• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Poll - If DBG lowed krono $$ and sub $$ would you just pay DBG directly? (1 Viewer)

Would you sub more accounts at $9?

• Yes

Votes: 64 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RedCents
2,214¢
Instead of going after the few players they have left... Why doesn't DBG reduce game subs to $9/mo and krono to $12...
Legit subs goes way up... Krono profits are cut way down.

Would you sub more accounts at $9?

Funny I was literally thinking the same thing the other day. But Kronos work across multiple games so they won't lower that price.

They kinda did this last year with the yearly plans at 80$

I was thinking if they decided to do that again this year I was gonna buy a few of them for my box team

Well, the market will still be the same regardless if you lower the price from Daybreak, the price will lower on Krono from 3rd party sellers.

Initially the first 6-9 months you might see a spike in sales for Legit subs and Daybreak bought krono, but it will settle back down to the same situation - Daybreak Krono for 100% profit, 3rd party 50-66% of Daybreak value. Whatever you set the value too.

So essentially, spike in volume for Daybreak first few months till it floods the market, then market settles and you are back to the same situation. What will change is there be increased volume of sales from both Daybreak and 3rd party sellers, compared to what the situation is now. The more affordable it gets people will find more value, and thus buy in more, thus volume increases, but the market equilibrium will remain same so volume of legit subs and volume of 3rd party sellers selling subs will settle to the same level over time (6-9 months is my guess).

But to your question, would I buy a sub at $9. No. Because I'm paying $0 currently vs $9. Their customer service and lack of development of the game is already pretty bad, I'm not sure at $9 a month if its value to me still. If its at maybe $3 a month with their shit customer service and development of the game, maybe.

Same thing with the $72 sub plan last year, I didn't buy into it because I pay $0 per sub since I get all my Krono indirectly from Daybreak. Someone else is paying Daybreak off.

Even if you buy a Krono from a 3rd party retailer you still win over the $72 year plan even, unless you are actually going to utilize that many Krono every month of the year. Obviously, not everyone plays like that, some people play all months of the year, it really depends on peoples play styles if its worth it to you.

On a slightly different topic, their business model is completely wrong for todays time, with so much competition out there. This is also why I think Pantheon -RotF won't succeed either with a sub plan model.

What EQ1 should have done years ago is made the game completely free (except expansions/DLCs) and fixed the core of the game, i.e graphics, avatar models, better UI. This would have brought in "new" players and a 2ndary effect of loyalty to buy into the game more often for current players thus lowering the number of returning players and people being more loyal to the game.

Imagine if they had 20 visible slots for your avatar you could buy fluff for, then there is pet fluff, mercenary fluff, mount fluff, etc. Potential is so huge if they fixed alot of the core of the game, but their to stupid and blind to see that.

The marketplace fluff is where they get majority of their business already (including Krono sold), not from regular subs.

You only have to look at ESO to see how well their model is succeeding, the only thing you buy is the DLC's.

Last edited:
I stick to paying DBG directly as, I don't want to risk my account based on someone else's issues (RMTing issues) and the ingame prices are just stupid.

While I have no direct evidence of what I'm about to say, I believe it's rather obvious. DBG is printing Krono out of thin air and is the #1 supplier of it on 3rd party sites. Could anyone offer any logical explanation as to why they wouldn't be "duping" their own krono and selling it? They have full anonymity and the ability to do so. It's as if they have their own printing press so I can only imagine they are using it to the fullest extent that they can.

While I have no direct evidence of what I'm about to say, I believe it's rather obvious. DBG is printing Krono out of thin air and is the #1 supplier of it on 3rd party sites. Could anyone offer any logical explanation as to why they wouldn't be "duping" their own krono and selling it? They have full anonymity and the ability to do so. It's as if they have their own printing press so I can only imagine they are using it to the fullest extent that they can.
That's what I've always assumed, sell to the average Joe @$18, but to CheapKronosHere.com for $8 when the site buys 2000 of them, and let the website make a few bucks profit off of each, over the next 2-3 months.

Not really true. For tax purposes every krono sold is a liability until it is consumed(used) when they file taxes they have to account for this and document it in the tax filings.

Not really true. For tax purposes every krono sold is a liability until it is consumed(used) when they file taxes they have to account for this and document it in the tax filings.

Well they obviously wouldn't be filing for taxes on the ones they're creating out of thin air. I'm sure players themselves have duped krono before so there's no way to account for the origins of every single krono that exists. Also, it's not like people haven't been known to dodge taxes before either.

