• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Yet another filling the group question. Bonus debate wiz vs mage. (1 Viewer)

SomeTester

RedCents
924¢
Current group: All 115 Bard/SK/Mag/Shaman/Ber/Merc(caster).

I’m adding a 6th and I like variety so I don’t want to duplicate classes. Beastlord seems but.... boring? Should I add a cleric and let the shaman go full DPS? Do shamans even do good DPS?? I’m not really feeling a monk or rogue since I have a zerker, they feel very similar. What else is there? What’s a fun spicy class that makes a difference?

Bonus Question:
I have a 115 Necro or 110 wiz I can swap out with the mage. Fights lately seem too short for Necro dots to do much so I’m mainly using the mage. What’s going to offer better DPS/Utility between these 3 at 115?

Edit to add: I’m on test so all access full AA yadda yadda yadda.

Last edited:
Necromancer

Was actually discussing this just yesterday how a Necro would compliment a caster group with their group mana tap. Mobs don't even need mana to tap them. My necro is essentially full mana all the time. My previously mana sucking leech of an enchanter has found stability. Healer never really had a problem but now it's certainly near impossible to lose out on mana. The bard still compliments the mage/nec portion of the group.

At this point your zerker is the odd man out from rolling a full caster lineup.

Bread and button this line of spells.
1610080796837.png

heh, zerkers are the epitome of boring, all they do is hit things. If that mage/nec/wiz are all on different accounts, drop the zerker and roll all three, IMO. Then at least you get an evac/ports.

Read this .. your mage is out of place.. the mage pet benefits but not his spell or his synergy.

Add a BL and Cleric and yes, let your shammy go battle mode , your group would be pretty much unstoppable .. if u wanted to rep out the shammy with another dps then you would be in more of top end box group

Necromancer

Was actually discussing this just yesterday how a Necro would compliment a caster group with their group mana tap. Mobs don't even need mana to tap them. My necro is essentially full mana all the time. My previously mana sucking leech of an enchanter has found stability. Healer never really had a problem but now it's certainly near impossible to lose out on mana. The bard still compliments the mage/nec portion of the group.

At this point your zerker is the odd man out from rolling a full caster lineup.

Bread and button this line of spells.
View attachment 27247
So I have my mage and Necro on the same account. are
You saying necro > mage?

Current group: All 115 Bard/SK/Mag/Shaman/Ber/Merc(caster).

I’m adding a 6th and I like variety so I don’t want to duplicate classes. Beastlord seems but.... boring? Should I add a cleric and let the shaman go full DPS? Do shamans even do good DPS?? I’m not really feeling a monk or rogue since I have a zerker, they feel very similar. What else is there? What’s a fun spicy class that makes a difference?

Bonus Question:
I have a 115 Necro or 110 wiz I can swap out with the mage. Fights lately seem too short for Necro dots to do much so I’m mainly using the mage. What’s going to offer better DPS/Utility between these 3 at 115?

Edit to add: I’m on test so all access full AA yadda yadda yadda.

I'd go Mage, do a full pet build (on all your chars) with clickies to max your "...of Many lineup" and use alliance. I run dual mages with that and they constantly clock in at 10mil plus per fight

So I have my mage and Necro on the same account. are
You saying necro > mage?
I don't necessarily think that necro is better than mage, I think they are pretty similar after the dot revamp. But necro has less downtime thanks to all the mana abilities they have. Plus you get a reliable FD puller if you absolutely need...

See, I’m getting to the point where my AAs are almost done. And I’m doing less short fight grinding and more naked mobs and missions where I need the better DPS. I’m currently grinding out some Necro AA to see where he compares to my mage on missions like restless assault and such.

