• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - VPNs? (1 Viewer)

yamahaman

RedCents
217¢
I kinda got mixed reviews here on the forum for VPNs I don’t plan on playing on TLP regardless so are vpns safe to use for live?

Last edited:
Good question, and I’d like to hear what people have to say. I believe I’ve read somewhere that they can be considered against the rules technically

Good question, and I’d like to hear what people have to say. I believe I’ve read somewhere that they can be considered against the rules technically
Only thing I know that is banable in tech stuff was using a VM?
AFAIK a VPN on EQ does nothing but add a small bit of latency. I'm sure someone else knows better than I though.

See and that’s what I’ve heard @wymranar, I can’t seem to find anything solid on any daybreak forums or anything. I couldn’t imagine it being against the Eula, TOS, or code of conduct or anything. But I’ve heard people say they have gotten ban from using a VPN. Then I see posts on the internet going against each other. Of course I believe @Redbot over some Joe Schmo. RedBot, is it 100% safe to use VPN on live servers? Wasn’t there a way back in the day where they would track your location and ban depending on where your accounts were used and when? Might be all heresay.

Attachments

• 5D1636A2-8AA9-4692-8AAA-E3287380F30F.png
    5D1636A2-8AA9-4692-8AAA-E3287380F30F.png
    8 MB · Views: 27
  • F62263DD-AF4D-4243-B0CC-C4B31717751D.png
    F62263DD-AF4D-4243-B0CC-C4B31717751D.png
    669.6 KB · Views: 27
You can create VMs on your own PC, as long as you have the resources available.
I would wager most bans that occur while using VPN or VMs aren't because of their use alone. Most forum goers won't post about being instantly banned for using a VPN or VM just because that's all that happened. There is likely something else that happened that was omitted from their story, something rule violating, that got them suspended/banned.
I have never personally had any problems in any game I've played using either, as long as rule breaking wasn't involved.

You can create VMs on your own PC, as long as you have the resources available.
I would wager most bans that occur while using VPN or VMs aren't because of their use alone. Most forum goers won't post about being instantly banned for using a VPN or VM just because that's all that happened. There is likely something else that happened that was omitted from their story, something rule violating, that got them suspended/banned.
I have never personally had any problems in any game I've played using either, as long as rule breaking wasn't involved.
That does make a lot of sense, thank you for the info @Slade the Magician

On Live, VM or VPN probably is of no interest to Darkpaw. See caveat below though, because I've seen reports of people using a VPN and getting the connection rejected by the EQ servers.

On Truebox, they would very likely ban VM if detected, like via a hardware match. I don't see a VPN being related to the Truebox rules.

VPN = Using a service to re-route your internet traffic and mask your IP to anybody tracking you.
VM = Running virtual machine on your computer to try to split one computer into many computers as far as Truebox is concerned.

The only VPN problem situation I can think of is if some GM was banning some random account a year ago and they happened to have used the same VPN IP that you choose (same VPN service/server and public IP is still the same.) If Darkpaw ran a "ban by IP" permanently that could trigger it on you. I have no idea if they do this in an on-going method but some people say their VPN won't connect to the EQ servers. I know they use IP to "bundle" accounts when they are processing a ban, or at least the have the option to. One account seller a couple years ago managed to get all his accounts, his family's accounts and all the ones he'd sold over the years insta-banned in one day due to a GM tracking them all back to his "naked" IP (no VPN used.)

On Live, VM or VPN probably is of no interest to Darkpaw. See caveat below though, because I've seen reports of people using a VPN and getting the connection rejected by the EQ servers.

On Truebox, they would very likely ban VM if detected, like via a hardware match. I don't see a VPN being related to the Truebox rules.

VPN = Using a service to re-route your internet traffic and mask your IP to anybody tracking you.
VM = Running virtual machine on your computer to try to split one computer into many computers as far as Truebox is concerned.

The only VPN problem situation I can think of is if some GM was banning some random account a year ago and they happened to have used the same VPN IP that you choose (same VPN service/server and public IP is still the same.) If Darkpaw ran a "ban by IP" permanently that could trigger it on you. I have no idea if they do this in an on-going method but some people say their VPN won't connect to the EQ servers. I know they use IP to "bundle" accounts when they are processing a ban, or at least the have the option to. One account seller a couple years ago managed to get all his accounts, his family's accounts and all the ones he'd sold over the years insta-banned in one day due to a GM tracking them all back to his "naked" IP (no VPN used.)

thank you @eqtrader74, so the concern I have is I don’t want any of the accounts I buy on the same IP as the ones I hand leveled, and there’s more certain details into it, specifically one of my plat/krono Hoarders. I would be Devastated If a squeaky clean account that holds all my valuables gets bann due to an account I purchased. Which I don’t know if they would do, or just ban the purchased account.

Good to know thank you @SA_krycek, I’m sure nowadays in the eq world, they care about a lot less anyways than back 10 years ago, not enough people working there to care 😐. Which is a good thing, as well as bad.
Well, with internet security/tracking being a growing concern, VPN use is a tool some people choose to protect themselves. It's really none of their business how I, or anyone, chooses to connect to the internet. The world doesn't revolve around daybreak so an objection on their part is rather unwarranted.

