• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Global Warming? (1 Viewer)

BlackObsidian

RedCents
Well undoubtedly the world is a mix of people who feel that Global Warming can be slowed/stopped if we recycle, choose renewable energies etc and those who think that by destroying the planet we're actually doing the right thing to begin the rebirth of <insert deity here> etc

BUT is all the data, propaganda and media frenzy correct?

While I personally think it's "the right thing to do" regarding renewable energies, recycling etc there's a lot of information which suggests that our planet is actually going through it's natural cycle of temperature increase and that the correlation between CO2 emissions and earth's temperature in in fact correct, however the belief that CO2 is driving the temperature in reversed... That the earth's temperature is driving CO2...

Example here:-

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=4499562022478442170

Conspiracy or fact?

Indeed but it's a great opportunity to shape the world in any way governments see fit... Push the "Global Warming Threat" and make people do as the government want by fooling the public into believing it's entirely mankind's fault...

I had to shovel a ton of global warming off my driveway this winter, and had three global warming snow storms this month. In April. When I'm supposed to be enjoying spring showers, that bring May flowers, I had globally warmed snow instead.

I'm glad people are finally warming up to the idea of global warming
(pun =D), but people simply don't understand what it means. Global warming isn't something that happens all at once and raises the temperature by 10 degrees next year, it's a slow process.

When people say things like

SanityCheck said:
I had to shovel a ton of global warming off my driveway this winter, and had three global warming snow storms this month. In April. When I'm supposed to be enjoying spring showers, that bring May flowers, I had globally warmed snow instead.
it shows a lack of understanding for global warming truly is.

blackobsidian said:
by fooling the public into believing it's entirely mankind's fault...
No one says it's only our fault, only that we're making it much worse.

alucard said:
I'm glad people are finally warming up to the idea of global warming
(pun =D), but people simply don't understand what it means. Global warming isn't something that happens all at once and raises the temperature by 10 degrees next year, it's a slow process.

When people say things like

it shows a lack of understanding for global warming truly is.

No one says it's only our fault, only that we're making it much worse.

Saying we are making it worse is also political rhetoric. Its a natural cycle that has been going on long before man and it would continue after we are gone. If anything drives it, it would be a significant factor such as the sun, which is most likely it since more than one planet in our solar system is going through a warming period at the same time.

BobOfEQ said:
If anything drives it, it would be a significant factor such as the sun
The theory is that releasing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere traps the sun's heat, so it is in part the sun.

alucard said:
The theory is that releasing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere traps the sun's heat, so it is in part the sun.

Actually, natural particulate in the atmosphere, such as volcanic ash or the dust from dust storms, serves to trap more heat than just CO2.

The theory that the sun is responsible (on a large scale... not just because the sun warms the later of CO2 caused by my SUV) is in direct relation to the sun's "weather."

- American Institute of Physics
http://www.aip.org/pnu/2003/split/642-2.html

- BBC News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/56456.stm

Pick your source.

I am in Iraq...I have enough heat to spread around...

Actually its not bad here right now, only in the 90s

The planet has been in a "Global Warming" phase since the ice age otherwise all of North America would still be under ice. The other thing idiots like Gore don't tell u is that the polar ice caps on Mars have also been receding where there are no humans living..

Global warming is complete left wing political nonsense. I mean who the hell listens to idiots like this

" I propose a limitation be put on how many squares of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting "
Sheryl Crow

Mean time behind the "Global Warming Concert Stage" Sheryl and the other left wing quacks each have a huge tour bus that stays running, tons of rodie trucks etc all running to keep them in the comfort they do not want us to enjoy. Read this http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstagetour/scrow/scrow1.html

She is no different from Tom Cruse who wastes tons of fuel and creates more green house gas in one private jet flight then I will in an entire life time.. Or when one looks at the pollution and green house gas he creates during explosions in his various movies.

and don't even start me on Al "Hypocrite" Gore with his polluting Zinc mines and 10,000 square foot homes that burn 5000 dollars a month in heating fuel and his fleet of private Hummer limos, and Jets.

:D I saw this topic and had to post some statistics about global warming...
What was said in the first post about its the earth going through it's natural cycle is correct in my opinion.
Percentage affects on global warming is something like:
Planet Earth: 98%
All of mankind (cars, everything): 2%
or somewhere around there... so it's the governments way of trying us to stop driving 4x4's and to live a "greener" life.... in my opinion :D

you now in holland it soud be RAINING LIKE SHIT

but today on the news the said this is verry bad the land scape there i dry animals are dying there so its getting worst

this is the Warmest april in the History of holland

28tot21

Meanwhile here in the US, we just had one of the coldest, if not THE coldest Aprils in the last 100+ years....

I totally agree with the post about loony Sheryl Crow, Tom Cruise and the like. Just a bunch of Hollywood libs pulling the holier than thou routine on the rest of the public. Anyone who disagrees with the powers that be are blackballed. Why do you think some members of Congress are trying to reinstate the "Fairness" Doctrine? How fair is it to kick conservative talk radio hosts off the air. Personally, I don't like guys like Limbaugh or Imus, but hey...they have their First Amendment rights like everyone else. Any talk of Air America getting kicked? I highly doubt it, because they agree with the Hollywood left.

