• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Thinking of adding a 5th box (1 Viewer)

RedCents
670¢
Hello all,

I'm starting to feel comfortable running my monk, shaman, mage and SK with a merc tank and merc healer. I want to add a 5th. My SK is not ready for tanking as he only has 38,293 AA. So i've been using my merc tank who is maxed out on AA. Confused on if I should add a Rogue or necro to the mix or maybe add a cleric, and have my shaman go full DPS and use the cleric and merc cleric.

What do you guys recommend?

Thank you.

I hope I posted this in the right place so that I don't get placed in the dog house again.

Hello all,

I'm starting to feel comfortable running my monk, shaman, mage and SK with a merc tank and merc healer. I want to add a 5th. My SK is not ready for tanking as he only has 38,293 AA. So i've been using my merc tank who is maxed out on AA. Confused on if I should add a Rogue or necro to the mix or maybe add a cleric, and have my shaman go full DPS and use the cleric and merc cleric.

What do you guys recommend?

Thank you.

I hope I posted this in the right place so that I don't get placed in the dog house again.
Add 2, not 1. If you are already going to 5th box, just ditch the useless mercs and make a full group of 6.

Tank, Heals, CC. Holy Trinity. You have a SHD and SHM already. Not sure on the level, but you have almost 40k AA - so work on gear/augs and he can tank anything within reason regarding current content for your level. Now you need CC. I would choose BRD, and then a 6th. Pretty much anything works here, whatever makes you happy. Caster, Melee, doesn't really matter as you are not min/maxing at this time.

My 2 cents.

Add 2, not 1. If you are already going to 5th box, just ditch the useless mercs and make a full group of 6.

Tank, Heals, CC. Holy Trinity. You have a SHD and SHM already. Not sure on the level, but you have almost 40k AA - so work on gear/augs and he can tank anything within reason regarding current content for your level. Now you need CC. I would choose BRD, and then a 6th. Pretty much anything works here, whatever makes you happy. Caster, Melee, doesn't really matter as you are not min/maxing at this time.

My 2 cents.
All my guys are 120. I've been farming AA in Firefall pass as the Dino's and the named Dino drops pretty easily. I just barely maxed the SK's Combat Agility, Stability and general sturdiness maxed. I need to figure which AA should be my priority for him now.

Shadow is spot in here. Drop both mercs and add 2. BRD and then prolly another melee like rogue or zerk. Maybe try a class that your most interested in. But 2 toons for sure as mercs are meh

You think a shaman is enough heals?
Well, that's a paltry number of AA for being 120. You aren't even close to ToV max AA on your SHD, and I am very skeptical you have put the time into farming gear or augs either. This is why we all suggest stopping, smelling the roses, and taking time instead of just rushing/being power leveled to max level. You are fighting in zones with mobs that hit like a truck, with no real way to protect yourself. Go back and do 115 zones, farm augs and AA, then give it a shot when you have done those things.

What are your current AC/HP/hDex stats?

owned.gif

At 120, for sure. I run SK,SHM,ENC,WIZ,DRU,MAG and the SK and SHM are more than enough for ToL content (no NoS yet).

EDIT - Shadow is right there as well. Run missions and such for AA's in ToV, CoV for a while. I did to max out most of the toons. My goto for aa's and to stay under the radar was going to EW and running Storm Boars, Grik, then over to GD for Seeking the Soarcer, then run SHEI (for currency and loot), then one more run of storm boars before exploring other places. Great amount of AA's for little effort. Also, grab some ToL armor from the bazaar as well if the toons don't have it.

Last edited:
I'd start tanking on your sk and healing on your sham. You'll be fine with that many AA as long as your gear is up to the expansion or previous expansion to the one you're tanking in. I started tanking on my sk with that many AA at 120 and did it easily with my 6box crew (sk, shm, zerk, bard, mage or rogue, and bst). I used to box a cleric and sham with my group, but that was way overkill for healing and the sham couldn't get much dps off with dots because my group killed so fast. So i dropped the cleric and started healing on the sham alone and my group has been better since. I'd suggest doing the same.

For your additional boxes, like others have said, you may as well go with 6 since you're thinking of 5. But you'll want a bard for sure. Bard aura and speed make bards sooo very sexy. For the last spot, I'd say a rogue, zerker, or bst depending on your preferences. In the current expansion, rogues don't have many assassination targets while they probably will in the next expansion. Typically rogues beat zerkers and bsts on dps by a slight amount. But bsts add a lot of utility and do great dps, while zerkers do great dps and have their auras which help everyone quite a bit.

Hope that helps.

I'd start tanking on your sk and healing on your sham. You'll be fine with that many AA as long as your gear is up to the expansion or previous expansion to the one you're tanking in. I started tanking on my sk with that many AA at 120 and did it easily with my 6box crew (sk, shm, zerk, bard, mage or rogue, and bst). I used to box a cleric and sham with my group, but that was way overkill for healing and the sham couldn't get much dps off with dots because my group killed so fast. So i dropped the cleric and started healing on the sham alone and my group has been better since. I'd suggest doing the same.

For your additional boxes, like others have said, you may as well go with 6 since you're thinking of 5. But you'll want a bard for sure. Bard aura and speed make bards sooo very sexy. For the last spot, I'd say a rogue, zerker, or bst depending on your preferences. In the current expansion, rogues don't have many assassination targets while they probably will in the next expansion. Typically rogues beat zerkers and bsts on dps by a slight amount. But bsts add a lot of utility and do great dps, while zerkers do great dps and have their auras which help everyone quite a bit.