Meh...just run of out group range with tank puller and coh w/ mage. It'll clear any and all aggro...old school trick. You don't need fd. I do it all the time when i goof a pull w/ war and fade is down

I run a group with mag and necro.. and i would have too say a good 75 -80% of the time, my necro is out dpsing my mag ( this is on fights lasting roughly 40 - 50s ) I am using the MQ2DPSAdv plugin to base this information on.. so im not 100% sure how acurate that is though. both have their plus sides.. necro gives oh shit/backup rez when it hits the fan with FD, and convergance.. but mag has a MUCH beefier pet and CoTH.. and HUGE DS at the higher lvls..

i'm a bit odd haha. here are some thoughts.
ports are awesome
my shaman seems to heal and dps just fine. havn't noticed an either / or situation yet.
bst boosts the entire group (including mage pet) can backup tank (for a few seconds with pet haha), backup heal, backup slow. I've hated bst for 20 years (monk main) but, they are pretty amazing.
not sure wiz + mag helps all that much. mage double invis run to spot then group coth or wiz double invis run to spot bind and group port to bind. buddy plays a mage and i keep a wizzy near where we are hunting for ports. have yet to get into a situation where both are really "needed".
have fun!

So as of right now I’m between a beastlord or cleric. Both offer decent buffs. With the cleric I can go full DPS on the shaman. It seems like the Beastlord would have good synergy with everyone else’s melee dps. Considering my shaman heals really well already and a beastlord has dps, buffs and patch heals I may lean towards beastlord more.

I main a bard, nobody pulling better than me.

I hear that all the time, but my SK will challenge ! :) as long as I don't have to pick any locks =P

Pet pull , Pet F/D , then Summon Pet just isn't used enough properly. The standard pulling is solid, but knowing to how to use the pet isn't used to its potential.

I know the bard is amazing with fade, but there hasn't been a single camp / zone / mob I couldn't pull or split if I get bored enough to single out.

So far it is looking like that. I’m not very impressed with the Necro currently.

A lot of this depends on what content you are in TOV and definitely COV The necro will destroy the mage. Older content mage will destroy Them.

So I run my 3 dps (6box) setup where the dps are all on same accounts. Currently have monk, necro, mage, wiz (Retired useless) ber. going to do rogue soon.

The ber is my defecto For tough missions but frankly necro is incredible also. I haven’t yet but I’m going to take necro through COV progression to see their dps. I will say your spell setup matters and you almost need two flavors - one for very long fights and one for normal fights. My necros on zlandi mission for example put out some fun numbers But alliance plus all their spells i the reason.

All that said in the latest expat it’s pretty much. Ber/rogue -—- melee/necro - mage ——————————————- wiz. Wiz is so broken at the moment i truly feeel bad for the class.

Last edited:
A lot of this depends on what content you are in TOV and definitely COV The necro will destroy the mage. Older content mage will destroy Them.

So I run my 3 dps (6box) setup where the dps are all on same accounts. Currently have monk, necro, mage, wiz (Retired useless) ber. going to do rogue soon.

The ber is my defecto For tough missions but frankly necro is incredible also. I haven’t yet but I’m going to take necro through COV progression to see their dps. I will say your spell setup matters and you almost need two flavors - one for very long fights and one for normal fights. My necros on zlandi mission for example put out some fun numbers But alliance plus all their spells i the reason.

All that said in the latest expat it’s pretty much. Ber/rogue -—- melee/necro - mage ——————————————- wiz. Wiz is so broken at the moment i truly feeel bad for the class.
Well I’m glad I never dusted off my wizard lol. I hear they can put up ok numbers while meleeing because of procs. I never found a kiss ini I liked for Necro or mage so I just run them with rgmerc. It’s consistent and gets the job done. I like the mage but I don’t love it. Same with the Necro. It sucks that I love the wizard! I like the idea of a dude sitting back and just raining hell down from the sky lol.

Well I’m glad I never dusted off my wizard lol. I hear they can put up ok numbers while meleeing because of procs. I never found a kiss ini I liked for Necro or mage so I just run them with rgmerc. It’s consistent and gets the job done. I like the mage but I don’t love it. Same with the Necro. It sucks that I love the wizard! I like the idea of a dude sitting back and just raining hell down from the sky lol.