Well they obviously wouldn't be filing for taxes on the ones they're creating out of thin air. I'm sure players themselves have duped krono before so there's no way to account for the origins of every single krono that exists. Also, it's not like people haven't been known to dodge taxes before either.

no players have not duped kronos its all bullshit to drive prices down people spread the rumor on purpose.

Every single krono has a unique item ID that is tracked because they need to know when its consumed. When you buy a krono it gets an item id, transaction id and kronos are not treated the same as an in game item they're account based and heavily tracked go trade one and read the msg after its verifying its been traded and tracking who it was traded to. To dupe a krono you would give it the same transaction/item ids which would obviously set of all kinds of alarms.

I doubt Daybreak is manufacturing Krono to sell on the black market themselves, only person who would ever get away with this would be the CFO and I doubt he has access to both the manufacturing branch and cooking the books along with it at the same time. You need a person who has the power to do both things and I'm sure they keep that seperate.

Platinum or any in game item or currency, I wouldn't doubt this has been done by a developer/coder in the past. This would be so easy to get away with as a developer or coder. Especially if you are the lead programmer or developer. They don't have unique ID's on in-game currency/items being generated so easy to get away this.

Items currently do have their database ID's but they have no "print" ID's. So flow can't be easily tracked.

You're survey misses a few answers. I buy the yearly subs that come to $9.99/month and only buy Krono straight from Daybreak when I have something I specifically need in game and I want to trade for it. I only keep 4 All Access accounts running at any time so it all works out just fine as far as I'm concerned

You're survey misses a few answers. I buy the yearly subs that come to $9.99/month and only buy Krono straight from Daybreak when I have something I specifically need in game and I want to trade for it. I only keep 4 All Access accounts running at any time so it all works out just fine as far as I'm concerned

Problem with the 9.99 subs is you are locked in for a year... Only way I'd lock an account in for that long of a period is if it's like $5/mo.
I come and go when I play EQ so locking in $120 a year per account is silly to me.

Daybreak is making their money off me though... I've bought 30+ copies of EOK this year... last year I bought 12-18 copies of TBM at retail prices, and then 40+ more when they did the 50% off sale.
I keep 12 accounts all access most the time, and then rotate other groups around with Krono shuffling. If I could do $8-10/mo without the 1 year commitment I'd be subbed on 24 accounts every month at a minimum lol.

The only RMT I've ever done is for krono... Check my feedback if you don't believe me lol. Their pricing model promotes the RMT krono shuffle IMO.

Problem with the 9.99 subs is you are locked in for a year... Only way I'd lock an account in for that long of a period is if it's like $5/mo.
I come and go when I play EQ so locking in $120 a year per account is silly to me.

Daybreak is making their money off me though... I've bought 30+ copies of EOK this year... last year I bought 12-18 copies of TBM at retail prices, and then 40+ more when they did the 50% off sale.
I keep 12 accounts all access most the time, and then rotate other groups around with Krono shuffling. If I could do $8-10/mo without the 1 year commitment I'd be subbed on 24 accounts every month at a minimum lol.

The only RMT I've ever done is for krono... Check my feedback if you don't believe me lol. Their pricing model promotes the RMT krono shuffle IMO.

I don't mind the lock in at all, I've played pretty much non-stop since 2000 so having yearly subs on my 4 all access is no problem.

I believe you're right about the Krono shuffle though, Daybreak is practically printing money by releasing new TLP and selling Krono. BTW I think I've bought a total of 7 Krono in all from Daybreak and I'm pretty sure that they've all been consumed

I'm at 21 accounts, all EoK, 16 are gold and going on my second year being retired. Think I'd rather have extra $$ for booze or just unspent, gonna have to go down to just 6 gold accounts, especially if I am getting whatever next expansion x21. Maybe 9 gold accounts if subs were $9/mo.

For how I play, it's not really needed I have 21 accounts, I just like to. Mostly don't need 90% of my guys to be gold, as I can always bring more accounts on point if needed. When I play, most times I have 6-12 accounts just standing around in the guildhall.

Sebilis made FTP tanks fairly possible.
Right now I'm just using krono to farm AA...

Once capped F2P is likely the way to go. Was planning to keep 12 accounts always gold, but the krono shortage lately is making it more annoying.
I have the in game plat to buy a metric fuckton of kronos... just hard to find sellers :(

I doubt Daybreak is manufacturing Krono to sell on the black market themselves, only person who would ever get away with this would be the CFO and I doubt he has access to both the manufacturing branch and cooking the books along with it at the same time. You need a person who has the power to do both things and I'm sure they keep that seperate.

