• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - My recent experience with EQ (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

malphual

RedCents
413¢
I can use only one word to sum up my recent experience of coming back to Everquest after a 10 year hiatus. That word is "LAME"! It is an almost endless grind with extremely slow rewards. A player must grind for levels, grind for AAs, grind for gear, grind for rep, and none of it is especially easy or fast. The graphics to the game are in a word "LAME"! The game has had 20 expansions, but it seems that they forgot to upgrade the graphics. For example, there are 50 different types of mobs that are called "Horrors" but only three different models of "Horrors" (1. a man with antennas coming out of both sides of his head, 2. a part spider part woman, and 3. a cone shaped pile of crap). Don't get me wrong, I can handle grinding mobs if there is something worth looking at. But, grinding in Everquest is sort of like riding the last jackass in a long train going up the side of the Grand Canyon. Unless you are on the lead jackass, everything looks the same. Who is going to leave a real life meeting of friends today so they can go fight bats and rats in the Mines of Gloomingdeep? At one time it seemed like a great idea. However, with all of the other games available today, Everquest is simply "LAME!"

Well I am not replying to refute you statement, but only give what I take from EQ.

"Everquest" is just that to me, not instantquest, or nonquest. I enjoy the grind or "challenge" of completing quests and earning rewards.

For me EQ is my temporary escape from the military lifestyle I live. My children play console games, and I haven't felt the itch to play any of those games either. Since 1999, I have played on the same server (Test), and for the most part the same character. Now it hasn't been EQ all the time as I have had deployments and children have been born, but when I get back to the game it has always been enjoyable.

Again, just my opinion and not trying to derail your thoughts.

I can use only one word to sum up my recent experience of coming back to Everquest after a 10 year hiatus. That word is "LAME"! It is an almost endless grind with extremely slow rewards. A player must grind for levels, grind for AAs, grind for gear, grind for rep, and none of it is especially easy or fast. The graphics to the game are in a word "LAME"! The game has had 20 expansions, but it seems that they forgot to upgrade the graphics. For example, there are 50 different types of mobs that are called "Horrors" but only three different models of "Horrors" (1. a man with antennas coming out of both sides of his head, 2. a part spider part woman, and 3. a cone shaped pile of crap). Don't get me wrong, I can handle grinding mobs if there is something worth looking at. But, grinding in Everquest is sort of like riding the last jackass in a long train going up the side of the Grand Canyon. Unless you are on the lead jackass, everything looks the same. Who is going to leave a real life meeting of friends today so they can go fight bats and rats in the Mines of Gloomingdeep? At one time it seemed like a great idea. However, with all of the other games available today, Everquest is simply "LAME!"

Then don't play?

The game and leveling is ridiculously easy now compared to what it was 10 years ago. It seems like you'd be more happy in a game like WoW where they basically give you a free set of epics just for logging in. Enjoy your 'everyone gets a prize' type game where you don't have to work for anything.

Everyone plays for different reasons. I can understand coming back after being gone for 10 years since Everquest is completely different game. EQ is an incredible time sink to level up and AA even now with MQ2. There are so many games out today its hard to find one that fits with your play style and has an active community. If EQ doesn't do it for you then you have to move on to the next game you might like. I just hope we made it a little easier for you here at Redguides to try and play Everquest.

I also came back after 8 years of absence but my approach has been different, I do not worry too much about achieving anything, that is I enjoy Everquest warts and all.

With KA it is actually kind of fun to grind bats in Gloomingdale.

Also it is fun to write a macro to finish the tutorial.

I let MQ2 do the heavy lifting, I would not want to box by hand anymore (I 12-boxed in 2004 without MQ!). I am now 20-boxing with ease while I sleep.

In EQ (as in Real Life) you set your own goals as there is no ultimate Gooooaaaal.

For example, I set myself a goal to max out non prestige gear on my SK before next expansion and I have finished that. Sure, I will probably lose 10M plat when the expansion opens, but the process of gearing up was fun. Getting Epic 2.0 also was fun (although I would not want to do it again).

EQ these days let you play for 30mins a day or 10 hours a day it really is casual friendly. Just remember, like in Life you can't have it all.

I haven't played for a month or so but I will say after a long absence and starting back in the pre Kunark days I do appreciate the faster leveling and while the AA grind is a bit ridiculous I do enjoy fiddling with KA and trying different group combos. Being able to get a toon to 100 with little effort is the only reason I played as long as I did, I think playing without boxing nowadays would be pointless.

Have you ever been killed by a cone shaped pile of crap they call a "Horror"? How did that make you feel about your character? Did you brag to your friends and family? Did you say, "I am feeling pretty good about this game. I may have died, but at least it took a cone shaped pile of crap to take me down!"

Have you ever fallen behind on your AAs? It is ridiculous when you have to kill a million mobs just to get enough AA's to be viable at level 100. You think it's easy to level now? This forum is about cheats. I've always cheated at Everquest. When I played before there were pathing bugs that could easily be discovered with a pet class, then you could sit there all day and kill mobs without being touched. It is not easier now than it was then.

Gear is a mess in EQ! There is no explanation at any point about how to obtain the best gear. And as for having an epic handed to you in WoW, I don't know what you are talking about. I had to work my butt off to get legendary items for my account in WoW, but at least I knew what was required before I started. I could develop a plan with the assurance that I would get the gear.

So you basically want Sony to release a step by step walk through of the game for you to complete so you don't have to do any type of work whatsoever?

Have fun with WoW.

I play eq for 1 word, PLAYSTYLE....

I left EQ and went to game after game and held each of them up to the playstyle of EQ, they all failed to bring me the play of EQ, so I am back to EQ and will be until it ends....

Go play on P99 and get a character to 60 and geared up then tell me it was just as easy as it is now. I'll start a new level 1 character and I bet I get to 100 and geared before you can get to 60

Lets not make this more than it is. If someone doesn't like everquest then they don't like like it. End of story.

malphual:

I completely understand your problems with EQ. I have heard them hundreds of times over the years. I hope you find a game you enjoy.

Bashing EQ on an Everquest site is not going to go well.

Thread closed.

Discussion - My recent experience with EQ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back