• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Strategy - Keep track of your AFK crew from your phone (1 Viewer)

RedCents
861¢
Hi everyone, this is probably common knowledge, but I just wanna share for those who aren't aware, that if you have a smartphone of some kind you can keep track of your group from wherever you are. There are a couple programs that let you do this, TeamViewer is the most popular but it gives me issues with WinEQ2. Recently Google released Chrome Remote Desktop, which does basically the same thing, and I like it a lot better. These programs are pretty simple to use. You just download the program to your computer and the corresponding app to your phone. It makes me feel better about AFKing knowing that I can check up on my crew.

Links:
Chrome Remote Desktop
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...esktop/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp?hl=en

TeamViewer
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index_iphone.aspx

Good luck!

Camping out can be done or maybe restarting the macro if you have hotkeys set up. Things that need done quickly probably won't work well.

Yeah, you wouldn't be able to operate your crew normally, but with hotkeys set up for some things you can do those. For example, I was able to make my toons run and turn in their tasks and get them again, and then go back, because I had set up hotkeys to do so. But you couldn't for example fight with your crew without the use of a macro.

mq2eqbcs is the best afk tool out there... control you chars through console. You can view your zone, force commands, or just /q on all your characters. Skys the limit, but there isn't a graphic interface so you better know some console commands ;)

mq2eqbcs is the best afk tool out there... control you chars through console. You can view your zone, force commands, or just /q on all your characters. Skys the limit, but there isn't a graphic interface so you better know some console commands ;)

I like it for just responding to tells and things.

i cant get the mouse to work properly with teamviewer.

people say slashtop is nice but the way i understand it is you have to pay to access OTA.

Just to necro a thread I was surprised on how well regular Microsoft RDP worked between two 8.1 computers.

Granted they were in the same city and both were on 100mbit lines but I could do normal EQ/MQ2 things perfectly fine (zone, run macros, etc).

It seemed RDP was taking about 7mbit/s when stuff was happening. RDP tries to minimize bandwidth when nothing happens.

I did use a 640x480 EQ window within a 1920x1080 desktop. I did not dare to go full HD.

omg you can get an amazon cloud service for free, wondering.... nah it could never work..... or could it? actually run eq in the cloud and just rdp into it.... how insane!

(logging into my cloud now to try it)

I believe the problem with running EQ from "cloud" would be DirectX support, there are plenty of companies offering Windows Server VPS instances and even full machines, but I can't find one with proper graphics support.

That Leap Computing offer seems to take care of the graphics problem but is it operational already?

One problem I can see with LeapComputing is that they might not be counting on you running an instance 24/7, they figure no gamer is so hardcore. :) In fact their business model is built on oversell (just like all webhosts, ISPs etc etc are, nothing wrong with that as long as you realize this).

EDIT: I read a bit more on unofficial LeapComputing forums: https://leapcomputingforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39 and supposedly they are at a Region1(supposedly Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico & Louisiana) rollout, but no customers are able to play yet. It looks promising but they were advertising the same thing a year ago.

Anyone else using chrome remote desktop have problems with the keyboard working in game? If using eqw I can't type my password in, and if I log in through the station launcher I can get in game fine, but can't type at all. Which in the long run will work if I make hotkeys for everything I want to do and just use the cursor but it would definitely make things easier if the keyboard worked.

Thanks!

I personally use VNC (RealVNC) to do all my remoting. It's laggy as hell and has a horrible refresh rate, but it will render direct-x, and does allow keyboard and mouse to interact in DX windows. It's not viable for actually doing much other than logging out, logging in and starting a macro.. but to try to move a toon or sell to vendor.. it's not worth the hassle.

Anyone else using chrome remote desktop have problems with the keyboard working in game? If using eqw I can't type my password in, and if I log in through the station launcher I can get in game fine, but can't type at all. Which in the long run will work if I make hotkeys for everything I want to do and just use the cursor but it would definitely make things easier if the keyboard worked.

Thanks!

I use Chrome Remote between four computers in the house and one at work without issue. The biggest issue I have is using WinEQ and trying to ctrl+alt+<a number> to select specific session out of habit from my main computer set up. LOL

Chrome Remote is great. Highly recommend it! Very easy to set up, even easier to use. I run it on a 5 year old (notso)Smart Phone and am able to reset macros, check on tells, check exp, etc with very little lag.

I use Chrome Remote between four computers in the house and one at work without issue. The biggest issue I have is using WinEQ and trying to ctrl+alt+<a number> to select specific session out of habit from my main computer set up. LOL

I had the same issue, or rather plain alt-tab is pretty obnoxious with the way the default windows EQ instance behaves. To solve this I just started using an autohotkey script to tab between the windows.

Rich (BB code):
#SingleInstance on
DetectHiddenWindows, On

!+1::
IfWinExist, EverQuest
  WinActivate, EverQuest
return

!+2::
IfWinExist, eqbox1 - Chrome Remote Desktop
  WinActivate, eqbox1 - Chrome Remote Desktop
return

!+3::
IfWinExist, eqbox2 - Chrome Remote Desktop
  WinActivate, eqbox2 - Chrome Remote Desktop
return

Hotkeys here being alt+shift+1/2/3 and where `eqbox1` is equal to the chrome remote desktop window name.

Works flawlessly and I've never had a problem with it on phinny.

Strategy - Keep track of your AFK crew from your phone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back