• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Running 3 - Benefits of 6? (1 Viewer)

minxes

RedCents
243¢
Hey there,

I'm newly returned and got up and running with a team of 3 from my original accounts (104 Shd, 104 Enc, 96 shm) without too much issue. My end goal is to play around in CoV - but I've been reading up and see that it's mentioned a few times that CoV requires a full group (ie: not mercs) so I'm thinking of adding a few more and running a full group.

Thing is right now we're evacuated from home due to forest fires, so I'm running my 3 on just a laptop with an rtx 2060 - I was thinking it's a good time at least to create the new 3 and level them up so they catch up to the main 3, and then it'll all be ready for my PC once I get back home (as long as 'home' is still standing...)

- How much more involved / difficult is it to run a team of 6 instead of 3?
- What should I add to the group?
- Could the laptop potentially handle more if I optimized EQ a bit better (16 gigs of ram is the bottleneck I think)
- Any other suggestions / advice? I'm all ears.

Thanks!

You have a fantastic 3-person group. At this point, it would just need more DPS. I like triplets for the simplicity, and although it might not provide the *best* DPS, as far as spells/gear/configurations, it's all the same. 3 Mages perhaps? 3 of something!

Huuummm! I kind of go along with Cold with a but thrown in. It depends on what you are trying to do with your group. Are you just trying to go and kill things? Are you trying to do quests? