• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - INSANE EBay seller selling i7 quad PCs for $150 (1 Viewer)

Razkle

Single-handedly keeping Daybreak in business
RedCents
2,983¢
I just bought 3 HP Z200 Core i7-870 @ 2.93GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM for $159 bucks! And I gotta say these puppies are screaming fast! All you need to do is move over your hard drive from your old PC and your Everquest is BLAZING!

The guy ships them with 2 4gb chips so upgrading to 16gb is a snap with 2 more 4gb chips, no waste! and the Video card is smooth! The come with win7 pro COA so win 10 Pro is a free upgrade!

Seriously I bought 3 and everytime I bought 1 he puts up another one, he said he has a "few" so if you are thinking about i7, get this shit!

This thing has the good i7 proc in it see specs at INTEL Quad Core and Hyper Threading! For all your Boxing Needs!

If you go to the ebay link and it is sold check his sales he just relists the same one over and over, I have 3 now all relists from the original sale!

Last edited:
I am not adding this to Kiss
ok, so the plan is to ask 51 more times.....

- - - Updated - - -

I budgeted around $600 for a replacement pc, I got 3 for the price of the one I wanted, so its box time at my house again! hmmm now I need 3 more 24" monitors....

I should add a little word of caution to this otherwise great deal.

These HPs have i7-870 which is Intel Lynnfield 1st gen i7 from 2009 built on 45nm process: http://ark.intel.com/products/41315/Intel-Core-i7-870-Processor-8M-Cache-2_93-GHz

"The Last Great Leap Forward" happened in 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge in 2011 that was the final big improvement in Intel chips.

Ever since we have been stagnating(partially due to AMD sucking).

We are now on 6th Gen Skylake and an overclocked Sandy Bridge 2500k or 2600k can keep up with latest Skylake.

Very rough benchmark:
2009 i7-870: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7+870+@+2.93GHz
2011 i7-2600k(before OC): http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2600K+@+3.40GHz
2015 i7-6700k(before OC): http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-6700K+@+4.00GHz

The big thing is that 2600k Overclocks way more from the base than 6700k which is already at 4Ghz, while i7-870 is not supposed to be OCable.

So I'd recommend looking for a used Sandy Bridge or later systems. (I just bought a Sandy Bridge quad core system on eBay for $200 with the hard drive).

Again, if all you want to run is 8 boxes of EQ, then the system is fine, but if you want to build a general purpose machine then it is a little long in the tooth.

Cost vs Play I am more then happy with the systems I got, I can and have loaded up 24 clients on each one, yes I loaded 72 mother-fucking-MQ2-powered level 1s and all was well! The only change from my op was that I added 8gb more ram to each one, so 16gb Ram and more PC power then EQ will ever use! I also play planetside2 on one and it screams!

I also bought one, its a nice computer but not like insane great. Couple drawbacks looking at these types of deals

-Its Off-Lease (Its been used by a company for 3-5 years typically)
-Its Proprietary (Power supply CAN NOT be replaced so you will be stuck at 320 W) -No gaming GPU cards
-Its BIG (Full size ATX case. No hiding this monster)

Other than these drawbacks its a pretty sweet deal if you are computer savvy and not looking for a crazy gaming PC. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase, not like wow I got a steal happy, but happy. It will serve its purpose in the nerd closet.

The powersupply thing was interesting, until I did a little googling and you can get or make a molex adapter to let you put any powersupply in the beast, yes the case is large, but also quite and runs a very cool temp.

- - - Updated - - -

you can get a 480watt psu new from ebay

I had an old Geforce GTX 480 with a 550W min. Not going to be able to use that, it is a beast of a card and would fit right in that huge case lol. Oh well, like I said its still a good deal.

I found an amazon seller for the 480psu for $13 each free shipping, he had 2, I bought them both... will test a 550 ti on them

- - - Updated - - -

Well I am pleased as a 3 dicked man in a free whore house! I just put 2x8gb and 2x4gb ram in this thing and now I got 24gb ram, time to order another 2x8 and see if 32gb works, if soo I can run a whole raid on 1 pc! lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Unless anyone knows of any cheaper 2x8gb then $68 with shipping, I have been ordering these

Not sure why you all are stuck on power supply. Buy the graphics card and 550 or whatever powersupply and hook it up as an extra PS unit. Just have to connect 2 wires on the end to make sure it is always on.

