• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - To AA or not to AA (1 Viewer)

RedCents
2,291¢
Just looking for what others opinions here might be on this. 99.9% of the time, I get to max level before I start grinding out AA's. But lately I've been thinking that might not be a great idea. As expansions have pop, a lot of additional AA come into play, but the AA at your current lvl and expansion could be very useful. So just wondering if others do the same as me or if they grind out a set lvl of AA's in some type of milestone sequence or what ever.

Personally I level all my toons to 115 then grind aa using autospend. I feel like the gear and weapons / spells I get at 115 out weigh the aa. If you really look at aa, they are a very small increase over time vs leveling up and upgrading gear and spells. AA ranks are small in comparison to overall stats until you actually get like 15 or 20k aa to really make a bit of a difference. With that being said, every little bit counts, but when your having to grind 100 aa to increase your hp 100 points (exaggeration). it's kinda of a rip off.

Max level, then AA's.. now if its your first team (not your case), you might have to max level, then drop back in content until AA's are closer. I had to do that on my main team, however the lots.. 30? or so since then, zoom them to 115, then put them in meat grinder group for 10K aa's or so, then send them to the spots in there team.

Yeah I concur with everyone else. Max level, then auto grant, then grind aa.

BUT, you should pay attention to some of the aa abilities, especially in recent years. For example, with an enchanter in group, there are a few aa lines that won’t work at max level until you max the aa line out. I believe chromatic haze is like that. There seem to be quite a few aa lines, especially with casters, where I would focus on maxing that line first to receive any/max benefits at max level.

Yeah I concur with everyone else. Max level, then auto grant, then grind aa.

BUT, you should pay attention to some of the aa abilities, especially in recent years. For example, with an enchanter in group, there are a few aa lines that won’t work at max level until you max the aa line out. I believe chromatic haze is like that. There seem to be quite a few aa lines, especially with casters, where I would focus on maxing that line first to receive any/max benefits at max level.
yeah, if you know you cant get to max AA quick, you might want to sync your spells with your picking of AA. I did max Lvl and then AA, and thought I had a terrible setup until I maxxed the AA out. That really exploaded my DPS. I guess if you dont have the AA to the right spell lines you dont really use the potential of anything really.

Personally I level all my toons to 115 then grind aa using autospend. I feel like the gear and weapons / spells I get at 115 out weigh the aa. If you really look at aa, they are a very small increase over time vs leveling up and upgrading gear and spells. AA ranks are small in comparison to overall stats until you actually get like 15 or 20k aa to really make a bit of a difference. With that being said, every little bit counts, but when your having to grind 100 aa to increase your hp 100 points (exaggeration). it's kinda of a rip off.

Agree, i also max level then aa.

Just looking for what others opinions here might be on this. 99.9% of the time, I get to max level before I start grinding out AA's. But lately I've been thinking that might not be a great idea. As expansions have pop, a lot of additional AA come into play, but the AA at your current lvl and expansion could be very useful. So just wondering if others do the same as me or if they grind out a set lvl of AA's in some type of milestone sequence or what ever.
I like to wait to grind AA's at higher levels

I used to max aa every 5 levels or so, and always level to the next multiple of 5 when PLing because it was more efficient. Now with autogrant I mostly do max level, but it really DOES play a big factor, having the aas. If what you're farming is all stuff you can't use til a particular lecel then I'd go to that level, but if you can use it now I'd grind the aas. If you can kill stiff 5 levels above you, then go level. But if you're stuck farming current level then aas for sure will help a lot. There is NO guarantee that 5 levels and the spells discs and fear that go with them will make higher content doable. Higher content is geared to start with previous expansion stuff, so if you can't, then don't push the levels.

When CoV launched, the autogrants from eok made a huge difference in tanking. Because those are 105 and under, there's no reason to worry about aas til 110, as content is tuned to the previous expansion aas and gear. If you can't handle 115 stuff, the levels and gear will help, but the aas can very well make a bigger difference. CoV is tuned for 113-115(as is apparent by quests requiring 113 to get) but ToV is tuned for 110 with Ros aas, and eok is just below that. So, if you can't handle 115 content at 115, it's likely that aas are the problem. There are key aa lines that should be maxed to level every 5 or so that will greatly help, while the rest can wait. At 110 for instance, as a tank, you'd want to max ca/cs, and if the tank is a knight, there are other important lines, but once you do that the remainder can certainly wait. On bard and chanter, lines affecting mez should be maxed. On ranger, zerker, rogue, their respective headshot/assassinate, etc should be maxed every 5, and often I'll do triple attack and weapon affinity as well for example, but most other stuff can just wait. Healers should do healing gift and adept at least as well.

Most aas can wait, but the key lines should be maxed at 110 before going 115. In my experience, the power gains from gear and weapons are negligible without the key aas. Anything below 110 will be fine with autogrant. Key aas are probably only about a thousand, give or take a few hundred depending on class, at 110 with autogrants, and that's less than a weeks work if you focus on them just a couple hours a day(a lot less I'm sure if you afk farm them)

I say all this as someone who was max max way back in RoF, then left until Ros. During Ros I pumped out levels to 110, got almost no autogrants(on tank, alts weren't max to start with) and though I could do some Ros stuff, it was a major struggle and I stuck to work stuff. Ros was tuned for having the enormous power gains from eok aas. I only played about a month before leaving again until this November. I pushed to 115 pretty easy with TAs etc, but Ros now being doable, was not cake still. I tried TBL...that was painful so I went back to Ros again because eok was too low to be worth messing with now. It wasn't until CoV launched and those eok aas magically appeared, that Ros became the cake it should've been, and tov and CoV was doable. CoV got more doable as I farmed the bricks, but aas will make a big difference as I am basically in eok max aa with just a handful of other stuff, and CoV is certainly tuned to TBL or tov aas, not eok. It's doable, bit would be much better with the key aa lines done, which I'm working on doing stuff I missed in tov etc. Once I got the bricks for my tank, which did help of course, I found they only helped some. Many ppl let aas slide, but there are always key lines that make a world of difference depending on the content you're working in. Of what you're doing now is cake, then try the next expansion. If that expansion raised level, then go for the levels, but if it didn't, you may find some aas are needed for the expansion that does raise level.

Last edited:
Question - To AA or not to AA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back