Platinum or any in game item or currency, I wouldn't doubt this has been done by a developer/coder in the past. This would be so easy to get away with as a developer or coder. Especially if you are the lead programmer or developer. They don't have unique ID's on in-game currency/items being generated so easy to get away this.

Items currently do have their database ID's but they have no "print" ID's. So flow can't be easily tracked.

lol.. off topic sorta.. but in line with duping comment... SOE coder got fired for the "secret banker" in blackburrow years ago.

He slipped code in to make a banker spawn at midnight real world time.. and appear only for 30 seconds... but the banker was highly altered... if you took 1 plat out and converted it to gold.. you would get 1,000 gold instead of 10 .. but if you took 10 gold and converted it to plat.. you got 10,000 plat instead of 1 ....

He macroed the echange so fast he was generating multi-multi millions in that 30 second spawn time.

He got busted by a player using MQ who was in zone atm and saw the banker on mq2map .. and the toon that was standing infront of it when it spawned and despawned....

It was a hoot.

lol.. off topic sorta.. but in line with duping comment... SOE coder got fired for the "secret banker" in blackburrow years ago.

He slipped code in to make a banker spawn at midnight real world time.. and appear only for 30 seconds... but the banker was highly altered... if you took 1 plat out and converted it to gold.. you would get 1,000 gold instead of 10 .. but if you took 10 gold and converted it to plat.. you got 10,000 plat instead of 1 ....

He macroed the echange so fast he was generating multi-multi millions in that 30 second spawn time.

He got busted by a player using MQ who was in zone atm and saw the banker on mq2map .. and the toon that was standing infront of it when it spawned and despawned....

It was a hoot.

I remember this, it was in late 1999 or 2000, but somehow I remember it as being at the bottom of Befallen, and the guy already got the notice he was fired and it a last fuck you he left for Verant before he left the office.

They kinda did this last year with the yearly plans at 80$

I was thinking if they decided to do that again this year I was gonna buy a few of them for my box team

One of my three that I subb'ed a year on auto-renewed at the regular price. Really pissed me off.

I've considered buying a year long sub for some of my accounts but at the same time I don't know how much money it will actually save me versus just leaving my chars on for a week or two after my Kronos run out every month.

I'm pretty sure Krono are non-refundable. So, they are taxable income the moment they are sold.

Don't you get around $9 if you pay yearly? you guys didn't think about it?

Only reason I don't do that is the 1year commitment.

If it was the month to month price I'd be all over it.

Krono lets me decide how locked in I want to be. With how I have had EQ go in waves over the year I just don't see myself going 1 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't you get around $9 if you pay yearly? you guys didn't think about it?

Its actually $10 a month on the yearly sub price.

Only reason I don't do that is the 1year commitment.

If it was the month to month price I'd be all over it.

Krono lets me decide how locked in I want to be. With how I have had EQ go in waves over the year I just don't see myself going 1 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I only play about 6-7 months out of the year, unless you raid all year or something I can't even see the point of getting the year long sub price. Way to much commitment on months I will never play the game or chance of flaking out for awhile. Plus, you can exploit your subscription with Krono, you can't exploit the yearly sub plan.

The last time I did the yearly sub plan, was when they were selling SOE game cards at Walmart and offering 2x SOE cash weekends, the sub price came out to be about $40 a year or something, and even less the only one time they ran the 3x SOE cash weekend, I know I bought like 60 SOE cards that weekend and subb'd like 25 accounts or so for couple of years, and had like 15-16 traders running in bazaar, farming the hell out of plat.

I may have said it earlier in this thread or another, but I think I would sub at $3 a month no more, the amount o content they put out nowadays is in no way reflective of the price you pay.

The sub price hasn't changed, yet content has gotten less, and less, and less almost every year. Remember when they used to put out expansions every 9 months and they actually had "content', not this 5-7 zone, copy/paste spells, and AA's etc., and now they even copy/paste old world zone geometry....and call it an expansion. Each year we've received less and less and they keep claiming they don't have enough resources yet squandered over $120 million on other projects. I don't see myself supporting this game "directly: (indirectly via Krono) besides buying expansions (directly) till they actually decide to funnel resources into EQ. I used to buy 20-30 accounts worth of expansions, but have cut that down to 6-12 now, don't see the point.

Poll - If DBG lowed krono $$ and sub $$ would you just pay DBG directly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back