• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Is it worth playing anything other than the newest TLP server? (1 Viewer)

Haruspex

RedCents
54¢
So, when EQ was during its height back in 1999-2001, I was busy on Dark Age of Camelot and as such, missed out on the Everquest train. I played (and still do occasionally) DAOC for 14 years before wondering what I'd missed out on. It wasn't until I discovered P99 that I gave EQ a shot. A way to experience Classic EQ as it was at launch? Sure, I'll give it a shot. (Yes I know P99 is very different from real classic, but lets not focus on that).

I watched a Youtube series on P99 called Everquest Classic Adventures by an aussie named Reptox who made an Iksar monk and chronicled his journey. I did the same and had a blast. When I heard about the TLP servers coming out for EQ (Ragefire, then Lockjaw) I was pretty interested. Sadly the multiboxing just wasn't for me, but shortly after Phinny came along and I had a blast on it, same with Agnarr so far.

But I read these forums and I hear people talking about stuff I just have no comprehension of, since I have never experienced EQ beyond Velious. People talking about 'rare's (whatever that is) selling for 35 Krono and all sorts of weird stuff. I mean, I know what AA's are and stuff and they sound awesome, but there's just SO MANY expansions and so many more levels - what are we up to now, 85? I kind of feel like it's just way out of my depth. And even if there was a way to skip all that and start 5 levels under cap, wouldn't I be missing out on whole universes of content? What do people even DO at max level in current day EQ?

So the purpose of this thread is to ask you guys why YOU play Live EQ and what you get out of it. What's fun for you? What would you like to see? How do YOU get new players to try it?

Hopefully this could be a cool thread. Look forward to see what you all have to say.

Max level is currently 105 and about to increase to 110 with the next expansion release.

So the purpose of this thread is to ask you guys why YOU play Live EQ and what you get out of it. What's fun for you? What would you like to see? How do YOU get new players to try it?

Boxing. There's nothing more enjoyable than boxing in an MMORPG for me. The challenge of boxing far surpasses the challenge of playing one character and it also adds in countless other hurdles one must overcome, most of which are intellectual ones. You have to spend the time to learn each character of your team, figure out a way that's comfortable for you to play all of them and that works for you specifically. In some cases you may not be able to use that classes best abilities because it may not function very well with the fact that you're boxing and what classes you're boxing so you have to find out a unique way to play that works for just you.

When boxing you have to micromanage your entire team and plan it out. It's something that keeps you thinking even while you're not playing the game. Maybe you wanna google about strategies on how to take down a certain encounter or farm a certain aug or complete Hero's Journey AAs. The single player experience has this same focus as well but it's not nearly as intense as it is for boxers.

That's what makes EQ enjoyable for me.. To answer your other question of "what is there to do at 105?" basically all the same stuff that you do at 50 - 65. You find little things to accomplish to advance your character when you're not grouping or raiding and you complete quests like the Coldain Shawl etc etc. The game doesn't change much formula wise - people generally do the same things they do on the TLPs just they're called different things.

The main difference between Phinigel/Agnarr EQ and Live is the difficulty. Phinny is kind of starting to get difficult but i would argue not really yet. I'm sure Phinigel players would piss and moan and say it takes a lot of skill though. Basically the game throws more and more at you that you need to learn and look up as the expansions go on. A huge part of modern day EQ is RESEARCHING. Not the ingame tradeskill but just learning the game itself. If you don't research and experiment you're going to fall by the wayside for better players. Compared to Phinigel, Live EQ has thousands more AAs, dozens more required hotbuttons and you have to learn what each of them does as well as "some" of your allies abilities. You have to learn what burns to pop and when - what burns stack and what burns don't - what burns work with your allies burns and if you should or shouldn't pop them at the same time.... The list goes on.

I box on both Live and the TLPs and that's basically the main difference I notice between them. The TLPs are still great fun but I can't shake the feeling that nothing i do matters (all my character's upgrades become obsolete later on whereas on live Hero's Journey AAs are forever) and that it's just a watered down version of live. If it wasn't for nostalgia I don't think I would find Lockjaw/Ragefire fun at all.

acidic is one of the pricks that sent me a tell saying he was reporting me quite a while ago...and he is on now, in the same zone as nightshade so....im pretty positive this guy monkeyman is a dick.

Well for me, I like the challenge while at the same time familiarity.

As in, always striving to work up some new toons (usually for other folks) and in the process, learning/relearning the classes. The ability to spend as much, or as little, time in the game and still feel like you "accomplished" something. Not to mention the camaraderie (though that has waned as the game declined and life moved on)

Not to mention every expansion is a new twist to this old bird's song and dance. In many ways the game is the same. Still need a group to kill things for the most part. Still based around killin and questin for the most part. But it also allows for versatility so you can make all sorts of group make ups work.

Bah, just insomniatic rambling... EQ guud. Nuff said

I been on all the TLPs for EQ on and off. Looking to get back into the newest Agnarr server which will eventually end at PoP. I never really got to raid back in the day most of the expacs. The server is extremely populated and with the instanced raids. Finding a guild that works for your schedule is pretty easy. Worth jumping on it if you want to play again

I been on all the TLPs for EQ on and off. Looking to get back into the newest Agnarr server which will eventually end at PoP. I never really got to raid back in the day most of the expacs. The server is extremely populated and with the instanced raids. Finding a guild that works for your schedule is pretty easy. Worth jumping on it if you want to play again
There's a couple of decent euro guilds there too

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Question - Is it worth playing anything other than the newest TLP server?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back