• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - Upcoming Overseer Changes (1 Viewer)

RedCents
71¢
Upcoming Overseer Changes

We eagerly launched the Overseer feature last week, and the response has been incredible. It’s an ambitious project for us of a scale we haven’t done in quite some time and because we were so eager to get this feature in your hands, there have been some unexpected issues that require changes and fixes. We wanted to review the upcoming changes and explain what they mean and why we are making them.

We also wanted to take this opportunity to offer our apologies that so many changes are needed right after launching this feature, but we feel they are necessary to protect the integrity of not just the Overseer system but EQ itself.

But, before we launch into an explanation of why we turned off the Finish Early button and what changes you can expect in the upcoming patch, we wanted to be clear that we will be refunding a portion of the DBC spent on immediate quest completion through the system due to a bug.

Also, as a thank you for your patience and all the reports that helped us track and tackle Overseer issues, we will be granting an Overseer pack to all accounts that have logged in within the past month on servers that can use Overseer. The pack grants and refunds will be happening after this patch as we need to work out all the logistics, but we expect all affected accounts to see them in about 3-5 weeks.

Now, let’s dive in.

Quest Success had a bug
It was a pretty big bug. A miscalculation in the way we determined if a quest should critically succeed resulted in a notable drop in its overall success chance. We are sorry for that, and we will be fixing it this week. The good news is that this fix will also result in the chances of critical success on all quests increasing by a significant factor.

Temporarily removing the ability to purchase immediate quest completion
Due to the issue with quest success, we felt it was best to temporarily remove the ability to spend Daybreak Cash to complete quests. We will enable the ability to purchase instant completion when the bug is fixed and, as mentioned above, will be refunding a portion the DBC spent on immediate quest completion

Reward Changes
Unfortunately, we made several miscalculations with what and how much was offered. We believe it is important that this system is supplemental to gameplay and that it does not replace it. Some of the rewards offered were either too easily attained or greatly devalued items that are granted through gameplay. To repair that we will be making the following changes:

Overseer merchant price changes
We will be increasing the Tetradrachm cost of most items on the merchant (as a side note from Absor, “I also want to apologize for the name of those coins...” as a side note from Ngreth, “I'm not.”). The most notable change will be a significant increase in the price of McKenzie's Brews to align with their actual value. These are the new Tetradrachm prices for the items sold:

•The unique clockwork armor pieces: 70,000
•The unique clockwork robe: 175,000
•Spitegems: 87,500
•Crystallized Luck: 35,000
•Essences: 4,375
•McKenzie's Special Brew: 26,250
•Token of Resurrection: 43,750
•Urthron's Ulitimate Unattuner: 175,000

Tetradrachm will no longer be tradeable
Frankly, these were never meant to be tradeable. The intent was that rewards be earned by using the Overseer system, not by purchasing or trading for those rewards. Please take a moment to move your existing Tetradrachm to the character/account that you wish them to be on before the update this week.

Lowering the number of collectible items rewarded
We will be reducing the number of collectible items obtained on success. Because you can choose specifically what item you receive, introducing these items into the economy too rapidly will reduce the value of the rarest collectible items. So now collectible rewards will almost always only give you only one item. Also, you will usually not be guaranteed to get that item. The new rewards will offer you two options: either some number of Tetradrachm, or fewer Tetradrachm and a percentage chance to also gain a collectible of your choice. As a pretend example: succeeding on a Quest might offer you 200 Tetradrachm OR 150 Tetradrachm and a 25% chance to get a collectible item of your choice.

Other reward restrictions
Because we want to maintain the value of doing current content when it is current, we will no longer be rewarding collection or tradeskill items from the current expansion as rewards. Items from older expansions will obviously still be available.

We are restricting the ability to obtain collectible and tradeskill items as rewards to Gold members only. Free accounts will be offered a Tetradrachm reward for successful quests rather than a collectible or tradeskill item. This is to prevent abuse of the free to play system to gather these items, especially with the potential of upcoming free Heroic Characters (shh... it's a poorly kept secret!). As mentioned above, we do not want to undervalue the effort of playing the game through Overseer, we want it to be a way to enhance gameplay.

