• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - How do you play(install) eq with multiple accounts? (1 Viewer)

JackDaniels

RedCents
306¢
I was told that it was harder on the computer to have a single install of eq and then opening 6 copies of that instance for my box team. So i created 6 installations of eq. I installed eq into C drive, renamed that folder to EQ 1, then copied it, made a second folder EQ2 and so on, 1-6. Then i went into each folder and made a short cut on desktop. So now when i box, each instance is being run from its own install, but this means i am using 6 times the space, and 6 times teh game updates. Now while im not worried about total space my HD is 2 TB, I have to wonder, is this really saving me anything? I honestly don't notice the computer running any better or worse then before. It is nice that i can start each account from its own shortcut tho.

My computer is nothing fancy,

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Dell XPS 8700
8 gigs of Ram
Intell i7-4790 @3.60Ghz

I have tried it both ways and like you failed to notice any significant difference in game play. Whether one is more work for the computer or not is irrelevant to me. As far as individual shortcuts, check out MQ2AutoLogin. Once you get it set up, nice easy couple of mouse clicks to load any account/character or even your group.

I use two installs. One for my main toon that has all the bells and whistles turned on. I run all my alts through the other install that has almost all the EQ display options turned off/down. This seems to help.

I run 2 installs for (up to) 16 toons, like above, i run 1 install for my toons that i run at any given time (7) and i run 1 of mine on a separate install that i also load my friend's toons on if i've loaded them up by chance. on my main toons i run all graphics and everything, but have damages and junk filtered out so each only sees their own spam. then on my last account that i run my tank on all filters are open so i can run my parser off of him. it also keeps it as a separate group of windows when i load up my buddy's toons so i'm not clicking through them searching for the toon i want (i don't run isboxer or anything else along those lines).

I DID notice by about instance 12 or 13 running off the same install it would begin to slow the system down, but by separating installs and running 7 or 8 per install it runs smooth as silk full time. I don't know the background info of this to explain why, just sharing my experience with it. i do leave graphics, spells, and everything else full on all accounts, and all are set to unlimited background fps. the only difference in my settings is the combat filters as i stated.

Ya, i am wondering if should just somehow copy all my UI files back over to the first install and just run the 6 from there. i do have access to about 3 other accts but i would mainly just load themup to buff in nexus and log out

That thing about 2 installs is nice btw...i was wondering how to fix this for my puller, i reduced one config to not see so far and the next restart it was default for all 6 accounts...and its fucking boring to fix that all the time so i left the reduced view for all but the puller dies more this way lol

Ya, i am wondering if should just somehow copy all my UI files back over to the first install and just run the 6 from there. i do have access to about 3 other accts but i would mainly just load themup to buff in nexus and log out

the way i copy them all over is just go to the main eq folder, and type in a char name. select all and copy all those files then go to my other eq folder and paste them. catches all layouts, hotkeys, even your loot preferences if you use the adv loot. pay attention to some of the pathnames though, i can't remember if some are tucked into folders or not, the search will grab them all, and just make sure to paste things into the right folders

Does anyone know a way to add a shortcut per window? I am wanting to get away from WinEQ because it has some problems; however, I cant find anyway to add a shortcut per window like CTRL+ALT+1 and so I keep going back to it.

Does anyone know a way to add a shortcut per window? I am wanting to get away from WinEQ because it has some problems; however, I cant find anyway to add a shortcut per window like CTRL+ALT+1 and so I keep going back to it.

Windows Key + Number - where the number is the program number on your task bar. 1 is the closest to your start menu.

One caveat for this:

If you run multiple instances of EQ, then you'll have to do Windows + Number, Number where number correlates to the window you want. For example, you run 6 instances of EQ, you want to get to the 3rd one. You have it moved to be program 1 (closest to the start menu), then you will press Windows + 1, 1, 1 (Hold Windows key, press 1 three times). If you had EQ running as program 3 (third from the start button) then you'd press Wiindows + 3,3,3. This can be macro'd also.

edit: Forgot to mention you can sticky EQ to your taskbar to keep in reliably in an application slot. Additionally, I have tested this on Windows 8.1 and 10. I'll try on 7 later if I get a chance.

I use 1 install for all of my toons. Way easier for me. I do have a separate install for P99 obviously. But for live, just 1 install to run 4 toons.

I have ran 18-21 on my 1 desktop, with the affinity set to every CPU 1 install location and that was it.. never had any issues

24 gigs of ram, older I7 overclocked to 4.6, was 5ghz. and a 1070 graphics card..

Windows Key + Number - where the number is the program number on your task bar. 1 is the closest to your start menu.

One caveat for this:

If you run multiple instances of EQ, then you'll have to do Windows + Number, Number where number correlates to the window you want. For example, you run 6 instances of EQ, you want to get to the 3rd one. You have it moved to be program 1 (closest to the start menu), then you will press Windows + 1, 1, 1 (Hold Windows key, press 1 three times). If you had EQ running as program 3 (third from the start button) then you'd press Wiindows + 3,3,3. This can be macro'd also.

edit: Forgot to mention you can sticky EQ to your taskbar to keep in reliably in an application slot. Additionally, I have tested this on Windows 8.1 and 10. I'll try on 7 later if I get a chance.

make seperate installs and pull each eqgame.exe out and name each one the name of your toons or some sort of reffrence and if you play in windowed mode it will list them at bottom on taskbar

I run upto 24 instances of EQ on an i5 with 32gig memory, each from their own folder. haven't bothered setting any CPU infinity as it seems to change every time I restart anyway, and everything runs fine even when I'm raiding on main and got 3 or 4 teams of 5 afk grinding.

main reason I run them all from different folders is I was finding corruption in maps and quest folders etc when running them all from the same location.

Question - How do you play(install) eq with multiple accounts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back