• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Windows 10 memory optimization on Windows 7? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,116¢
Okay I am not a big fan of Windows 10's forced updates, telemetry, etc.

However, Windows 10 memory usage optimization is amazing for multiboxing!

When you run multiple boxes in the same zone, Windows 10 optimizes the memory so that duplicate boxes drop down to 90-150MB per eqgame.exe. You have one box running at full 600-700MB and the other ones at reduced memory footprint.

This is probably old news to many, but until now I'd been a hardcore Windows 7 supporter.

Seeing this huge improvement over Windows 7 where all eqgame.exe remain at full 500-900MB (plus of course the Everquest memory leaks push that value higher over time).

Anyone figure out how to get something similar to Windows 7?

When you run multiple boxes in the same zone, Windows 10 optimizes the memory so that duplicate boxes drop down to 90-150MB per eqgame.exe. You have one box running at full 600-700MB and the other ones at reduced memory footprint.

This is probably old news to many, but until now I'd been a hardcore Windows 7 supporter.

Seeing this huge improvement over Windows 7 where all eqgame.exe remain at full 500-900MB (plus of course the Everquest memory leaks push that value higher over time).

Yep! Run Windows 10! It's better over here on the dark side anyway!

Seriously, I do PC support for a living. Since the widespread adoption of Win10 my business has fallen dramatically. Win10 is MUCH more reliable even taking into account the problems with twice yearly re-installations they euphemistically call feature updates. You can still get Win10 for free from M$ if you claim you are using the disability features.

Where do you get this windows 10 optimazation from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it is really reducing the memory usage, it is just reducing the reported size, so it is like faking it. I was running a bunch of clients so I was at 88% when I started, after enabling Moo0 and seeing the client usage drop from about 900MB to 90MB, the Physical Memory usage percentage still stayed at 88%.

Yeah microscope, Moo doesn't seem to free memory instantly but does it over time. I'm not an expert on how computer memory works, but Moo seems to ask EQ what it really needs and mark the extra as "available." So if another program needs memory, it will use that "available" memory that EQ had. Once the other program frees it up, it enters the actual free memory as reported.

My task manager shows the programs drop from 800K down to 100K right away, but the overall memory percentage doesn't drop right away. It does go down over time though. Here is an example I just ran on my laptop.

Windows 7 with 8mb memory - Running 6 characters

Baseline Task Manager results, all background programs stayed the same during testing

• 54% memory used

Load six characters - Not using Moo
  • 85% memory used - initial loading - eqgame.exe's vary from 837k to 886k memory
  • 87% memory used - 5 minutes of running KA - exe vary from 853k to 900k memory
  • 86% memory used - 20 minutes of running KA - exe vary from 853k to 913k memory

Same six characters - Use Moo once after loading characters

• 83% memory used - Use Moo "Free Unused Mem" - eqgame.exe's vary from 76k to 111k memory
  • 74% memory used - 15 minutes of running KA - exe vary from 163k to 238k memory
  • 68% memory used - 30 minutes of running KA - exe vary from 192k to 268k memory

So for my Windows 7 system, Moo seems to be the difference between 6-boxing using 31% of my memory and it dropping to 14%.

My Windows 10 system does something similar. EQ instances start out large as the load the game and zone. If I stay in the same zone, Win10 will slowly cut the memory usage as it can. I don't bother using Moo on the Win10 machine.

WOW thanks I didn't know it would go down over time. I still have it installed so I will start using it again. I usually get to about 88% memory when I six box which is not v nice as loading too much stuff in my browser can push it up close to 100%. Even a 10% improvement would be well worth it :)

No problem, I'm really happy Sym shared it awhile back. Also, zoning will reset the memory usage, so you have to redo it once in awhile. But for grinding it is great, do it once and in 20-30 minutes your memory is all set. Yeah it lets me browse a few RedGuides threads on the Windows 7 computer without risk of max'n out the memory.

Thanks guys for the advice, that Windows Menu Plus program does work on Windows 7 reducing memory over time.

Now, if only one could trigger running it on each MQ2 instance using zoned.cfg :)

Or failing that one could set up a cron job..

I added this program recently and it's working great on my Win7 machine.

It will start on bootup and can be configured to auto-trim processes every 5 minutes or when usage exceeds 80% total mem. It also can clear the memory cache.

I still use Moo+ Menus for iconizing to tray or shutting off an EQ window that's frozen.

Windows 10 doesn't actually use less memory. Its using the virutal memory from your HD more efficiently. Its even more efficient if you use a M2 SSD for just virtual memory. I would suggest buying a cheap SSD something like 100 gbs and use that for Virtual memory. You should never use your main SSD for it as that much file swapping can shorten the life of the SSD.

Tech - Windows 10 memory optimization on Windows 7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back