We will likely be making other changes and improvements to the system in the future, so please keep offering us feedback (scrollbars would be nice). Your ideas are always welcome.

Again, we would like to apologize for the need to make such dramatic changes to a system that we only just launched, but we felt they were necessary to protect the integrity of EverQuest and the Overseer system itself.

- Dreamweaver, on behalf of the EverQuest Team

Well, at least I hope any collectible item things I got on my few f2p accounts will work post change and I just can't get new ones.

In saying that I have been 'farming' current trade skill materials and I don't even own the new expansion... I get that change, lol. Probably have enough for most of a set of gear for a caster and a melee.

Glad I didn't waste any reward choices on the tetradrachms' heh

can anybody explain these overseer advantages - except getting tradeskill items esp. if no ToV XPac is there..

Who can use this currency with this horrendous numbers - one quest gave around 275-900 max in 6-24h max
Even collecting all currency of all accounts on one.. looks... pretty useless....?!?

so far I see
- costs for stuff beyond anything
- unattuner is easier with loyality points
- essences are pretty useless (charge=1)
- all other prices are insanely high
- for what in the hell is McKenzie still useful today at L110-115?
-> Is that all TLP stuff or has it any real use on life servers?

I would be happy for some enlightment on the advantages.

can anybody explain these overseer advantages - except getting tradeskill items esp. if no ToV XPac is there..
Good part: less failed missions.
Bad: Collections used to be a guaranteed choice, now its going to be a slot machine to see if you get the collection dispenser. No ToV choice means you can't use overseer to help with earring quest.

I mean, it all makes sense except for the prices of tetradrachm items.

I wouldn't say it was bad changing the way collectible rewards work. Since farming them is not too tedious except for a few drops, and to be honest taking longer with only chances on overseer still beats the hell out of repeating old instances if you aren't macroing it.

We aren't exactly starved for easy mode ways to collect stuff around here.

When I saw the guaranteed choice it did feel like devs said "well 'sugar' everyone just uses groundgrab to collect groundspawn collections lets just give everyone another option", never used it to get current xpac tradeskill materials as I am grinding there anyways.

The F2P restriction is puzzling as how did they not know that it would be gamed like that, it takes me 6 hours to get a toon up to 85 (probably 4 with xp bonus running). Limitation was really on how many accounts you could get made. Now they will be missing out on potential DB cash sales to these accounts.

The increased cost is absurd I will not be playing monkey press button for a year to get one (1) piece of a ornamentation set.

- for what in the hell is McKenzie still useful today at L110-115?
Rez stick for live players (most raid guilds require shaman/druid to have it). Had enough coins to get 3x shaman and 1x druid their brews, just need to kill vox/naggy now (about 11k coins for 63 brews)

Well, at least I hope any collectible item things I got on my few f2p accounts will work post change and I just can't get new ones.
They should. I believe that new ones won't be obtainable. Question to me is if ToV will still be an option on old dispensers (don't think so)

Ah well it was a sideshow anyway and the circus is now leaving town. Do think they are going to be disappointed in the cash sales.

So sad about this, after a break was thinking to complete old collections, gonna be hard to do. At least could buy rezz stick.

I left the game in Underfoot, I know nothing about expansions past that. What are these collections I keep hearing about?

I left the game in Underfoot, I know nothing about expansions past that. What are these collections I keep hearing about?
Collections are items you pick up on the ground in all zones starting in expansions Rain of Fear and upwards. They appear as small glowing orbs on the ground, each zone you complete by picking up the whole 'collection' and right clicking to collect it. You get a reward for some such as 2% xp or small items like a chair for your house/guild hall.

Once you collect the entire expansion (all zones) you get a reward of special AA or a large bag or title. you can buy a lot of the collectibles in the bazaar, rarer ones will cost more. If you look in your Acheivements in EQ button, you will see what you have done/need.