Not sure why you all are stuck on power supply. Buy the graphics card and 550 or whatever powersupply and hook it up as an extra PS unit. Just have to connect 2 wires on the end to make sure it is always on.

Nope these PSU's are custom pin layout. Standard ATX Power supplys will not work. There is a couple DIY harnesses you can build but its not really worth it. There is no 550W PSU for these proprietary computers.

I understand for the motherboard itself but if you wanted to put in a higher end video card which requires a higher PS then buy one and pin the 2 wires together and hook it up to the video card. then your video card has its own PS and computer has its own. There is nothing stopping from adding that

the actual PSU box is the same size as any atx, about to transplant a 600w into the psu case and then just move the needed pins to the needed slots on the 20pin

Let me know how the PSU transplant goes, you are a brave man. The card that it comes with is decent and scores 1091 benchmark on videocardbenchmark.net so its not to bad. When doing the PSU remember to pull up the correct wiring diagram from HP, a lot of folks on here are making it seem way easier than it is.

I'd like to reiterate adding a 2nd PSU or changing from the default is not recommended nor should you buy this PC if you intend on doing this. The wiring harness will need to be re-pinned and the PSU is a lot larger than all the standard PSUs out there. Just buy a different PC if you want to throw a high end video card in this.

Just want to add I do love this system, its a beast for under $200. Just don't try to make it a $1000 dollar gaming rig, because that is just a horrible idea. I might buy another one for a FreeNAS unit because of its large size and capabilities with the SATA Connectors.

got a 550 ti in yesterday will retro a connector for the psu next and get back to you all

- - - Updated - - -

ordered a couple of THESE will "re-pin" them to convert atx to hp, should be easy peasy... and cheap!

How are you modifying the case to hold the ATX power supplies? I have a 600 Watt I was thinking of doing this with, but Noticed the HP PSUs are almost a full inch taller.

As of yesterday he is all out of them. He will not be listing anymore but is very thankful for all the recent orders he has got in.

How are you modifying the case to hold the ATX power supplies? I have a 600 Watt I was thinking of doing this with, but Noticed the HP PSUs are almost a full inch taller.

one word, transplant, I am moving the guts from the new ps to the psu case of the old....

my plan is to gut the old HP PSU and replace the guts with a 500watt unit and I found 24-20pin cable with 6" leads so I am just going to rewire that so it will be an adaptor for any psu. 1 of my 3 units is crashing with low power reported to windows, so I think its the PSU crapping out with 24 toons running

if the case is big enough to house a second 400wt atx just slap it in there somewhere and put a pin between like so. atx-power-bypass.jpg

then just connect your 8(or 6) pin pci-e to vidya cards. make sure the psu has a manual switch on it so you can actually turn it off after you shut down your PC. (also have to make sure you turn on the additional power supply before you power on the PC.

does not interact with your PC at all and just feeds power to the GPU. (i used it for bitcoin mining :P)

if the case is big enough to house a second 400wt atx just slap it in there somewhere and put a pin between like so. View attachment 8676

then just connect your 8(or 6) pin pci-e to vidya cards. make sure the psu has a manual switch on it so you can actually turn it off after you shut down your PC. (also have to make sure you turn on the additional power supply before you power on the PC.

does not interact with your PC at all and just feeds power to the GPU. (i used it for bitcoin mining :P)

I have done that trick before, mostly used tiny PSUs to power stuff like video cards or more hard drives or whatever. I had an external case with just hard drives,fans and a psu in it forever. Ran that shit right next to my main box and had 3' (yes three foot) Sata connectors running from 1 case to the other to make the drives local but housed in another box. I bet there was 10 fans in the second box. Then I got SSD and tossed that noisy shit out!

News - INSANE EBay seller selling i7 quad PCs for $150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back