• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Games - Ashes of Creation (1 Viewer)

aspire2008

RedCents
2,825¢
So I've been following this game that has just started development and is due to release in 2019.

The company, Intrepid Studios, is a new company founded by a business entrepreneur, which is why I think this game is going to succeed. I think the 2 games to look forward to in the next 2 years is this one and Crowfall, if you are an mmorpg fan. With Crowfall being primarily a pvp mmorpg.

The one thing to be cautious about is majority of their current staff are ex-Daybreak employees, compromising of EQ1, EQ2 and EQN developers. Which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

If you are interested in the game, and decide to register for it, I'd appreciate it if you register via my referral link:

http://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Zooks/

Here are some vids of actual in-game footage in UE4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RshdOyXyU4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJHkXEk3SDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfuTzaEiEWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RK4z8tQwHU

Last edited:
There is also one I just heard about https://www.pantheonmmo.com/ pantheon.

While they do not say exactly who is making the game, only that EQ1 and other game makers are involved.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the same people that did Vanguard are doing this one, which means it will probably fail. Stupid "vision".

It's Brad McQuaid

This. I wouldn't trust anything that has been touched by Brad McQuaid. Also, I don't think Pantheon will succeed past 2-3 years after it goes gold either, simply because the market for such a niche mmorpg player isn't there coupled with the fact this a subscription based game. It just won't work in today's times. Its the wrong business model for such a game. That model just doesn't work anymore unless there is some type of f2p incentive built in. Trying to use a mmorpg business model from 20 years ago is a thing of the past, its not going to succeed with so many other games on the market it has to compete with.

Now, if they change their business model completely, then I could see it succeeding. I'd bet the game gets sold to Daybreak or some bigger game studio in the long run once the money dries up. Deja vu, Vanguards:SoH

Thanks!

This. I wouldn't trust anything that has been touched by Brad McQuaid. Also, I don't think Pantheon will succeed past 2-3 years after it goes gold either, simply because the market for such a niche mmorpg player isn't there coupled with the fact this a subscription based game. It just won't work in today's times. Its the wrong business model for such a game. That model just doesn't work anymore unless there is some type of f2p incentive built in. Trying to use a mmorpg business model from 20 years ago is a thing of the past, its not going to succeed with so many other games on the market it has to compete with.

Now, if they change their business model completely, then I could see it succeeding. I'd bet the game gets sold to Daybreak or some bigger game studio in the long run once the money dries up. Deja vu, Vanguards:SoH

Thanks!

I agree wholeheartedly about pantheon. I don't know why so many people think it will succeed when everything in todays modern market says that pantheon is doomed to fail. I mean, the game itself goes against what almost every single demographic of gamers wants. Regardless of how much people say they want to group together - THEY DON'T WANT TO GROUP TOGETHER. I know some people are fooled by their inner voice of "I want a group based game where everyone gets along" but the truth is, no one will ever get along that well and phinigel is a perfect example of it.

Some people on phinny are oblivious to the drama that their server has and a lot of people forgot about the shit show that was RF/LJ.

In the early days we all were amazed by the internet and now the internet just a different way to interact that is built into our every day lives. You can't build a game around grouping anymore (and not allow boxes, 3rd party programs etc etc) and expect it to hold its player base. FORCING people to play together all the time just isn't a smart business strategy because no one wants to always depend on other people to get things done. Especially other RANDOM people.

TY Sir will check it out, here is its reddit

Here are the other ones I am following on reddit, check them out

Most excited about Chronicles of Elyria I think

re: your post Lurk
I agree with what you are saying but still want that interaction =(

The other main thing I think everyone forgets about..... you would chat because you didnt have anything else to do!!!! No looking at your cellphone.... no researching web-pages for stuff back then. This is what most people are doing when they play non-twitch-games. Game is open in 1 window, Few other browser windows open to email/social-media/gaming-info-wiki

One way I think 'grouping' games could work is because most of todays gamers play 3-4 games at a time and hell people even play like ps4+xbox+pc!!!
I am thinking of groups of people that already know each other saying 'hey lets go play co-op for a bit!' in MMO-blahblah.

However the #'s of that style of play I will be low and not enough to support a monthly model or f2p model.
Personally I just hate this f2p model on app-store and on PC now.