I have not been able to find collectables in the rewards - were they tied to a specific quest?
Lots of different quests had that item Overseer Collection Item Dispenser as a reward, usually option 3 on the list on the quests that have it as a reward. Once awrded to your inventory the item clicks to become anpther reward list of expansions to select from. Choose and it will give you a new item that when clicked will give you another reward list of zones from that expansion to choose from. Click that item and you will once again be given a list of collecetibles from the zone you chose from.

Now the end sounds like it will change from guaranteed collectible choice, to probably you might get the result you wish..based on how kind RNG is to you. And if you don;t get what you want, here is a few Tetras for yourself kid, go buy a lollipop.

Collections are items you pick up on the ground in all zones starting in expansions Rain of Fear and upwards. They appear as small glowing orbs on the ground, each zone you complete by picking up the whole 'collection' and right clicking to collect it. You get a reward for some such as 2% xp or small items like a chair for your house/guild hall.

Once you collect the entire expansion (all zones) you get a reward of special AA or a large bag or title. you can buy a lot of the collectibles in the bazaar, rarer ones will cost more. If you look in your Acheivements in EQ button, you will see what you have done/need.

Thank you Redfrog.

Lots of different quests had that item Overseer Collection Item Dispenser as a reward, usually option 3 on the list on the quests that have it as a reward. Once awrded to your inventory the item clicks to become anpther reward list of expansions to select from. Choose and it will give you a new item that when clicked will give you another reward list of zones from that expansion to choose from. Click that item and you will once again be given a list of collecetibles from the zone you chose from.

Now the end sounds like it will change from guaranteed collectible choice, to probably you might get the result you wish..based on how kind RNG is to you. And if you don;t get what you want, here is a few Tetras for yourself kid, go buy a lollipop.

...a percentage chance to also gain a collectible of your choice.

The way it reads is you get a chance to get a collectible dispenser, so still get to choose.

I already quit using it, rewards are too expensive and not worth the time and effort required. When someone makes a macro to automatically do it I might consider it then.

Did they indicate when this would happen? I was assuming as a patch on Wednesday, but I do not see a notice.

They should. I believe that new ones won't be obtainable. Question to me is if ToV will still be an option on old dispensers (don't think so)
I did a lot of ToV collections yesterday to take advantage of things before they change. One thing I noticed, the original dispenser that you got can be converted to a ToV specific dispenser without the need to further select a zone and item. I'm guessing that post-patch, the rewarded dispenser will simply have the ToV option removed from the rewards window, but my ToV dispensers will continue to function as expected.

4 hour patch to beat overseer into unconsciousness
yeah, why even bother patching now? Just wait until next month. This is the 2nd month in a row with 2 patches per month. At one point they said it's too much work to do multiple small patches in a single month so they will only be doing 1 patch per month and all fixes will have to wait for the next cycle. Apparently that only goes for things that are helpful to the player, when it's DPG/DGC/SOE wanting to shit all over things, all bets are off.

yeah, why even bother patching now? Just wait until next month. This is the 2nd month in a row with 2 patches per month. At one point they said it's too much work to do multiple small patches in a single month so they will only be doing 1 patch per month and all fixes will have to wait for the next cycle. Apparently that only goes for things that are helpful to the player, when it's DPG/DGC/SOE wanting to shit all over things, all bets are off.
Apparently it was causing too much gear for TLP server namely Selos... /facepalm

I'm guessing that post-patch, the rewarded dispenser will simply have the ToV option removed from the rewards window, but my ToV dispensers will continue to function as expected.
Have a few of those myself but some people saying their claims are bugged on test when using the ToV one (pearl necklace) Will see in a few hours don't hold out much hope.

Am I missing something here. So, if you are allowed to do 5 quests at a time. Quests are basically 6 hours to 24 hours for most and give 300-900 coins each. Even if you maxed out the quests every six hours (which without a macro would be hard) you might be able to get 9,000 coins a day. It would take 8 days of not missing a single reset timer on any quest to buy ONE single ornament for 70,000 or 178 days to get enough brews to buy the rez stick.

