• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Exp per kill capped? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
91¢
Recently tried leveling up one of my alts, low 90s if it matters, with my group of 105s. Went to Morell's Castle (HoT expansion) and according to MQ2Xptracker was getting exactly 0.303% xp per kill. Thought that might of just been since he had the mobs start to turn blue to him. Decided to go to Chelsith to get some xp, and thought "mobs are red and yellow this will be great!" started killing and... Xptracker says I am getting 0.303% xp per kill. Then I remembered last time I played reading something out xp getting nerfed for toons above 101 in pre-cotf zones. Packed up my group and went to Argin-Hiz, mobs are all red to the lowbie and the zone is CotF. Killed about 20 mobs and every one Xptracker says 0.303% XP gained.

So my question is... what gives? Am I the only one experiencing this? I know I heard xp was nerfed for toons UNDER 101 grouping with 101+, but I thought surely going to a higher zone, where the 101+ AREN'T nerfed would fix it. Are toons under 100 just capped on how much xp they can get with a 101+? Is Mq2Xptracker bugged and just not showing me regular xp gains of more that 0.303%? If that's the case, that's kind of sad, and I will certainly need to go back to Morell's Castle (gotta love 1 shotting mobs thank to decap/headshot/assassinate). Would love to know if anyone else has experienced this and knows if its possible to get more than 0.303% xp per kill for a toon under 100 grouped with 105s. It just seems very odd to me that HoT killing lvl 89-92, Chelsith killing lvl 99-100 and Argin-Hiz killing lvl 99-102 mobs would all give the EXACT same experience per kill.

Thanks for anyone who can help me solve this problem, and possibly come up with solutions on how to fix it! Until then, back to morell's castle!!

No, it's not capped and XPTracker is not bugged (at least not in that particular way).

You don't get less XP for grouping with 101+ either AFAIK, but I could be wrong. However what I think might be happening is that you're recieving way less than 0.303% per mob while XPTracker will only register when the bar moves a tick (0.303). I'd suggest that you try out a TDSzone and see if the problem remains.

I have toons getting up to 6-7% per kill still at 105 and XPTracker registering ir correct.

It is not that you get less, they get more, the 101 - 105 takes more of the exp pie, so while you don't get penalized you do get a smaller share.. translation, its a shitty system They announced it and people complained so they said they reversed it, but I have leveled a LOT of toons and there is a difference between what a 100 gets from the same kill a 101 gets in a 101-105 group. Solution is kill faster! your 101-105 should be slaughtering in morels so you make up in quantity what it lacking in quality.

Killing 6 things in 10 minutes for 10k exp each VS 30 things at 5k exp each is a no brainer!

- - - Updated - - -

wanna TEST the theory, fine, take your 101-105s to morels and take your 90s to morels, put the 90s in 1 group and the 105s in another. PULL/TANK with the 105 group and grab agro and take all the exp with the 90s group and see what they get.

experience is saved on the client in 330 increments per level ever since eq started for UI purposes. on the server side it is stored exactly. what you are seeing are UI updates in the smallest increment of .303 or multiples there of. so .606, etc if the mob rounds up. but all are multiples of .303 for the client UI updates.

Pete is entirely correct, this is why you don't listen to the little report, you write down your % and in 10 minutes you check it. It is correct everytime. When I am AAing teams I put todays AA count in my spreadsheep and track it daily to see if my guys are on track and to give me an indication of when they will be done. Also lets me see what zones and mobs are worth staying at vs moving. Always Be Testing!

I am leveling up my team, they are all 90 and seeing .30% sometimes, sometimes says zero. Before I took them to heroic and 85 was seeing 1-2% per kill in WoS. Even during the XP weekend was only seeing .30% sometimes. Still getting xp though and leveling if slowly. This is in Hot Zones and regular zones. Right now I am working through HoT progression and in the Library. I'll try what Razkle said and watch the XP bar by time.

I am leveling up my team, they are all 90 and seeing .30% sometimes, sometimes says zero. Before I took them to heroic and 85 was seeing 1-2% per kill in WoS. Even during the XP weekend was only seeing .30% sometimes. Still getting xp though and leveling if slowly. This is in Hot Zones and regular zones. Right now I am working through HoT progression and in the Library. I'll try what Razkle said and watch the XP bar by time.

The grounds was giving good xp in the low 90's, but I haven't checked since they changed the hotzones. Might not be that spectacular anymore.

In response to Razkle telling me to try TDS and report back. I took my toons to TBM and did the Into the Temple B mission (all mobs 105+) and my 93 character STILL only was getting 0.303% xp per kill according to xptracker.

But... what did your character get over time? maybe even after X amount of kills?

I believe that Pete and others were saying is the the ingame client will report that (which is where MQ is getting it's info) in increments of 0.303, and occasionally lag behind. You will get a more "true" idea of the XP guaging either over X amount of time or after X amount of mobs.

At least that is how I took it. I am an odd duck... I generally go after items/progression and just let XP happen along the way. I find I get less frustrated with death loss that way, and more of a sense of accomplishment. But to each thier own =)

Right, I understand that they were saying the game doesn't calculate gains under .303% so thats why they are all showing that even though morell is actually giving less than that. My point however is that it seems off that I'm killing in the current expansion killing mobs 13-18 levels higher than my toon I am trying to level and still seeing such dismal xp per kill. I understand that xp over time is what matters. My whole point is that is seems off that I kill a mob in TBM, it takes me 30sec to kill it and I get less than half a percent, but I kill in older expansions and can practically one shot mobs with decap/assassinate/headshot for what the game says is the same xp rate.

Thats why I was posing this question because I was under the impression people 101+ got less xp in zones before cotf, which should mean in tbm my plee SHOULD be getting more xp than I am.

If your PL'ee is significantly lower level than your PL'ers I think the higher level toons might be gobbling up a bigger chunk of the exp. That might account for what you're seeing.

Let someone else chime in and confirm, but that's my understanding for how it works.

Look, watching the per kill messages are depressing and wrong, you need to at least write down what your current % is, come back in an hour and check it again, it will be the same or less as you level hour after hour. an AVERAGE is always more accurate to your leveling then a kill by kill. I have a spreadsheet I put my guys current AAs in each day (once) and then then next day and I know how well a group in a zone is doing. In a few short sessions you can test out areas and find that sweet spot. Like I have... not saying where cause this is level 1 AND you bastards keep crowding all my favorite spots lmao....

you can technically calculate about the average exp per kill knowing that .303 is the minimum it picks up... so if it takes 3 kills to equal .303 you can expect .101 average per kill of experience. If its 4 kills per .303 then you are looking at roughly .07575 exp per kill..

honestly id just pop exp potion and go to a lower tier zone and demolish everything in sight... if they are averaging .101 per kill they will get roughly the same on lower level content that would be red to them but lightblue/dark blue to your higher guys, from what ive experienced...

then again i just go afk with KISS up and let that shit PL the hell out of them lol

Question - Exp per kill capped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back