• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Guide - Specialization Guide/Strat (2022) (1 Viewer)

With the new updates to specializations i wanted to get some conversation happening about what that looks like in current game 2022 (i haven't thought about specialization in ages but might help folks with mana struggle wizards and dr00ds).

- Made the following changes to specialization skills:
- - Corrected an issue where the difference in specialization skills slowly disappeared starting with level 91, having been completely eliminated by level 120.
- - Once a player is above level 40, their secondary specialization skill cap (from Secondary Forte) will be set to 50 skill points below the primary cap, while tertiary specializations are 100 points below the primary skill cap. This should smooth the difference in skill values from level 40 to 120.
- - Characters over level 90 who had high third, fourth, and fifth specialization skills have had those skills updated to be below the tertiary cap. You will have to intentionally improve your specialization skill again. See Ostorm in the Temple of Solusek Ro to reorder your skills.

> Here is a specialization guide <

This looks a little older, but might be useful - I'm interested to hear input from other folks.

Strategy of Choosing a Specialization​

Some classes have obvious specialization choices, but others are less obvious. The following are some things to take into account for each class when choosing one's primary specialization and (eventually) secondary forte.

• Cleric
    • Alteration as the standard choice, for healing and for various other spells.
    • Abjuration for specific kinds of boxed clerics who are mostly used to provide Vie buff refreshment during battles, reverse damage shield and healing shield effects, and/or death save effects, while a merc or other player does the bulk of the healing.
    • Evocation for playstyles tightly focused on direct damage spells (e.g. for some early-game leveling strategies).
  • Druid
    • "Modern" game:
    • Evocation & Conjuration are likely going to be your picks
    • Old timey game:
    • Alteration for playstyles emphasizing healing and debuffing. The late-game sporali swarm pet spells also benefit from this choice.
    • Conjuration for playstyles emphasizing DoT spells and short-duration damage shield effects. Also helps with auras.
    • Evocation for playstyles emphasizing direct damage spells.
  • Enchanter
    • Alteration for general-purpose playstyles, as it helps with debuffing, buffing, DoTing, and various other effects.
    • Evocation for playstyles focused on direct damage.
    • Conjuration for playstyles tightly focused on mez spells. Also helps with auras.
    • Divination for playstyles used in low-level AoE chain stunning setups. Generally not chosen for later level ranges.
  • Magician
    • Conjuration for most playstyles. The specialization helps with chain pet tactics, pet healing, gargoyle swarm pets, some short-duration damage shields, item summoning, beam spells, and many single-target magic-based direct damage spells.
    • Evocation for playstyles that emphasize the hard-hitting fire-based single-target direct damage spells and rain spells.
  • Necromancer
    • Alteration for most playstyles, as it helps with the efficiency of many DoTs and debuffs, lifetaps, and other utility spells.
    • Conjuration for playstyles tightly focused on dealing effective burst damage in a party, via short-duration conjuration DoTs that last about as long as the mobs do.
  • Shaman
    • Alteration for playstyles focused on healing, buffing, and debuffing.
    • Conjuration for playstyles focused on DoTs. Some direct damage spells also benefit from this choice.
  • Wizard
    • Evocation is the best specialization choice for all common playstyles.
    • The Secondary Forte choice is largely a matter of personal preference, but Abjuration is a reasonable decision for the sake of reducing the large mana costs on self-rune spells. Alteration (AoE snares) and Conjuration (temporary pets) are also options, but both are associated with spells of more trivial mana costs.

Info on what Specialization does

“When a spell is cast there is a random chance to see if it receives the specialization bonus. The higher your specialization skill the more likely it is the roll will succeed, and the greater the benefit of the roll. A successful roll will do two things:

• It will reduce the mana used on the spell.
  • It will reduce the chance of fizzling.
An unsuccessful roll will merely cause you to cast the spell with normal mana cost and fizzle chance.
The formula for mana preservation is reported to be 1% mana preservation per 20 skill points, being at 10% mana preservation at 200 specialize, and 2.5% mana preservation at 50 specialize.
Note: It has been confirmed by Geoffrey Zatkin, the once Arch-Magi at Verant that:
  • Specialization does not increase chance of recovering after interruption. This is based purely on Channeling
  • Specialization does not make spells cast faster. This is a fixed amount.

