• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Help me build a budget PC (1 Viewer)

glizza11

RedCents
30¢
So i purchased this PC for $35, as the lady forgot her pw to log in.. Deleted win 7 and uploaded win XP. As of right now i can not load EQ ërror graphics card is to weak"lmao so taking all suggestions.... I would like to keep the case/mother board
Processor Type
Athlon
Hard Drive Capacity
320 GB
Memory Card Type
Yes
Processor Speed
1.80 GHz
Watts
220 Watts
Maximum RAM Supported
4 GB
Operating System
Windows 7
Model
PT.NBG02.001
Interface Type
Serial ATA
Brand
eMachines
Is Dark Sky-Compliant
Y
Is Energy Star-Certified
Y
Manufacturer Part Number
PT.NBG02.001
Color
Black
RAM Memory
2 GB
Recordable Media Formats
DVD-RAM/±R/±RW
Accessories Included

EL1333G PT.NBG02.001 Desktop Computer
Keyboard
Mouse

Features
HD Audio
Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)
20.00 x 3.90 x 10.40 Inches

I'd start from scratch. Check out the buildapc sales subreddit. That computer is so far outdated that I doubt you'll go very far with it. There are some good deals on there.

looks like these (uncommon) CPU's are compatible with your board. Double check though. I could be wrong.
X2 4050e = 2.1Ghz
X2 4450e = 2.3Ghz
X2 4850e = 2.5Ghz
X2 5050e = 2.6Ghz
X2 4850B = 2.5Ghz

Deleted win 7 and uploaded win XP.

Kind of off topic but I really got to ask why.

Otherwise if its an EQ only box and you're ok with refurb pc then anything with an I5 or I7 processor can run EQ without a graphics card. Really it does help to know the budget you have, if you're in a 100$ MAX type of situation then something like this

I think raz found some links to i7's he liked for ~ 150$ and then you can throw a super cheap video card in there. It helps lots though if we know what the "budget" pc is as for some people its $500

It is an eMachine, do yourself and your sanity a favor and throw that piece of utter crap out! there has never been a good eMachine, ever! not at any price, not even if they tape a fifty to the top! They are complete garbage, PSU is underpowered, its NOT 220, 220 is the max the switching can do but it cant even do that, been a tech for 32 years now and I am telling you, drive over that thing with your car and spend $150 on ebay for a decent machine!

I just bought this WITH shipping for $155 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optipl...R3-160GB-HDD-DVD-RW-PC-Computer-/121741493631

- - - Updated - - -

he has 6 left in stock now! so hurry! I have 5 of these and run 18 clients on each box!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what I just did with mine from that guy...
$155 for the box,
$25 2x4gb ram added for 12gb total
$35 for an 650TI video card

just about $200 and done!

What Razkle says, buy old corporate machines with i5/i7 from Dell,Lenovo, HP they are being dumped on eBay by a truckload.

If electricity rates are a concern then buy slightly newer ones like 3rd genIvy Bridge. The power efficiency is quite noticable starting with Ivy Bridge about 20-40Watts efficiency increase. If electricity is cheap (less than 10 cents a kWh) where you live then 1st gen is fine.

PS
Raz, where do you find these cheap video cards?

Currently eBay is showing me 650Ti at $79 *facepalm*, best I can find is a 730 which is worse than 650Ti for $45

Do not forget to check craigslist for these Dell/Lenovo/HP things as well, can usually find them for 100-150 local
Small company & big company upgrades all their PC's every 2-3yrs and all the old ones show up on the 2nd hand market.

S
What Razkle says, buy old corporate machines with i5/i7 from Dell,Lenovo, HP they are being dumped on eBay by a truckload.

If electricity rates are a concern then buy slightly newer ones like 3rd genIvy Bridge. The power efficiency is quite noticable starting with Ivy Bridge about 20-40Watts efficiency increase. If electricity is cheap (less than 10 cents a kWh) where you live then 1st gen is fine.

PS
Raz, where do you find these cheap video cards?

Currently eBay is showing me 650Ti at $79 *facepalm*, best I can find is a 730 which is worse than 650Ti for $45

I find them with an age old technique called patients.... hehehehee I just grabbed http://www.ebay.com/itm/332083271953?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT should be here today
I get 550 ti all the time for $25-$35 but ya gotta be.... patient...

Last edited:
You all are great, thank you so much for all the info. I have taken your advice to heart and threw the tower in the trash

My second computer was an emachine. My first one was a Gateway.

It's hard to decide which was a bigger piece of fucking trash. I literally reformated my Gateway WEEKLY and reinstalled EQ each week when I was a kid/set everything back up. God only knows what was wrong with that PC, it took me like 10 minutes to load every zone. I learned a lot from that computer though, constantly reformatting and shit.

My second computer was an emachine. My first one was a Gateway.

It's hard to decide which was a bigger piece of fucking trash. I literally reformated my Gateway WEEKLY and reinstalled EQ each week when I was a kid/set everything back up. God only knows what was wrong with that PC, it took me like 10 minutes to load every zone. I learned a lot from that computer though, constantly reformatting and shit.
Yea
When I was running win95 every month or sometimes every other week I would format/reinstall, then win2k came out! woot

Not to bash on anyone, but it's always a good idea to describe what you plan to use a computer for when asking for advice.

Without knowing what you want to use the computer for (obviously everquest, but multiboxing? single? ideal FPS? 400 Google chrome tabs?) it's kinda hard to recommend anything.

That computer (here is the actual product description btw) could be used for 'something'. I'd definitely reformat it (if you haven't already), and check out the emachine website to get proper drivers (I'm assuming some of your issue is driver related, which windows 7 should have pulled). Although it looks like it's using nvidia integrated graphics (oh god), so you could probably get those from the nvidia.com website.

It's going to be horrible, and I hope you have another computer, but it'll probably play 1 everquest client decent enough, even with a 7 year old processor.

Super late response ac1d, but hey ! I bought a HP 4600work station with a GTX750 TI for $100 from craigslist.

Like I always say... watch craigslist! hehe
Also I hear watching goodwill or other donation places is a good idea if you do like to collect electronics and there is one you pass by often

Tech - Help me build a budget PC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back