• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - I just bought a 7th gen I7 - Oh well. (1 Viewer)

Maskoi

old and salty
RedCents
81,386¢
Last year at Computex, Intel unveiled its first 10-core consumer CPU, the company's move into the world of a "megatasking." It was a pricey chip, launching at around $1,700, but it satisfied the needs for users who needed to juggle several intensive tasks at once. Now, Intel is upping the ante with a whole new family of processors for enthusiasts, the Core X-series, and it's spearheaded by its first 18-core CPU, the i9-7980XE.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/30/intel-core-i9-extreme/

Bah, I got the Ryzen 7 and am loving its performance. I'll probably toss it on a new mining rig and grab the thread ripper when it comes out. First time AMD is actually competitive with Intel, and it spanks the 6th Gen Intel i7 I have at work. Intel these days is pretty much a waste of money. The only caveat to that is servers of course, I would never use AMD on my server farm at work.

That said, save your money and go AMD you will be pleasantly surprised while also saving yourself a lot of $$$.

Note: Every past AMD system I have owned has sucked, and it was refreshing to see AMD actually perform well for once. I have always bought Intel systems until the Ryzen release.

I bought a Ryzen 5 just this last week and assembled it. Strangely enough 30% increase in framerate with same video card and multi boxing is where I see the biggest upgrade. I used to lag after opening 5 clients (primarily due to only 4 cores on an i5 3470 but now I can open 12 no problem at all).

Just have 1 gripe about it.. Windows 10. I wish we could use windows 7 forever.. spent like 5 days making 10 work like 7 and I'm still not finished.

Also I have a decent overclocker.. I have it stable at 3825 @ 1.35 v and 3950 @ 1.4. It'll boot up and run at 4000 @ 1.4 but I notice artifacts so I might need more volts - something I don't want to do. Either way a 20% overclock is nothing to be ashamed about on an air cooler.

Sayonara intel. You were good with the core 2 duo and ivybridge but now its Ryzen time.

I have always bought AMD previously. I just happen to get a good deal on a 7th gen i7 computer. I might check out AMD again later this year.

Any kind of multitasking you should of just went with ryzen. Unless you can afford the $2000 for intel which is far superior just cost way too much. Ryzen will beat out the 7700k in multitasking. I.E loading 25 eq windows :)

Ryzen would be great if you are building a EQ box but if you are building an enthusiast pc that you need more than 24 pci lanes (i.e. 2 video cards or 1gfx + 2 m.2 ssds, or a tv tuner card, or PCI ssd in combination with gfx/m.2), i'm not sure its going to work. Ryzen seems to only support 24 pci lanes. Maybe Threadripper will support more PCI lanes hopefully.

Tech - I just bought a 7th gen I7 - Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back