• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Basic Plugin Creation Help (1 Viewer)

dobey

RedCents
10¢
Well I am making the plunge from macro writing to understanding plugins. I have a bunch of nice basic guides on C++ and am happily working through them now. I made a few basic things from the guides and am loving it.

My question here is: Could some of the experienced people here point me to some basic plugins (ie easy to look at and understand) that would be a good place to start. I learned about macros from some nice people here pointing me to good ones to start on, and just read and played with them till I understood each line, then moved on from there.

I am using IDA Pro and Bloodshed Dev-C++ if that matters. I guess what would help me best is a simple plugin with comments about each section of it to start.

Thanks for any help, or links to get me going in the right direction.

What I've been doing that has worked for me so far is getting all the sources I could from every plugin that I could find, not to use them persay, but to just know what they did at the memory level or the packet sending level to further understand how the whole behind the scenes thing works.

I, myself, am a very fast learner, I see something and am able to quickly understand it. I only started on this stuff a few weeks ago. I knew next to nothing about programming, I knew a little HTML, QBasic and VERY little Memory hacking. I now can understand what is going on when a plugin is opened and someone types /link Staff of the Serpent. What happens with packets are being processed, and what the plugin actually does when you warp to your target when you type /warp target. I've even written a few plugins myself, they are basic and they don't do much "hacking" but They work and they do what I intended them to do, so for that I am happy.

Look at what each Line says, think like the program, read it like the program would. When it calls a certain line, what exactly is it doing when it hits that point? What is being sent to EQ, what is being sent to the network, what is being sent to the Operating system to open more files or send a packet through the network or alter a memory location.

Then once you get a decent grasp on what is happening when it's opened, you can then look at understanding what floats are, dwords, bytes, what defines, if's, then's, VOIDs, API functions do, how packets are interpreted, and when certain things are actually altered in the games process.

This is how I learned, whether or not it will work for you, is an entirely different story.

I hope at least I was some help. The BEST advice I can give you is to pace yourself, you're going to run into brick walls a LOT. You're going to be discouraged a LOT. IT HAPPENS. Just take a break from it and step back in with a clear mind, I always had work going on, so I had other things I could do when I would get frustrated. Just take your time with it, It ISN'T going to just make sense over night.

Good Luck to you.

Basic Plugin Creation Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back