We're in a country where John Travolta can fly where he wants, when he wants in one of his FIVE jets, all the while spouting off about "global warming" and how we should cut back on our energy consumption.

Hypocrisy...don't ya just love it? :rolleyes:

ranjadown said:
Meanwhile here in the US, we just had one of the coldest, if not THE coldest Aprils in the last 100+ years....

And, I dont mean to pick on just you, but, there are two things wrong with what you and a few others said. You guys address global warming in the scope of the US. It is a global issue, hence the term, global warming. As a world, we recorded the hottest summer in the history of temperature in 2005. In 2006, it was even hotter. And 2007, well... it's projected to be even hotter than that.

And some people claim that this can be called a 'warming period', but it's more than that. Of course the earth has cycles, which is why we have multiple ice ages and multiple warming periods. But consider this, assume global warming is a real problem (which i believe). Glaciers in the north atlantic, (greenland, arctic, etc) begin to melt. Now, when the cold water melts, and mixes with the warmer atlantic water, you mess up the warm air currents in the ocean.
NorthAtlanticCurrent1.jpg

Now, an excess of cold water and cold air will cause this cycle to stop. Which will lead to a decrease in the continental climate of Europe/US. So, before you assume global warming will increase the temp., consider that it may lead to another ice age.

Last but not least, I truley recommend people watch An Inconvenient Truth, the Al Gore documentary. Put your political views aside, and watch it. Please, if you really want to learn about the issue, it helps alot. Ignorance won't solve anything. Learn the facts, then make a decision.

Boon, i'd like to point out one thing that has already been mentioned in this thread. <b>Earth is not the only planet in our solar system experiencing 'Global' warming</b>. That being said, i'd also like to point out that solar dynamic output has been increasing for many years, that Solar Astronomers have rooms full of documentation of this increase and that the politicos currently screaming "Global Warming and it's our fault" ignore this data and use global models taking only the data they want to use to prove their point. It's really easy to scream 'global warming' when your solar model data is being taken from a series of years (the 70's) KNOWN to have been a low output cycle of the sun and not being taken from current and updated data showing current energy output of the sun. I could be significantly more detailed but it's almost 1am in the morning and i've been awake for 37 hours now and my brain feels like mush and I can't think quite as clearly as I would like. A good place to get educated on current solar activity can be found here: http://www.sidc.be/ i'd suggest reading and learning more about the single greatest actor on our environment before falling into the politicos trap (and yes, I did see 'An Inconvient Truth" I believe it needs a title change to "Here, let me fill you with fear and lies to make you do what makes me more money"

Dragon

additional point here, Al Gore is heavly tied into industries that would directly finacialy benefit from any laws/activities related to a public 'outcry' about global warming that he may develop through his movie etc. it's nothing more than finacial politics based on manipulated data using outdated information and modeling. Like you said though, and I 100% agree, put your politics aside, do your own research after watching the movie and come to your own conclusions, don't be a sheeple.

~D

Last edited:
An Inconvenient Truth is nothing but the propaganda machine in full swing. It's a movie about miseducating people as to the cause/s of Global Warming which is why this thread was created.

Watch "The Great Global Warming Swindle" linked in the first post.

Yea, of course it's politically biased. But, it's wrong to say that what he is saying is false. Or that he is doing it because of politics. You can't take any topic and say it should be disregarded as false and propagandous just because it has a certain political backing. Of course Gore has alot to gain from this.

Using your reasoning, in say, the tobacco industry. We say the liberals, who hypothetically have ties to anti-tobacco firms, support a ban on smoking (Choice A), and the conservatives, with ties to pro-tobacco firms, support the opposite (Choice B). You can't say just say that only logical choice is neither of the two. Or that Choice C is correct... but now im just babbling.

and yes, i know propagandous is not a word.

Many disagree with Gore on many fronts...his global warming theory is just one of them. We don't disagree with Gore just because he's Gore...we use logic from facts gathered from actual scientists, climatologists, etc. None of us here is an "expert" per say (at least I don't think), we can only go on the information provided. Seeing how Gore presents that CO2 causes temperature to rise, and actual scientists present the exact opposite, I'm more inclined to believe the scientist over the guy who got a "C" in science and is saying that there is no debate. Looking back on Gore's political career, I see it as more deception on his part (see his wink and nod approach to Russia selling nuclear subs to IRAN). Anyone who agrees with Gore gets funded...anyone skeptical gets black balled, and unfortunately, that's how things have become in this country. The media is partly to blame as well, as they're helping the "fear-mongering", to steal a term from the US left. Global warming is all hype. It is a natural cycle the earth goes through, so why are we breaking our balls to save a fraction of a degree celcius over the next 50 years?

