• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Graphics card question (1 Viewer)

whiteviper

RedCents
274¢
So i just found what i thought to be a sweet deal on craigslist ($250). I wanted to get some opinions of people smarter than my self.

Is the NV GTX 745 good for a EQ boxing build on this set up or would an upgrade help me?
How many toons do you think i should go for on this build?
If I doubled the RAM could i get more toons or would performance fall off?

Computer specs are:
Dell XPS 8900
6th gen i7-6700 (4.0GHz)
16 GB Dual Channel DDR4 (2x8GB)
NV GTX 745 4G DDR3
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive (I plan to upgrade to Samsung 850 PRO SSD 256 GB)

All comments are appreciated.

Video card does not help with boxing. It helps with video not stuttering (mostly in raids).

However memory and a good cpu are massive upgrades since Everquest is more CPU taxing than video card taxing.

And Intel cpu's are ok for upto 4 clients.. after 5 you'll notice lag. Instead AMD Ryzen cpu's are so much better and they are thrashing intel because of newer 8 cores and 16 threads technology. I know a person who is boxing 3 groups (15 clients + 3 mercs) with ryzen 7 and 32 gb of ram and he only uses a GTX 660 video card.

Infact I might build that very configuration myself soon with my tax refund.

I got the whole box for $250. It came as a package deal this way. Kinda an impulse buy. I figured it could run at least 1 group of 6. I was wondering if it would be worth trying to upgrade any parts to get more toons?

What one do you think i should use to raid with 6 toons on?
I was thinking the new 1 especially if i swapped out the graphics cards.

My old box is:

i7-4790K
8 GB Ram
750Ti
Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB SSD

How many do you want to run?
I have a similar system ( RAM / CPU ), different card gtx1060 and an ssd and I run 6 with all options on ( particles, spells, models, etc ) and its smooth as can be....I do use eqplaynice and isboxer for window and cpu/fps management and in places like pok that are pretty intense I'm usually around 25-30% cpu usage and 50-55% ram, without eqplaynice cpu useage is 100% and it does get a little choppy.
I'd imagine if you use eqplaynice or mq2fps and turned down graphics you could get away with 2 - 3 groups on that setup

Tech - Graphics card question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back