• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Benefit to upgrading an already 85+ toon to Heroic? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
708¢
OK! Posting this info because of the Anniversary Heroic Gift we are all getting.

In the past, I have upgraded 85+ toons with a free heroic upgrade (usually via the free 500 DBC I get each month) for one basic reason . . . DoN Progression. (Heroic toons also get the group MPG Trial flags - and additional heroic gear - bags and mount)

Dragons of Norrath progression is a very time consuming process involving factioning to ally with the light or dark side camp and a mass of individual, group and raid tasks.

So, what makes DoN progression worth while for a toon that is already above level 85?

Good side rewards (evil has the same rewards with a different name):

Tier 1: Gift of the Keepers
"Gift of the Keepers" gives a maximum stats increase of 10 per stat.
Tier 2: Valor of the Keepers
"Valor of the Keepers" which adds 250 hp/mana/end to your base stats.
Tier 3: Embrace of the Keepers
"Embrace of the Keepers" which increases your buff slot limit.
Tier 4: Power of the Keepers
"Power of the Keepers" (increases chance of critical hits/spells, heals, and DoTs)
Tier 5: Sanctity of the Keepers
"Sanctity of the Keepers" (increases spell resist caps).

So what's so great about these:

1. "Valor of the Keepers" which adds 250 hp/mana/end to your base stats. - this actually adds around 3% to your base unmodified HP (I'm unsure if there is a cap on the maximum amount rewarded)

2. "Power of the Keepers" (increases chance of critical hits/spells, heals, and DoTs) - This AA gives and innate increase of 3% to melee, spell, heal and Dot CHANCE to crit. (I'm unsure how this stacks with other crit increasing AAs - it was never officially stated what the % was - 1% to 3% is what different sites state).

3. "Sanctity of the Keepers" (increases spell resist caps). - This isn't an increase to stat resists. It's an innate chance to actually resist detrimental spells.

In the past, when upgrading to heroic, you are given ally faction with a particular camp based on your race and religion. You are also given flags for all progression up to, but not including the very last turn in. This will reward you with the first four progression rewards (4/5) and flag you to receive the final progression AA once you turn in a Shadowscale of Vishimtar from the final raid in the expansion - In the Shadows. Typically, 3 to 6 scales drop each raid. The last raid is a level 70 raid that can easily be completed with a couple of high level toons.

The final raid can be requested from:

Light Side: Captain Areha Burina

Dark Side: General Lereh Dirr

Scale turn in:

Light Side: Chieftain Relae Aderi

Dark Side: Commander Zaerr Ty`Dar

It has been a while since I have preformed a Heroic upgrade on a toon already above level 85. You do get the 4/5 AAs right after the upgrade. If anyone has any additional information they can add to this I'm sure everyone will benefit from your knowledge. In particular, how these AAs stack with other AAs or skills at high level.

Last edited:
OK. So, I upgraded my level 100 berserker to Heroic to see how many HP Valor of the Keepers adds . . . it was 1,603 HP. This will actually increase as you continue to level up and your base HP increases. 1,603 HP is a nice little bump.

With the additional Power of the Keepers and Sanctity of the Keepers (once you turn in the scale), I think the upgrade is worth it.

Any estimates on how time consuming DON is for a maxed out 105?

about 8hrs a day for 3 or 4 days (assuming you afk 30min - 1hr a day)

OK. So, I upgraded my level 100 berserker to Heroic to see how many HP Valor of the Keepers adds . . . it was 1,603 HP. This will actually increase as you continue to level up and your base HP increases. 1,603 HP is a nice little bump.

With the additional Power of the Keepers and Sanctity of the Keepers (once you turn in the scale), I think the upgrade is worth it.

I used about 50 heroic characters on chars I already had at level 105 just for the DON progression and MPG trials instantly completed. As you mentioned, it's well worth it to heroic a char you already have leveled if you don't have DoN/MPG done.

In the Shadows. Typically, 3 to 6 scales drop each raid. The last raid is a level 70 raid that can easily be completed with a couple of high level toons.

We had 9 scales drop and killed easily with a single group of level 100's. Once you get him down to 25% you typically have to hail the clouds (when you have the DT dot on you) and you can drop his health by 1% for each hail. However, if you burn at 25% you can typically insta kill him from 25 to 0.

I've solo'd him with my SK, so it's not that big of a deal. Pretty much any reasonably geared lvl 105 toon with a merc could schwack it, I imagine.

Discussion - Benefit to upgrading an already 85+ toon to Heroic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back