I want to buy a game either retail/monthly and play it for a while and when done stop... I dont want to be distracted to make a choice to buy something every few minutes of gaming.

Personally I would love to see gaming go the netflix/spotify/pandora model.... as people spend time in the game the creators get some pennies....
If steam started something like this and included some of the worth while games out there I think it would take off.

I would even signup to a model that auto-charges my card a $ for every day or few hours I play to just get away from that stupid nagging BUYBUYBUBYBUY model....

I agree wholeheartedly about pantheon. I don't know why so many people think it will succeed when everything in todays modern market says that pantheon is doomed to fail. I mean, the game itself goes against what almost every single demographic of gamers wants. Regardless of how much people say they want to group together - THEY DON'T WANT TO GROUP TOGETHER. I know some people are fooled by their inner voice of "I want a group based game where everyone gets along" but the truth is, no one will ever get along that well and phinigel is a perfect example of it.

Some people on phinny are oblivious to the drama that their server has and a lot of people forgot about the shit show that was RF/LJ.

In the early days we all were amazed by the internet and now the internet just a different way to interact that is built into our every day lives. You can't build a game around grouping anymore (and not allow boxes, 3rd party programs etc etc) and expect it to hold its player base. FORCING people to play together all the time just isn't a smart business strategy because no one wants to always depend on other people to get things done. Especially other RANDOM people.

I'm with you, though there certainly are redeeming interesting points of Pantheon. I like the return to teh traditional group mechanism of trinity/quaternity, but I am not crazy about the idea of "meaningful travel". I've honestly never found running from X to Y to be meaningful, no matter how much garbage you put in the way. I think grouping can succeed, but there has to be adequate diversion during the LFG grind, such as playing markets, crafting etc. I'm not sure Pantheon will have that right, and it spurs my hesitance. I think their hands off approach to managing in-game conflict is smart. Let public shaming do it right. Plus, people say they hate Drama, but they sometimes can't get enough.

I think they are just showing off the fluff before their kickstarter launch (assuming there is one?). Crowfall did the same thing, which is why it was the top 10 kickstarter games at that point in time.

Sorta off topic, but I have to say the level of transparency of the Crowfall team has been very pleasant, I can't think of any game that has showed that kind of transparency in their development, whether it was crowdfunded or not. Which is probably why its doing so well as a crowdfunded project as well, and well received by the gaming community.

Daybreak could learn a lesson here on transparency.... or maybe its just the EQ1 team, I don't read any of the other Daybreak forums.

Just found out the Founder and CFO are married, so if they do go with a crowdfunding platform, just be cautious on investing your money into the development of this game.

As stated before, pretty much all the developers on the team are ex-Daybreak employee's so that's something to be cautious about as well.

aspire I went ahead and used your link to register for Ashes of Creation. It will really depend on how they handle PvP as I normally don't care much for that aspect. Otherwise it looks rather interesting.

Hey guys im not keeping an eye on pantheon anymore so i lost track on how its being doing, i dont know what stage they are atm...so whats the ETA on the launch ??

Hey guys im not keeping an eye on pantheon anymore so i lost track on how its being doing, i dont know what stage they are atm...so whats the ETA on the launch ??

Regarding Pantheon, I'd go up on this thread and read the previous posts that LamahHerder and I said about the business model and why we don't think it will succeed (i.e be around after 3-4 years after it goes Gold, deja vu Vanguards:SOH).

Ashes won't be out until 2019. It just started development. And they had their Kickstarter just last week, in which they reached their goal in under 12 hours !!

Which I think is better than Crowfall, but at the same time they didn't ask for alot of money either in the Kickstarter either only $ 750k, which doesn't seem like alot on the ambitious project they have ahead of them. Although, I think the founder/creative director Stephen Shariff might be a very wealthy business guy.

Here is the Kickstarter link with a nice intro video about the game: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...new-mmorpg-by-intrepid-studios?token=116f691d

If you want to see what they actually have done in terms of client/gameplay, this might be the best video to date regarding that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcbYJllGfnQ

You need to skip ahead to 31:13 to see the in game footage

Use my referral link here, if you like what you see:): http://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Zooks/

Games - Ashes of Creation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back