• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Open Beta is available as of yesterday (1 Viewer)

Runned

RedCents
And I have been downloading this patch ever since. I picked up the preorder and installed the client so I wouldn't have to download 20gb of filez off of the internet but I ended up having to do so anyway.

28 hours of downloading and counting; Patcher says ETR 15 hours but it's been like that since 6AM this morning.. (I have tier2 comcast cable btw, 8mbps :doh:)

That would be Darkfall Online good sir.

This one is World of Vanguard II: Age of Conanquest's Call of Camelot

isn't that the "Oh look at us we are hardcore peeeveeepee" ? and then totally nerfed everything that is hardcore due to the succes of WoW?

I think ill stick with wow, in case its any good, imagine being addicted to two mmorpgs :O

I think ill stick with wow, in case its any good, imagine being addicted to two mmorpgs :O

I don't need to imagine that; I cheerfully live it.

Three games at a time is my limit, though... ( I swear!)

Hey guys the game is kinda neat, but doesn't support my video card. They took the servers down this morning for an update and while I was the only person playing it ran decently but I can't play it right now with my current setup.

I'd love some tentacle act--

Er, what I meant to say is, Vanguard isn't that cool. Granted I haven't played since beta 2, but the direction they were taking was to miss their design goals by far and large, which is never a good thing.

Current setup:

2.93ghz processor
1G ram
GeForce 5700 FX 128mb video card

Really all I need is a better card, something like a GeForce 7600 256mb and I would run the game just fine. I just donut have the funds to upgrade right now. Arri and I are playing right now, he is running flawlessly with 7600gs 512mb and I'm a slideshow. Seriously though, this game is pretty fun. Although the two of us are only level 6 right now I can tell we'd make an awesome pvp duo.

At the launch they are planning on having a team vs team pvp server and an FFA (more like FFYay) server. With 19 races and 15 classes to choose from, I wouldn't recommend playing this game if you are an altaholic. The character customization is pretty neat too, somewhat similar to second life if you've ever played - customize nose, cheek bokes, jaw, eyes (not just color, how big they are how far apart) skinny, fat, tall, short I think you get the point.

So can this game beat WoW is the question?

Edit:
Just tried to check it out myself but only US beta ;( I cried.

WoW has a larger, built in fan base - it will be a while before another game "beats" it.

I played the Vanguard open beta for a while but I don't like it so much. For some reason it reminds me of EQ in all the ways i didn't like EQ. Maybe i just need to give it a second chance.

The game is what you make of it.

Btw they have a mailing system, it seems.

vanguardmail.png

could you post some screens ingame? I seen some on gamespy but I wanna see some first hand screens :p

All my screens are with every possible setting turned off to make my slideshow a little more bearable. I'll take some more when I log in later, but here is one of a camel I killed:

camel.jpg

It seriously looks like ass with my video card, plus this was taken at night.

I've come to give Vanguard a defense.

I started in late beta 4, and my top char is only 11 so take it with a grain of salt.

Some people think that corpse runs (which arent necessary, you can summon your loot at an altar for an xp hit) and the other "hardcore" features are bad.

BUT when was that last time you were playing WoW and thought "OH boy, i bettr be careful here. This place is scary and I dont want to risk dying" ? I can't recall.

Vanguard is bringing that back. Its not a "hardcore" game, its just a MMO on "Normal" instead of "Easy" mode.

Leveling is fun and quests are rewarding. There isn't much downtime, you can eat food to recover like WoW. While grouping, at least at level 10, downtime was minimal. The environments are GORGEOUS with the right machine. The towns and architecture is great, though some could use some more detail.

Anyway, its open beta now so you can just try for yourself.

But for a closing statement, I have to say the player base is what really sets it apart. Everyone seems more mature -- because of beta? Maybe. But I think VG is going to attract the more seasoned players.

Runned which server are you playing on? I have an 11 Dark Elf cleric on Server 2. I really like the cleric implementation in this game seeing as it's more of a melee based healer in plate. The game runs like absolute ass on my system but I am enjoying it so far. If I can get enough levels in to get a good feel for it before TBC I will probably purchase a few upgrades to make it run better before my copy of the game actually arives.

**edit - oops character name is Cyradis Hubris - I think I went overboard on the boob slider. They didn't look so big at creation but in armor they are massive. I can't even imagine how bad it would be if I had made them max size !

But for a closing statement, I have to say the player base is what really sets it apart. Everyone seems more mature -- because of beta? Maybe. But I think VG is going to attract the more seasoned players.

It's kinda ironic that player-base is the factor that most influences an MMORPG experience, yet it's the one factor that developers have no control over & the factor that (IHMO) is the most likely to change unexpectantly.

Actually the developers have a good deal of control over the player base. You want a good community you force people to interract with one another as much as possible. Being pretty much required to group to level is a good start. I guarantee you that factor alone will improve the games community by a shitload.

Do everything you possibly can not to give into the "entitlement" whiners. Anyone who has ever said "I pay 15$ a month so I DESERVE ..." typically falls into this category. You could probably as a designer do the exact oposite of anything one of these people says and improve your game community as well.