Last edited:
So, I would like my Mage to be more Pet strong than DD strong, so I should cast Conjuration spells upon logon, right?
well specialization just lowers mana cost, i don't believe it makes spells/pets hit harder

OH DUH ! Its been so long I never worried about in todays game, totally forgot ! Well mana cost will be good for the newer boxes I can eventually make. :)

Druids (in current content) need evocation as primary, then conjuration.
yeah loading mine up and actually taking a look at what it is using, i would agree with this 100%

after we get some community info i might update the main post with some clarifications

My mage's specialization skills are all 410/410 after patch. Should I just leave them alone? If I reset them in Temple of Solusek Ro, will the max value increase for the primary/secondary skills and go down the the others? What are the "new normal" values?

My mage's specialization skills are all 410/410 after patch. Should I just leave them alone? If I reset them in Temple of Solusek Ro, will the max value increase for the primary/secondary skills and go down the the others? What are the "new normal" values?
If they didn't reset, either DPG messed up in the patch or it didn't make it in. Leaving it alone seems the prudent course of action.

Specials are up to 295 for a level 120 I thought?

Primary at 295, Secondary at 245 and your remaining at 195.

Its the skills that start with "specialize" in the listing, and not the original skill.

Regards and Best Wishes

Strategy of Choosing a Specialization​

Some classes have obvious specialization choices, but others are less obvious. The following are some things to take into account for each class when choosing one's primary specialization and (eventually) secondary forte.

• Cleric
    • Abjuration for specific kinds of boxed clerics who are mostly used to provide Vie buff refreshment during battles, reverse damage shield and healing shield effects, and/or death save effects, while a merc or other player does the
Is this really a thing and how to do I convince my guild to let me be this cleric on raids?

On level 110 F2P I loaded into the game with the 5 specialize skills at 180 / 285.

I chain casted spells of my desired primary to raise its skill up and then once done, moved onto the different spell family to raise the secondary skill type with more chain casting.

Remember secondary is 50 from cap.
Once first skill made it to 236 (285-50), the skill remained / 285, but others all lowered to / 235.

Remember Tertiary is 100 from cap.
Once the second skill made it to 186 ( 285 - 100 ), the remaining three skills lowered to / 185.

Net result; first skill has cap of 285, second skill cap of 235 and the other three 185.

A level 120 would have 295, 245 and 195 respective.

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

Regards and Best Wishes.

Is this really a thing and how to do I convince my guild to let me be this cleric on raids?
Tell them it is your character and you spec how you want. This isn't an HOA, and the spec difference is minimal if you are providing those other benefits to the raid.

Ok, so Wiz would focus on EVO for sure but when you cast an EVO based spell, it raises both EVO and ALT. In fact, ALT is rising slightly faster than EVO. This seems to indicate the wiz's first specialization will be alteration instead of evocation and that seems bad. Is there another way to focus on just EVO I'm not aware of?

Ok, so Wiz would focus on EVO for sure but when you cast an EVO based spell, it raises both EVO and ALT. In fact, ALT is rising slightly faster than EVO. This seems to indicate the wiz's first specialization will be alteration instead of evocation and that seems bad. Is there another way to focus on just EVO I'm not aware of?
check you don;'t have any procs (like AA) that is triggering something else.

What spells are you casting?

Why not cast the lvl 1-4 ones? I do not believe anything will trigger AA, gear wise for specialization on those.

No, no limit I know of. I just reorganized when I hit 120 so most common spells are at the beginning of the boom instead of the end. This prompted the deleting of lower level spells that will likely never be used again.

I personally don't like/use the right click. Not really sure why, but I prefer having them organized by type and usage in the book. Easy to get to I guess.

Confused as hell. Is this working? I’ve got a new group on TLp and I’v watched my spec reset multiple times now as I leveled up. Seems to not set permanently anymore.

also, saving spells sets is a thing. then you can use the /memspellset <name of set> command to easily swap sets
Yup, thx. I have a few depending on what content/raid I'm doing and how the group makeup is. Just seemed more confusing going through the right clicked menu than the first few pages of the book

Confused as hell. Is this working? I’ve got a new group on TLp and I’v watched my spec reset multiple times now as I leveled up. Seems to not set permanently anymore.
I believe it’s broken. People have been saying it resets when you zone.

I think there is still a bug.
In the skill tab for my char it says: Abjure 193/193
But when I use the TLO it says that skillcap is 293 for 4 out of 5 specialize skills.

Can someone confirm this? Or is it just me :D

This need to be pinned to the whats new:doh:. I fumbled my Mage increasing Abjuration while using evocation. I'm think chaotic was main contributor. The never ending twin cast and fully buffed... For me evocation is number one. Mana cost and casts rate makes it well worth it.

Guide - Specialization Guide/Strat (2022)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back