• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Guide - Ultra-wide Display 4k, 5k, viewport, and you. AKA Floating particle effects (1 Viewer)

So if you use a 4k (3440 x 1440) or 5k (5120x1440) monitor and you run EQ at full resolution it is actually stretching everything. EQ's max supportable resolution without distortion is 2560 x 1440 or 16:9 aspect ratio. you can push it to 2879 1440 which is 18:9 aspect ratio but you will notice the glitch I'm going to cover at long distances.

When EQ stretches the screen past 16:9 particle effects will float out of place away from objects they are supposed to be on Fire particle effects float down from the sky, weapon particle effects float above or below weapons, glowing skeleton eyes float above the skeleton head, etc.

So how to address the issue?

Well, the best way is to use the viewport command to put the Viewable game space into 16:9. Now, this will leave black space as part of the game window but you can move UI parts into the black space which actually leaves the gameworld completely viewable without UI parts on it.

So, here are the settings to adjust for both 4k and 5k

4k (3440 x 1440)
/viewport 0 0 2560 1440 - This will Give you Black space on the Right Side of your monitor
/viewport 880 0 2560 1440 - This will give you black space on the Left side of the monitor
/viewport 440 0 2560 1440 - This will Center your game, and put bars on both sides of the screen.

5k (5120x1440)
/viewport 0 0 2560 1440 - This will Give you Black space on the Right Side of your monitor
/viewport 2560 0 2560 1440 - This will give you black space on the Left side of the monitor
/viewport 1280 0 2560 1440 - This will Center your game, and put bars on both sides of the screen.

Congrats, no more floating particle effects.

Before: Skeleton eyes floating weapon particle effects below weapon in blue circles
EQ000048.jpg

After: Particle effects in correct location and black strips on both sides where you can place UI Elements.
(Note: my monitor is 5k so I used /viewport 1280 0 2560 1440 to center the viewable game area and leave black strips on both sides.)
EQ000049.jpg

Thanks for the tip, should help some. But, for reference, 5120 x 1440 is not 5K. It is an ultra-wide QHD resolution, and has 1/2 the vertical resolution of 5K. Very nice for some applications, but I find two QHD monitors much more flexible and avoids some of the issues you are helping with here.

Thanks for the tip, should help some. But, for reference, 5120 x 1440 is not 5K. It is an ultra-wide QHD resolution, and has 1/2 the vertical resolution of 5K. Very nice for some applications, but I find two QHD monitors much more flexible and avoids some of the issues you are helping with here.
You are correct, my Monitor is actually dual QHD at 5120 x 1440.

You are correct, my Monitor is actually dual QHD at 5120 x 1440.
Yep. I had several issues getting applications to share a single wide screen nicely, so went with two 32 inch QHD monitors instead. Love it, and it works nicely with EQ, but the bezel is a bit irksome for the few games that really take advantage of the wide view.

sure feels weird going back to 4:3 ratio after having it 3440x1440 for a few years! I thought it'd affect the UI too, but doesn't, which is a nice touch, Gonna have to re-arrange and put a bunch of Lua stuff in the black space :)

btw here is a good explanation on the viewport command
viewport

you can actually make the black space anywhere you want. A few custom UI's on eqinterface, I know use it to put UI elements in a black space below the game window so it isn't covered.

btw here is a good explanation on the viewport command
viewport

you can actually make the black space anywhere you want. A few custom UI's on eqinterface, I know use it to put UI elements in a black space below the game window so it isn't covered.
That would be pretty cool. Use all the black space for all your UI and have a full view of the playing area. You could do so much more with the UI with that much extra space not blocking your playing.

Can some post their layouts to see how the black borders are being used. Would like some ideas before I start jacking up all my toons' UI settings :)

Sorry for the potential necro-post. I just picked up a 49" 5440x1440 to use in conjunction with my laptop. The intended purpose is to utilize it as my second monitor for characters 2 and 3, side by side. The goal is to have chars 2 and 3 displayed side by side at 2720x1440. Is /viewport capable of handling that, or am I going to run into the max resolution limitations of the game?

Guide - Ultra-wide Display 4k, 5k, viewport, and you. AKA Floating particle effects

Users who are viewing this thread

Back