• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Which progression server is best? (1 Viewer)

Two big differences:
1. Raid instances on Phinigel -> everyone gets phat lewts. Of course PoTime and later expansion raiding is instanced for everyone.

2. TrueBox code on Phinigel -> no MQ, single EQ instance per computer + multiple computers sending similar keystrokes from the same IP can get dropped.

Phinigel is on POP/LOY since Feb 1st, RF is voting on POP/LOY on May 16th, then LJ on May 30th.

Info from: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ading-progression-server-unlocks-2017.238051/

Phinigel is more popular than RF and LJ.

folks group on ragefire , there are also a ton of boxers, but i haven't witnessed that being a problem either. after sony decided to say they were releasing another progression server i am awaiting to see what that will be , if its a boxing server i will imagine ragefire and lockjaw will die quickly if its truebox/nobox/whatever dbg calls the anti mq server now adays , i think most will stay on ragefire and it might make it further into expacs

Is it safe to assume that Ragefire is more popular than Lockjaw? Do people still group together on Ragefire?

There is a higher population on RF than LJ with multiple guilds clearing endgame content in rotiations, with 2 more guilds up and coming breaking in and getting an chance at the emp cycle. But afaik there are still a couple guilds clearing Vex Thal on LJ.

RF is very box friendly and groups are not hard to come by for the single player if you are guilded.

You can still use Showeq for Phinny, the wonderful coders here keep it up to date.

folks group on ragefire , there are also a ton of boxers, but i haven't witnessed that being a problem either. after sony decided to say they were releasing another progression server i am awaiting to see what that will be , if its a boxing server i will imagine ragefire and lockjaw will die quickly if its truebox/nobox/whatever dbg calls the anti mq server now adays , i think most will stay on ragefire and it might make it further into expacs

FYI - if you had not seen... the upcoming server 'Agnarr' will be basically a Phinny-clone with true-box code enabled and instancing... it will however stop itself from any further expansions once it reaches the LDoN expansion (3 month unlocks, starting at classic) and never unlock further content.

So, more or less, it's kinda designed to to appeal to people who just want to stay in the golden-age type expansions of EQ and never go through GoD or beyond.

Population

Phinny > > > Ragefire > Lockjaw

Definitely the highest population of any server is Phinny. Ragefire has the population of some of the more populated LIve servers, with LJ generally much less (you can log in and check bazzar for Traders as a general idea of population).

Expansion Unlocks

A new expansion opens every 90 days or so on Phinny, and I believe it gets shorter after Gates of Discord.
New expansions open every 6 months on Ragefire and Lockjaw, dropping to 3 months after GoD.

Experience Rate

Phinny has a very slow experience rate compared to live servers. Ragefire and Lockjaw exp is much faster (though still slower than live servers)

Some things to understand.

Ragefire and LockJaw have the exact same rule sets. Ragefire has a greater population than Lockjaw. There is no real reason to choose Lockjaw over Ragefire. Toons from Lockjaw can transfer to Ragefire however, so You could start there and transfer to Ragefire at some point if you preferred (for some reason)

Ragefire (and LJ) have been at the level 60 cap for over a year expansion wise. I would imagine you are going to have a hard time finding groups at level 1-40, though I'm sure it's possible. Everyone is already level 60 with level 60 alts at this point. PoP opens in about 2 months. Plenty of time to hit level 60 and get some AA's even if you play casually.

Some questions to ask yourself.

Do you like to Box? It's easy on Ragefire, it requires multiple computers to do on Phinny.

Do you like Macroquest? It works on Ragefire, it does not on Phinny.

Is the 1-40 group game super important to you? Phinny has a far more robust population across the levels as well as less boxers. You will likely have a better time finding groups and leveling your way up to 60, and be able to spend more time enjoying it due to slower exp rates. Ragefire 1-40 game can be rough as a solo player, but the exp rate is faster, and it's much easier to box a few toons for yourself (MQ helps!). On Ragefire once you are level 40 finding groups shouldn't be too hard.

How do you feel about Raiding? There are a plethora of guilds to choose to raid with on Phinny. You will be able to find one that fits your playstyle/schedule. On Ragefire there are 3 "Top End" guilds rotating Vex Thal, and 2 or 3 other guilds killing smaller Luclin targets, and doing NTOV etc. Most every guild is US primetime with the exception of 1 which is EU primetime. Ragefire will have less choices for you if you want to raid the Top End stuff in era. Shouldn't be hard to find a guild on either server, and you should have plenty to raid as well.

Do you like fast expansion unlocks? Or Slow?
Expansions unlock at twice the rate of Ragefire (3months vs 6months).

So use that to choose what fits you best.
As a Ragefire player I can attest to there being a great community. Pretty much all the guilds get along, everyone is friendly :)

It doesnt let you login with MQ,

Sorry, really been away from game a while. I'm being sincere when I ask. What's different? How do they know you're running MQ on one server, but not on the others? And if that's the case, why haven't they deployed that game-wide. Not saying I want them to, I'm genuinely curious. I was around during the Warp Banning period, and remember how crazy that got with their auto-detection. Just trying to figure out exactly what's going on with Phinny that makes it different.

They have a 'truebox-code' that runs on that server specifically (and the upcoming Agnarr) which prevents multiple instances running from the same computer, and scans for things like too many command submissions from the same IP, and will disconnect you.

What it does and how it works is not known specifically, but they basically are running it there to prevent the Mage-box armies that overloaded Ragefire/LJ and made people leave their TLP servers. For what it's worth, it works... because Phinigel is the most populated of ALL the servers.

What is problematic is we still do not have a combination of instanced raids, but able to use some MQ features such as melee. I absolutely love the concept of both phinny and agnarr(especially only playing 1 char), but I cannot get past having to keyboard smash abilities for years to come. I'm too old and its not enjoyable anymore.

Sorry, really been away from game a while. I'm being sincere when I ask. What's different? How do they know you're running MQ on one server, but not on the others? And if that's the case, why haven't they deployed that game-wide. Not saying I want them to, I'm genuinely curious. I was around during the Warp Banning period, and remember how crazy that got with their auto-detection. Just trying to figure out exactly what's going on with Phinny that makes it different.

I am not any way shape or form well versed on how any of this works. I know awhile back EQMule ( the MQ2 guy i believe) had discussions with DBG and agreed that it will not work on that server. I dont know if its on DBGs side or on MQ side, all i know is teh community wanted one server where it didnt work. The powers that be on both sides agreed and somehow it flat out just dont work and dont let you login. If you need more extensive details someone with more intell will have to answer ya.

Which progression server is best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back