Hope that helps.
I added my BL who is 111 to my group and I will level him up in Fire Fall. Also, im now not using my merc healer, as I'm pretty impressed with my shaman's healing. He is able to keep my merc tank up vs named in Fire Fall. My SK, when I tried him at tank, he just can't keep aggro with mq2eskay. So my mage pet keeps getting aggro and it's bouncing back and forth. I changed my SK to tank, but he can't keep aggro. My AA with my SK, I got all his AA maxed in the general tab for survivability (AC, STA, ETC.) and I got his Hastened Lifetaps maxed at 9/9. I'm confused on what to work on now for AA. Any tips on Priority? my apologies if not in the correct forum for this.

Did I mention my Shaman is kicking butt as the only healer? I'm impressed.

Thank you

You can never go wrong with this hotkey initially to spool your toons up:

INI:
/dgae /multiline ; /plugin mq2aaspend load ; /timed 5 /aaspend bank 200 ; /timed 10 /aaspend order 53214 ; /timed 15 /aaspend brute on ; /timed 20 /aaspend save

You can change the bank 200 to your current level x 2. So 115 would be 230, 120 - 240, etc. Or keep it at 200. Hotkey courtesy of Sic.

I added my BL who is 111 to my group and I will level him up in Fire Fall. Also, im now not using my merc healer, as I'm pretty impressed with my shaman's healing. He is able to keep my merc tank up vs named in Fire Fall. My SK, when I tried him at tank, he just can't keep aggro with mq2eskay. So my mage pet keeps getting aggro and it's bouncing back and forth. I changed my SK to tank, but he can't keep aggro. My AA with my SK, I got all his AA maxed in the general tab for survivability (AC, STA, ETC.) and I got his Hastened Lifetaps maxed at 9/9. I'm confused on what to work on now for AA. Any tips on Priority? my apologies if not in the correct forum for this.

Did I mention my Shaman is kicking butt as the only healer? I'm impressed.

Thank you
Ya mage pets are insane aggro. I just let them tank when they pull threat since they can tank some hits, and its just usually the swarm pets that steal threat. This also makes it easier on my sk, so I'm all for it.

As far as AAs, lets see.... I'm not on my SK atm, so hard to see what AAs exactly, so I'll have to go from memory. Getting your dps up a little might help with threat. AAs like veteran's wrath, and other crit specific AAs would be pretty good tho they shouldn't take too many AA to max out. Also, make sure you got gift of mana maxed, since that's a pretty good mana pres AA. Also the AA in the focus tab that makes your parlay instant for pulling is pretty clutch, make sure you max that out for an easier life. Anything to do with spell crit, or exceptional healing is good to get so you can keep yourself up when you need to. After those, I'd get your aggro AAs up, such as your AoE threat generating spells, including stream of hate (can't remember the names of the other 2, but one is PB AoE and the other is AoE based on a target).

If you got more questions, ask away. Hopefully, I'll be on my sk next time to answer them more thoroughly.

My AA with my SK, I got all his AA maxed in the general tab for survivability (AC, STA, ETC.) and I got his Hastened Lifetaps maxed at 9/9. I'm confused on what to work on now for AA. Any tips on Priority? my apologies if not in the correct forum for this.
That is nice you got that line done but there is a lot more Defensive AA's that help with aggro like the class tab Theft lines and gear .... do you have hate mask ? Rune proc weapon ? There is a lot to list with the SK but 1 thing i have never had a problem with , with my SK is getting and holding aggro and being able to tank pretty much anything in group content. You said you maxed your Lifetap Hasten did you max out the syngry one too? that is a group rune which = aggro for the SK.

That is nice you got that line done but there is a lot more Defensive AA's that help with aggro like the class tab Theft lines and gear .... do you have hate mask ? Rune proc weapon ? There is a lot to list with the SK but 1 thing i have never had a problem with , with my SK is getting and holding aggro and being able to tank pretty much anything in group content. You said you maxed your Lifetap Hasten did you max out the syngry one too? that is a group rune which = aggro for the SK.
Hello, sorry for the late reply. My SK has the Guardian's Phantasmal Luclinite Mask. It says it has "Anger" which increases the hate generated by your attacks by 22%. Is that what you are talking about? He is maxed at Knights' Synergy 13/13, Hastened Deflection Discipline 10/10, Hastened Life Taps 9/9, and Enduring Reproval is 6/6. He hasn't been 120 long and only has 42204 AA. All of his gear is pretty much group NOS gear. I need augs. Over 60 percent of his gear has no augs whatsoever. I have the ones that dropped from FF Lizard, and a few from NOS missions. I believe he has enough to go get 2 augs from the NOS group merchant. Focus on DPS to improve aggro? His HP with shaman and merc buffs is 411139 HP and 8066 AC. Thank you.

@matternk

You have an Anger mask, so no issues there. 8K AC buffed at 120 is super low. I sit at 9900 AC, 420kHP unbuffed except only mount (Lena) and Jann's veil buff at ToV 115, but I do have raid gear.

Augs, augs, augs.

I would do nothing more with your time except farm augs. When you wake up? Farm augs. When you get bored? Farm augs. Hungry? Farm augs. Feel like doing something else? Farm augs.

You don't understand how little time it really takes to farm a decent set of augs (I have done it on 5 tanks now), and puts you in a spot where you can have fun doing the things you want to do and aren't limited.

There is a thread (not looking it up) that lists a ton of tank augs you can get by farming the Chardok, Gorowyn, Overthere zones, etc. Raidloot.com has an entire list if you search up the 7,8 augs and then go hunting. Use 1hDex=4AC=40HP as your base model when looking up augs and have at it. Then for type 5 augs, straight hDex.

If I didn't mention it before? Farm augs.

Last edited:
Question - Thinking of adding a 5th box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back