• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Wizard Utility? (1 Viewer)

Gekko

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
4,554¢
Hi all,

Currently I am developing a 6 man box team consisting of SK, ENC, CLR, MAG, MAG, BST. I was doing an old school Kunark dungeon crawl the other night. The dungeon was 2 zones away from the closest POK pedestal. When I was done the casters just gated back to POK, but the SK and BST had to run through 2 zones to get back to the POK portal.

My question is should I consider replacing 1 MAG with a WIZ for the teleport utility, or would I be losing too much DPS? I guess a follow up question is: porting aside, does the MAG provide more utility than the WIZ.

Since I have not played in a good 18 years, the EQ of today seems like a different game, and I truly feel like a n00b.

Thanks for the ideas and opinions,

Be well.

Dont do, you will hate yourself. Wiz arnt terrible in the group game.. they just arnt good enough to justify a spot. druid gives you ports dps and heals.. wiz.. ports.. so if ease of travel is a concern, take a druid. I move multi groups around, and it really doesnt bother me (drop a campfire in gh, gl, pok).

Dont do, you will hate yourself. Wiz arnt terrible in the group game.. they just arnt good enough to justify a spot. druid gives you ports dps and heals.. wiz.. ports.. so if ease of travel is a concern, take a druid. I move multi groups around, and it really doesnt bother me (drop a campfire in gh, gl, pok).

@durango773 I keep seeing campfire referenced in other threads on other topics. I am not familiar with campfires so will have to investigate.

Thanks again.

@durango773

So if I read everything correctly, when you drop a camp fire, you can port back to it every 15 using the clicks from the POK tutorial. Is that correct? As an analogy, it is like using the port to guild hall ability in EQ2 which can be used by casters and non-casters alike.

With this new information in hand, it looks like I won’t need a group porter. Red cents for you sir. This was Great info.

Also worth noting - As the game progresses into the later expansions, you're never more than a few zones from PoK/Guild Hall anymore, and ports become far less valuable in my opinion. Each expansion for many years all the new zones are closely connected and there's an easy way to get to all of them.

I mained a Wizard for awhile when I boxed by hand and never really felt like I missed ports when I switched mains.

For a port to Greater Guild Hall, you can use Primary Anchor Transport Device and/or Secondary Anchor Transport Device which can be attained from the Loyalty merchant in PoK. Basically it will give you an item that you can place in the GGH (or your house in the neighborhood district) and then, once it's placed, you can click that to port straight to it every 72 minutes.

Plus you can always just buy gate potions for the melee characters or get the Drunkard's Stein when that anniversary quest becomes available again (though we're several months off from that).

That all being said, campfires are great and there's no time limit on destroying old campfires and replacing them elsewhere. So you could setup camp in the zone you're fighting in and drop a campfire behind you in case you wipe. Then just replace the campfire in PoK once your casters have gated whenever you need to move.

@Avian

Another great idea. Place the campfire at the zone in or another safe spot and gate the cleric back to start resizes in case of a wipe. It’s like having 2 bind locations. Sorry I ran out of red cents for today or else that would be a red cent imho

@Semnae I forgot about Shammy potions; it has been so long. I would have to create one and skill up the tradeskill though but still great idea. Will investigate starting a guild but that might be a costly/time consuming endeavor.

I created a wizzie and leveled him with one group. He was always out of mana, and holding the whole group up. I second using a druid if you really want a porter. I use my druid all the time personally. I lose some group DPS, but love the damage shield and Evac capabilities. I also use the secondary and tertiary recall to scout around. I wish I could drop a campfire with just my druid. 😁

The following assumes you are on Live or a TLP with these abilities in era:

Campfire (You mentioned this).
Throne of Hero's AA will port you to guild lobby like once per hour (I'm guessing on time, I've never looked at the refresh).
Origin will take you to starting city.
If you are in a guild with a new guild hall, you can buy the anchor packages from the loyalty vendor in PoK and place your anchors in guild hall.
Befriend a Shaman or someone with a shaman box to make you some gate potions.

Hope this helps!

Question - Wizard Utility?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back