• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Ryzen - let the price wars begin! (1 Viewer)

aspire2008

RedCents
2,825¢
This might be the year to upgrade your cpu/motherboards.

AMD Ryzen releases on March 2nd -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11143...or-under-330-preorder-today-on-sale-march-2nd

I can't wait for the Intel response. I personally will not be buying any AMD product, my first comp that I built myself was AMD, every single comp I've built after that has been Intel.

Waiting on the true benchmark results from review websites (the data in that link is data from AMD, which is not the real results, but fluffed up benchmarks) and how much of a closure in the IPC they came close to Intel. I'm sure the Intel 7000 series of cpus will still beat AMD on IPC though.

Overall, it's a good thing for the consumer whether you like AMD or not. More competition is always good.

So I have never liked AMD, and pretty much always thought their CPUs were crap. However, with 8 cores / 16 threads around $300... I have to say I'm gonna buy a CPU/MB and give it a whirl. If nothing else, that would be a sweet virtualization box. I will be oversubscribing the box with about 32 Virtual CPUs and really stretch its legs, as I'm curious to see where it stacks up to the i7 / Xeon line. The integrated graphics is where I'm most curious as in pure compute power I don't think I've ever seen AMD ever beat intel in benchmarks. That said, Intel's integrated graphics line has always sucked, and even at the high end is pretty shitty IMO. If AMD really comes out swinging with the CPUs and the integrated graphics benchmark high I'd be pretty darn happy.

So I have never liked AMD, and pretty much always thought their CPUs were crap. However, with 8 cores / 16 threads around $300... I have to say I'm gonna buy a CPU/MB and give it a whirl. If nothing else, that would be a sweet virtualization box. I will be oversubscribing the box with about 32 Virtual CPUs and really stretch its legs, as I'm curious to see where it stacks up to the i7 / Xeon line. The integrated graphics is where I'm most curious as in pure compute power I don't think I've ever seen AMD ever beat intel in benchmarks. That said, Intel's integrated graphics line has always sucked, and even at the high end is pretty shitty IMO. If AMD really comes out swinging with the CPUs and the integrated graphics benchmark high I'd be pretty darn happy.

Hmm very good point, I've been meaning to mess around with virtualization. Curious how much ram those new mb's will support?

Is exciting to see AMD as a competitor in this space again
Last one I had at home was the 486DX days =)
Last one I had in a server was when x64 was showing up

Tech - Ryzen - let the price wars begin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back