.b00n. said:
Yea, of course it's politically biased. But, it's wrong to say that what he is saying is false. Or that he is doing it because of politics. You can't take any topic and say it should be disregarded as false and propagandous just because it has a certain political backing. Of course Gore has alot to gain from this.

Gore = CO2 Level Rise is CAUSING Global Warming.
Science = Global Warming is CAUSING CO2 Level Rise.

Even if An Inconvenient Truth isn't yet another method of a governemnt around the world controlling people it's pure is-education and Al Gore is completely irresponsible for putting his name on the movie judging on how far from the "Truth" it really it...

I'd also like to clear-up the definition of Propaganda I was referring to...

m-w.com said:
Main Entry: pro·pa·gan·da
Pronunciation: "prä-p&-'gan-d&, "prO-
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Congregatio de propaganda fide Congregation for propagating the faith, organization established by Pope Gregory XV died 1623
1 capitalized : a congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions
2 : the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person
3 : ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect

The type of propaganda created by An Inconvenient Truth is type 2, "the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person" hence my choice of using the word to describe the situation. :)

As for Gore I'm not sure I can listen to the ideas of someone who tried to tell me they invented the internet.

TSPlayer62 said:
As for Gore I'm not sure I can listen to the ideas of someone who tried to tell me they invented the internet.

Urban myth – try actually find out what he really did say and you will be disappointed. But again for many its easier to just to believe what you want to.

According to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States without the strong support given to it and related research areas by the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as Senator."

Media reports surrounding this statement sometimes re-wrote it, stating that Gore claimed he "invented the internet".[10] However, Gore received support from members of the computer industry, notably Internet pioneers Vint Cerf and Robert E. Kahn. Cerf and Kahn issued the following statement on 2000-09-28 in response to the controversy:

[A]s the two people who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that make the Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore's contributions as a Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time.

Last year the Vice President made a straightforward statement on his role. He said: "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." We don't think, as some people have argued, that Gore intended to claim he "invented" the Internet. Moreover, there is no question in our minds that while serving as Senator, Gore's initiatives had a significant and beneficial effect on the still-evolving Internet. The fact of the matter is that Gore was talking about and promoting the Internet long before most people were listening. We feel it is timely to offer our perspective.[11]

blackobsidian said:
Gore = CO2 Level Rise is CAUSING Global Warming.
Science = Global Warming is CAUSING CO2 Level Rise.

Well yes there is one or two Scientist that are saying that. Maybe a couple more if you count Rush and GB as scientist.

blackobsidian said:

Ok ok more then two, 17 according to Wiki. The first paragraph sums it all up. Thanks for the link.

Climate scientists agree that the global average surface temperature has risen over the last few decades. Within this general agreement, a small number of scientists disagree with the conclusions drawn by the mainstream scientific community that most of this warming is attributable to human activities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Global_warming_skeptics for the number of KNOWN skeptics...

To be honest with you it's perfectly possible that mankind isn't helping Global Warming at all. In fact I think it's a good thing that we're trying to be better for the benefit of the planet but there's no escaping that factors like the natural cycle of the planet, El Niño and maybe the sun etc are a teensy bit more likely to be the cause than mankind itself.

k, ready for my opinion?

fuck global warming

k, ready for my explanation?

al gore is a deuce

enough said.

black, i give you my first redcent in awhile. i almost feel a lack of need to speak for your words are exact of my thoughts toward the subject.

It has been known for some time now that the earth has gone through many cycles of ice age, *geese, didnt anyone pay atention in science class* and unless the law of uniformity is completely false, were going to have another. weither we speed it up with CFC's or whatever other thing people can try to make us feel guilty with, were still going to have one.

Why thankyou :)

I just like to encourage active debate... I guess that's the reason I post so much stuff in General nowadays ;)

Last edited:
LordPinhead said:
black, i give you my first redcent in awhile. i almost feel a lack of need to speak for your words are exact of my thoughts toward the subject.

It has been known for some time now that the earth has gone through many cycles of ice age, *geese, didnt anyone pay atention in science class* and unless the law of uniformity is completely false, were going to have another. weither we speed it up with CFC's or whatever other thing people can try to make us feel guilty with, were still going to have one.

that's just ridunkulous... and yes, that's not a word either. No one is arguing that the world isn't following some pattern that it has since it's beginning. That is common knowledge and accepted fact. For anyone to think that we can stop a natural cycle from occuring, they should be shot. Or hanged. In public. The idea is, the rapid increase in climate and decreased period in the natural cycle is a major problem. Consider the following... The first ice age was hypothesized to be about 2.5 billion years ago. The first we can prove was during the cryogenian period, about 800 million years ago. And the most recent ice age started about 37 million years ago. And since then, we have had glacial periods, with about 30-40 thousand years between them. Now, if all this global warming stuff was true, the next glacial period would occur around 11 thousand years from the last. That's not right.

And I don't understand what the whole argument is. Whether you accept the popular theory, or the other theories, what harm can be done from living healthier, cleaner lives? I mean, i guess i like inhaling pollutants... You shouldn't trash the Earth just because we don't think it's gonna prevent an ice age.

Global Warming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back