we have a map to fit this 17 year old description:

The Ink Sea:

This saltwater inland sea is home to many dangerous exotic sea creatures including giant electric eels.

The leaked Kunark map is wildly different from release, which would make sense if these maps were all from the late 90's, and they had another year to refine Kunark.

Last edited:

OP on reddit thread lives in TX, where VI was originally had their HQ. I know all through SOE's history they had an office in TX, which was eventually closed when they became DBG. I tried grepping older installs for his name (real and username) and came up with nothing. (hey, sometimes their debug messages specifically mentioned a developer in the older EXEs!)

OP on reddit thread lives in TX, where VI was originally had their HQ. I know all through SOE's history they had an office in TX, which was eventually closed when they became DBG. I tried grepping older installs for his name (real and username) and came up with nothing. (hey, sometimes their debug messages specifically mentioned a developer in the older EXEs!)

He said he was 14 years old when the game came out, so if that's true likely not an original dev.

I was thinking he may be a recent hire, but that wouldn't match up with him living in texas. Maybe he struck gold at a garage sale?

He said he was 14 years old when the game came out, so if that's true likely not an original dev.

I was thinking he may be a recent hire, but that wouldn't match up with him living in texas. Maybe he struck gold at a garage sale?
He could of also come across them in his job. ("working at a law firm doing litigation support and digital forensics")

MrhuL0b.jpg

Odus!

I don't notice any differences from the 1999 map, aside from the location of The Vasty Deep.

lol well it's a good excuse to dig through my old box filled with EQ stuff.

View attachment 13150

Odus!

I don't notice any differences from the 1999 map, aside from the location of The Vasty Deep.

i believe these were in a atlas book i had purchased back in the early years, folks were pissed they made this atlas and didint use eqatlas maps the maps kinda sucked to be honest but it was a shiny lil handbook :0

My first thought was EQOA, but after doing some research they apparently had a different continent and world name <.>

Request - EverQuest "concept art" maps leaked on reddit, any idea where they're from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back