Without burning thousands of DB coins how is Overseer worth anything at all at this point? If you have thousands of DB coins to burn and want to spend real money for ornaments or the rez stick you could get somewhere but just normal gameplay I cant see how this would be worth doing at all. Is there an element I am missing?

Am I missing something here. So, if you are allowed to do 5 quests at a time. Quests are basically 6 hours to 24 hours for most and give 300-900 coins each. Even if you maxed out the quests every six hours (which without a macro would be hard) you might be able to get 9,000 coins a day. It would take 8 days of not missing a single reset timer on any quest to buy ONE single ornament for 70,000 or 178 days to get enough brews to buy the rez stick.

Without burning thousands of DB coins how is Overseer worth anything at all at this point? If you have thousands of DB coins to burn and want to spend real money for ornaments or the rez stick you could get somewhere but just normal gameplay I cant see how this would be worth doing at all. Is there an element I am missing?

you are not missing anything. It’s worthless. I only use it for the collectible dispenser.

I stopped using the Overseer system when they made the changes. Before that I was vaguely motivated. When I learned they were going to make the changes, I got super motivated, made coin on all my toons, transferred to my shaman, got potions and bought rez stick. Then they made the changes and I haven't done a mission since.

I stopped using the Overseer system when they made the changes. Before that I was vaguely motivated. When I learned they were going to make the changes, I got super motivated, made coin on all my toons, transferred to my shaman, got potions and bought rez stick. Then they made the changes and I haven't done a mission since.

I do wish I got rez stick before the nerf. =(

Definitely see zero reason to play it now though.

I do wish I got rez stick before the nerf. =(

Definitely see zero reason to play it now though.
Yup you missed out :( I got the brews on 2x druids 3x shamans, just need to flag them to actually buy it.

The new dispenser changes I am skeptical on. Now have a 25% chance to get one and you can have streaks of 2-3 successes, after the change need to basically do 4 quests for one guaranteed dispenser. Now as you go along the quests starts requiring higher level agents which you do not have. Need to convert 3 common to 3 uncommon etc. Not quick to do if you do not spend DB cash.

The whole way the coins work is also a pita, they are assigned per character so you need to log in each on the account and create/place the coins in shared bank that alone is a stupid decision. Coins should be like loyalty e.g shared across the whole account.

Overall this system showed promise but was quickly stomped into a puddle.

p.s. The amount of bug in this leaves me flabbergasted. Quests vanishing to reappear later as completed. Agents just not showing. Quest rewards bugged. Percentage chance bugged. Window bugged on lower resolutions. Window selector bugged when using a target ring.

I’m having collection dispensers not listing a percentage just disappear when I claim ... no crumble message or whatever.

So far the Overseer has been fun. I have been using it for the Experience gains on alts or main box as it replaces any lost Rez experience. Most over 1% XP at 115. A little trick though, bust out your merc as most of the 6 and 12 hr missions will yield 40+ % of a merc AA per mission. So getting 2-5 Merc AA a day is much better then another ornamentation. Collects are still very low success but well worth it also.

I do have a request if anyone knows the best way to get an answer from Dark Paw staff and I have submitted a bug on this last week: Before the nerf, I turned nearly 30 collection Jelly Bean Bowls into ToV. I knew they where no longer going to be an option and they removed the ToV from selection, but they completed edited the ability to claim the existing ToV collections and now its eating 1 of my rewards. Hypothetically, I could his claim 9 more times and not be able to do much in game, so it does need addressed.

Thanks for any help.

1585940634878.png

, but they completed edited the ability to claim the existing ToV collections and now its eating 1 of my rewards. Hypothetically, I could his claim 9 more times and not be able to do much in game, so it does need addressed.
I have 6 on one character stuck like that, plan it to wait until next patch (have not heard anything from the devs about this) then I will begin launching petitions.

News - Upcoming Overseer Changes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back