Make the game as difficult as possible. Being forced to group + being stuck in a shitty situation builds bonds between people much faster. I know I made more friends helping people or getting helped with unfucking a nasty corpse run or trying to take out some hard ass mob in EQ than I did levelling 3 60s and 2 upper 50's in WoW.

You get a community that has to work with one another and you end up weeding out more of the retards. *shrug*

Runned said:
Arri and I are on the pvp server, Dark Elves

Ah I had thought about starting on the PvP server but the ruleset is shit currently and I had already levelled my cleric to 10. Want to try to get to 15-20ish before TBC hits the shelves so I can decide whether or not I will play it.

I really don't mind it, I wouldn't play on this type of ruleset on a live server but for beta testing purposes I can't complain. Last night the two of us got our first taste of PVP in some desert area near a coast I assume. We were both level 8 and this level 11 paladin or disciple kicked our asses so hard we couldn't help but laugh.

Yeah if I hadn't already suffered through the uberlaggy newbie area I would have restarted but I figure if I start over again I won't make it to 15+ before TBC which will probably end my vanguard playing until its release. I will most likely start on the FFA server if the ruleset is decent at launch. If it sucks then I will probably just not play Vanguard.

Cyradis I have seen your name in chat. I am Atlas in game, 12 Warrior.

Kind of stuck as to what to do right now. I went south of the big river going east out of Khal and I only found level 35 Titans and scorpions that proceeded to own me, and then I was respawned in the MIDDLE of all them at an altar. I logged out to wait for recall to refresh :P

Look me up.. I'll be on tonight

Ummm Runned... those screenies make me wonder why they threw you off the furries forum........... I mean.. it appears you have all the markings for that! LOL!

Wife is *trying* to play the beta now, took her almost a day and a half to down-load it. She's having the same problems with it as she did eq2. choppy vid. So far she is saying with out the chop (when NOBODY else) is in the area, the game seems fun. If someone comes around, she can't move.

@ Pruflas
How about go huntin' for treasah! And then buy your wife a new PC... torturing her like that, with a slow PC, when all she wants to do is play around on her furry, shame on you :mad:

Anyone know how long a corpse lasts in this? Was going to do some stupid grey con quest in rockspine lair last night, lagged for like 20 seconds straight and when I got control back like 6 of these little lizards were beating my ass. So I died. Then they decided to randomly patch at like 9pm central or some shit. So I haven't picked my body back up yet haha.

Atlas I should be back on sometime around 7pm central. I have mostly just been soloing 10-11ish threat level 2 trash around the beacon of hafeez. I think there are some quests from the east river docks that are around the same level but I didn't pick them up as I wanted to get rid of some of the older ones I had first. I think I may just say fuck the story line though and drop all of those as going back to the noob area makes my computer cry.

Sigil is afraid someone might find out Vanguard sucks and they are closing their official forums.

No I mean they posted an official message that they are closing them...

Elrar said:
Greetings All!

As promised here is the discussion thread in regards to the closing of our forums. You can view the news post here: http://forums.vanguardsoh.com/showthread.php?t=103501

Please feel welcome to post any questions or concerns you may have and I will do my best to answer them. Please try to avoid posting the same questions as a poster above you, especially if I have already answered it.

If you are interested in starting your own fansite we offer a fansite kit on the front page of www.vanguardsoh.com. Please email [email protected] if you are interested in the Affiliate Fansite Program.

Q&A

Will developers continue to post?
-Yes, we will continue to post on Affiliated Site Forums.

Why are you closing the forums?
-We feel this is the best way to promote a healthy and active community. We feel centralized communities constrain players of different mindsets and too often don't reflect the actual opinion of the majority player base.

Will there be SOE Forums? (Like their other games)
-There will only be Tech support forums; all game play and general discussion will be hosted by the Affiliate Fansites.

How will the main Community Site be updated?
-Our community team will update the site by working closely with the affiliate sites to gather news and discussion threads that large portions of the community may find interesting.

What about fansites associated with the secondary market (Gold Sellers)?
-Sigil is strong about its stance towards the secondary market. No site will ever be listed or supported by Sigil that has Secondary Market ads or is owned by the secondary market (Zam/Ogaming Networks). If a fansite is found to be supported by the Secondary Market in any way it will immediately be removed from our program.

Oh man, this is fantastic. My update this week is actually focusing on the majority of retards that post on those forums.

Guys, I love you all, but if I ever see the quality of vanguard fan posts on these forums I will purposely take them down forever just like this.

Yeah they went from the traditional "tongue in the head devs ass" (i.e. brad) to the awesome pregamer "it's still in beta!" once open beta started and everyone realized the game was nothing like they had been led to believe. On top of that every other post is "WoW is better because...". Which is replied to with "OMG go back to WoW noob since you can't handle a CHALLENGING game." Which is funny because compared to the original "Vision" Vanguard is now basically WoWed all to hell. The primary difference, Vanguard runs like ass and it takes longer to level.

It has a few things going for it IMO. Its classes are pretty cool and there is next to no instancing thus far. And I definitely <3 corpse runs. If they implement a decent PvP ruleset I think I'll play it. *shrug*

being "open beta", i'm having a hard time finding links for DLing. the official site says some crap about subscribing to fileplanet?

bleh

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Open Beta is available as of yesterday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back