• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - INSANE EBay seller selling i7 quad PCs for $150 (1 Viewer)

sounds right with all the extra graphics crap off. Still sounds inefficient for me. Way too many monitors. Id rather just run 1 $1200 desktop with 36 toons.

I sort of agree William12, but my thought process is a little different. I'm more looking to have a box I can set near me that was inexpensive and I can do my semi-afk xp grinding on with graphics all turned off etc because I'm not playing or paying much attention.(Run 6-12 toons in non-raid situations) This frees up my expensive rig that can easily 36box already to play games from this millenium which is what I built it for. But with a 225 $ rig that can run 6-12 toons and comes with a monitor etc, I can put it next to me and semi-afk while I actually give my Titan X something to work on in the main rig :P.

@Raz thanks, I'll check out what this does and then maybe look for a card that runs off solely PCIe power.

I run 4 groups on http://www.microcenter.com/product/471814/Predator_17_G5-793-72AU_173_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black I put 32 gbs more ram in it since it had 2 empty ram slots. It has already paid for itself.

Towers take up too much room for me and use too much power. I just setup a shelf with 4 laptops and run a monitor for each. I use Input director to emulate the keyboard/mouse if I need to.

Admittedly they did cost more to setup but I can run more groups on them and they take up very little space.

Wait
You are not using the laptop monitor? you attach a monitor to the laptop?
If you are attaching additional monitors the SFF-small-form-factor corporate machines should take less space or building mini-ITX machines

350 - i7-770k not sure if this is best bang for buck on new cpu's at the moment...
150 - 32Gb ram
100 - SSD 250gb samsung - can probably go cheaper
090 - Mini ITX mobo - can go cheaper
040 - case you can also get cases that mount on the back of the monitor, overall smaller than a laptop
040 - psu - 500w
770$,

with a laptop going to get a less powerful CPU and cost 50% more and will take more space (unless you are using the monitor on the laptop)

The SFF machines that Razkle is posting are less powerful but you could buy 2 of them...

Last edited:
Wait
You are not using the laptop monitor? you attach a monitor to the laptop?
If you are attaching additional monitors the SFF-small-form-factor corporate machines should take less space or building mini-ITX machines

350 - i7-770k not sure if this is best bang for buck on new cpu's at the moment...
150 - 32Gb ram
100 - SSD 250gb samsung - can probably go cheaper
090 - Mini ITX mobo - can go cheaper
040 - case you can also get cases that mount on the back of the monitor, overall smaller than a laptop
040 - psu - 500w
770$,

with a laptop going to get a less powerful CPU and cost 50% more and will take more space (unless you are using the monitor on the laptop)

The SFF machines that Razkle is posting are less powerful but you could buy 2 of them...

I connect 2 monitors to the laptop and keep it closed on a shelf. It uses no real space because i don't use a keyboard mouse for it and the 2 monitors are mounted on my https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S7IDJQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 using 15 foot HDMI cords. Also your pricing doesn't include GPU :) If I was going to build one just to box I wouldn't go with a laptop. I would wait for the new AMD Ryzen CPUs that are 8 cores with 16 threads. The new AMD CPUs are out performing the best I7s in test right now. You could build a system with the R7 1800x that in theory could box 40 + toons for around $1K.

Also I wouldn't use stock cooler with any intel CPU ever so your pricing doesn't include the $75 Corsair H55-75 :)

I would wait for the new AMD Ryzen CPUs that are 8 cores with 16 threads. The new AMD CPUs are out performing the best I7s in test right now. You could build a system with the R7 1800x that in theory could box 40 + toons for around $1K.

Also I wouldn't use stock cooler with any intel CPU ever so your pricing doesn't include the $75 Corsair H55-75 :)
Currently Im running a i7 4xxxk and 16 gb of ram but when ryzen comes out im planning on getting that as a 2nd machine (new main machine) and we're going to see how far I can push it. they should come out around my birthday =)

Sweet! Got a low profile case and want to box? No Problem! I just got 4x 1gb ddr5 LP cards from this guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATI-Radeon-7570-1GB-GFX-Card-Low-Profile-GDDR5-PCIe-x16-DVI-DP-Dell/252787540039?_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3Df49b5ede16f741a8b006db34c7764971%26pid%3D100167%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D252787539497

he listed them and said, make offer, so I offered him $33 for 2 cards x 2 and he accepted! So for less then $75 I got 4 of these!

I sheer power of DDR5 over DDR3 or DDR2 is astounding! Take your cheap boxing to the next level!

News - INSANE EBay seller selling i7 quad PCs for $150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back