Well, with internet security/tracking being a growing concern, VPN use is a tool some people choose to protect themselves. It's really none of their business how I, or anyone, chooses to connect to the internet. The world doesn't revolve around daybreak so an objection on their part is rather unwarranted.

That is very well said, I’m thinking of doing the 3 year of Nord just to protect myself all around, and at 3 bucks a month you can’t beat that. Basically a dime a day

RedBot, is it 100% safe to use VPN on live servers? Wasn’t there a way back in the day where they would track your location and ban depending on where your accounts were used and when? Might be all heresay.

Nothing is 100% safe with DPG's customer service team.

I use a VPN (Mullvad) most of the time I'm online, and it's fairly normal for services to block me, e.g. I can't access Yelp or my bank. I haven't had an issue with EverQuest, but I imagine VPN use is noted or flagged in some way.

Though I've never heard of anyone being banned for a VPN, I'd imagine the safest is one you own so you don't get mixed up with bad actors.

Last edited:
Nothing is 100% safe with DPG's customer service team.

I use a VPN (Mullvad) most of the time I'm online, and it's fairly normal for services to block me, e.g. I can't access Yelp or my bank. I haven't had an issue with EverQuest, but I imagine VPN use is noted or flagged in some way.

Though I've never heard of anyone being banned for a VPN, I'd imagine the safest is one you own so you don't get mixed up with bad actors.
Yes I agree, I signed up for the 3 years of Nord. And I agree, DPG is so every which way and however they feel that day about everything. Thank you for your response and I appreciate the info!

VPNs have been something they have gone after in the past, especially when they had business deals with other companies managing distribution for different regions (eg they used to have other companies as a publisher in some European countries). I use a VPN though, and it seems like it's been ok for a few years now. The biggest risk is just getting caught up with or confused for somebody else - ironically one of the reasons to use a VPN too (so all your accounts aren't using the same IP address since they can track that and go after other accounts that have logged in using the same IP even if they never interacted with your banned account at all).

VMs are a different matter though. I've never tried using one with EQ1, but I know if you create a new account, log in just once with EQ2 on a VM, log out, then try to log back in - you'll find the server already has banned you. I remember people complaining when they first started doing that, and the community rep said they would have the bans reversed 'just this one time', but that any VM use had to stop immediately and that they considered it an instantly bannable offense that would get no 2nd warning. They even told someone who said they gamed on a Mac and used VM software that they would just need to buy a PC.

VPN as a technology has no inherit negativity and can even be done yourself: https://openvpn.net/
Meaning, you can get an IP address via an endless number of ways, and request data via it.
At the end of the day the only real information DPG is collecting internet related is your WAN IP address and other basic details entailed in all incoming packets.
If you use a questionable VPN provider that they have a history of problems with, they may automatically reject you traffic (as a counter to DDoS or just black list enforcement), or flag your account as questionable because the IP address you are utilizing falls under that VPN's jurisdiction. But this is no different than anything online. I am skeptical they would be specifically after YOU as an entity, just for using said IP, but just remember that IP could be associated with others. If you go for a static IP VPN that may be safer, since you won't stumble upon a potentially bad IP as it cycles your online identity, but it likely is overkill for the small number of players on EQ.

As to the safety of using VPN.. If you are on a server that enforces a single IP policy (or single boxing/trueboxing), then it is wise to simply follow their rules. Do not box on a no-box server by circumventing their IP enforcement rules, and you are much safer.

100% safety isn't even a thing if you are an entirely legitimate player, doing no exploits, etc.. it is at the mercy of DPG that you are playing, no matter how innocent you are, they can ban without reason.

I found this buried deep in some info about true box servers. So it would be something they could fall back on for any account as they state, if they felt the need.

QUOTE:

Doing any of the following on ANY server may result in action being taken against your Daybreak Account:
  • Unattended Gameplay: Any method that lets a character take actions while you're not at your keyboard.
  • Playing on virtual machines.
  • Any attempt to circumvent the /pickzone timer.
Source: https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...n-a-True-Box-Progression-server-in-EverQuest-

I found this buried deep in some info about true box servers. So it would be something they could fall back on for any account as they state, if they felt the need.

QUOTE:

Doing any of the following on ANY server may result in action being taken against your Daybreak Account:
  • Unattended Gameplay: Any method that lets a character take actions while you're not at your keyboard.
  • Playing on virtual machines.
  • Any attempt to circumvent the /pickzone timer.
Source: https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...n-a-True-Box-Progression-server-in-EverQuest-

yah, I have no intrest in playing on TPL or using a VM haha.

It was meant more of a heads up that although it is listed under TLP info it also states they can do it on any server.

And that it could bleed over to VPN in stead of just virtual machines.

Kinda adding to the info ShinNoir said that you are at the mercy of DPG

Question - VPNs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back