• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Windows 11 Dev Version, EQ and MQ2 my experience (1 Viewer)

Cybris

Old Timer
RedCents
2,257¢
Decided to do some testing on Windows 11 Dev Version.
Definitely had some hiccups the main issue was getting Everquest to run not MQ2.

So I had make some configuration changes.

First had to change some of the compatibility settings on both the Everquest shortcut and eqgame.exe

1. Select run as Administrator (Only do this if running EQ in non-default folder that requires Admin Rights to update)
2. Set compatibility to Windows 7
3. Select High DPI settings and select System (enhanced)

EQClient.ini set
WindowedMode=True

If I made any variation in any of the above settings EQ itself would not run correctly with various glitches.
So far I have not had any issues running MQ2 but keep posted.

Last edited:
Decided to do some testing on Windows 11 Dev Version.
Definitely had some hiccups the main issue was getting Everquest to run not MQ2.

So I had make some configuration changes.

First had to change some of the compatibility settings on both the Everquest shortcut and eqgame.exe

1. Select run as Administrator
2. Set compatibility to Windows 7
3. Select High DPI settings and select System (enhanced)

EQClient.ini set
WindowedMode=True

If I made any variation in any of the above settings EQ itself would not run correctly with various glitches.
So far I have not had any issues running MQ2 but keep posted.
Which version did you use 21996.1 or 22000.51?

I’m not running Windows 11 but that administrator thing sounds like you have EQ in a place your normal account didn’t have access to.

I’m not running Windows 11 but that administrator thing sounds like you have EQ in a place your normal account didn’t have access to.
Yep, just tried it on my VM and putting EQ on a separate partition (how I normally do) no admin rights are needed. Am not seeing any types of glitches but it could be because I am running it in a VM and not a real computer, driver problem maybe?

I don't follow windows development much at all, other than what I hear 2nd hand. What is the directX situation and how much of a liability is being dependent on DX9 going to be for EQ?

I don't follow windows development much at all, other than what I hear 2nd hand. What is the directX situation and how much of a liability is being dependent on DX9 going to be for EQ?
i've been curious of this for a while

Its interesting you note this.. I just recently (last couple days) pushed some new Windows 10 beta updates to my pc and now I'm having whack issues with scaling in EQ.. and only way to resolve is to change my scaling in my display settings to any number other than what its current setting was (150%), and then back to 150 to get them to go full window screen.. no matter when I'd start EQ, it will start in a tiny window, and only after i do that trick, it would scale up properly to the full screen size..

The fix cybris listed for windows 11 fix also fixes this situation.. just in case anyone else is having this problem..

it is interesting DirectX is designed to be backwards compatible but for some reason in later versions the DX9 dll's are not all included and EQ requires these to run. fortunately it's included in the install.

Win11 itself requires a DX12 compatible Vid Card though to even install it as well as a motherboard with a TMP 2.0 chip that's enabled through the bios.

Its interesting you note this.. I just recently (last couple days) pushed some new Windows 10 beta updates to my pc and now I'm having whack issues with scaling in EQ.. and only way to resolve is to change my scaling in my display settings to any number other than what its current setting was (150%), and then back to 150 to get them to go full window screen.. no matter when I'd start EQ, it will start in a tiny window, and only after i do that trick, it would scale up properly to the full screen size..

The fix cybris listed for windows 11 fix also fixes this situation.. just in case anyone else is having this problem..

Yeah, I definitely get some wonky issues with scaling and multiple displays with EQ the High DPI settings help with that.

your probably right, That is a hold over from back in the day when it used to default to the Program Files x86 dir

Edit: Tested turning of the Admin setting worked just fine. adjusting initial post.

Last edited:
Win11 itself requires a DX12 compatible Vid Card though to even install it as well as a motherboard with a TMP 2.0 chip that's enabled through the bios.
Microsoft might change it later but Windows 11 really does not REQUIRE those things it just won't install without them without some trickery. I decided to install it on my Inspiron 1351 which does not meet the requirements at all and everything seems to be working fine so far, both EQ and MQ are working without problem that I can see. I wonder if MS is trying to stimulate hardware buying or if there is some actual reason (other than "we want it to be this") for those requirements that I can't find?

Microsoft might change it later but Windows 11 really does not REQUIRE those things it just won't install without them without some trickery. I decided to install it on my Inspiron 1351 which does not meet the requirements at all and everything seems to be working fine so far, both EQ and MQ are working without problem that I can see. I wonder if MS is trying to stimulate hardware buying or if there is some actual reason (other than "we want it to be this") for those requirements that I can't find?

Current theory seems to be leaning toward pushing DRM strategies. That wasn't what TMP was designed for, but there are efforts to co-opt it in that way.

The TPM requirement is actually optional ATM as you can set in registry to bypass it. Along with a few other settings. details can be found with a basic websearch on win11 and TPM. I am content to stay with win10 for a few years (will have to see if win11 worth the trouble :P), especially after seeing how the tpm module market is gouging atm, by then (we have til 2025) i may just get a new MB, this one only 2 yrs old...

Most CPUs amd or intel from the last 5 years should have the TPM its just disabled on your MB by default and firmware updates will turn it on or you can go do it.

Discussion - Windows 11 Dev Version, EQ and MQ2 my experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back