So I will say I use isb so I can control my dps. I find I can outperform any of the macro by far - so keep that in mind. That said a necro has always been easy to box because it's just a series of socials.

I liked the wiz even run them with a ench but they just don't keep up. I do think overall because of how scalable/sustainable bard adps is, melee just simply is scaling better especially with hp bloat. This has made necros a little more useful in like T2 COV mobs last a bit like the dracos in DN.

Really depends on the content though and long term goals. My big thing is I always want a team that can power through tough content for the other weaker teams. COV this time around that was crusaders (would hate to do that without real dps). Meanwhile though I've been able to knock progression out for my whole crew and a number of friends stuck which is always nice.

So I will say I use isb so I can control my dps. I find I can outperform any of the macro by far - so keep that in mind. That said a necro has always been easy to box because it's just a series of socials.

I liked the wiz even run them with a ench but they just don't keep up. I do think overall because of how scalable/sustainable bard adps is, melee just simply is scaling better especially with hp bloat. This has made necros a little more useful in like T2 COV mobs last a bit like the dracos in DN.

Really depends on the content though and long term goals. My big thing is I always want a team that can power through tough content for the other weaker teams. COV this time around that was crusaders (would hate to do that without real dps). Meanwhile though I've been able to knock progression out for my whole crew and a number of friends stuck which is always nice.
I don’t really have a goal. I guess doing the progression without too much struggle. So far so good with my 6 crew.

I run WAR,CLR,BRD,MAG,BER,WIZ and I have a shaman that is inter changeable with the cleric. I use the mage solely for DPS, CoH and pet tanking in case something happens to my tank the pet can deal with it till the cleric puts out a battle rez. The wizard is dps and taxi service and the evac is nice for ahhh shit moments. The berserker is just a beast for dps and not alot else. The utility of the bard cannot be understated selo, dual invis, and all the adps songs. If you max out the focus aa's for insults and dot songs the dps becomes competitive as well and the bard is got to be the best puller ingame and can fetch a corpse no problem. War is the best tank for mitigation and has the best survivability but the lack of spells and limited aoe taunts can make it a bit of a pain but with the bard teh mez comes in fast and normally isnt a problem. The cleric best healer period. If you are not going for top teir stuff like current missions and or T2 rares then you will be just fine if you go with a Sk and Shaman the WAR and CLR jsut give you that extra assurance that you can defeat you mob. I tend to prefer the utility over top dps because quality of life is also valuable otherwise id roll 3 berzerker or 3 wizards for alliance.

I run WAR,CLR,BRD,MAG,BER,WIZ and I have a shaman that is inter changeable with the cleric. I use the mage solely for DPS, CoH and pet tanking in case something happens to my tank the pet can deal with it till the cleric puts out a battle rez. The wizard is dps and taxi service and the evac is nice for ahhh shit moments. The berserker is just a beast for dps and not alot else. The utility of the bard cannot be understated selo, dual invis, and all the adps songs. If you max out the focus aa's for insults and dot songs the dps becomes competitive as well and the bard is got to be the best puller ingame and can fetch a corpse no problem. War is the best tank for mitigation and has the best survivability but the lack of spells and limited aoe taunts can make it a bit of a pain but with the bard teh mez comes in fast and normally isnt a problem. The cleric best healer period. If you are not going for top teir stuff like current missions and or T2 rares then you will be just fine if you go with a Sk and Shaman the WAR and CLR jsut give you that extra assurance that you can defeat you mob. I tend to prefer the utility over top dps because quality of life is also valuable otherwise id roll 3 berzerker or 3 wizards for alliance.
Try rolling 3 mages for alliance, I'm getting 10-14 mil per mage in cov atm...life is good :)

Ive had a wizzy since raiding Trak was the new expansion. DPS has gone down in ratio to other classes during the years, especially the last few but....evac and porting still make up for it imo. BUT, I wouldnt trade Group COH for anything. So, I still have that wizard but also have 4 mages!

Question - Yet another filling the group question. Bonus debate wiz vs mage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back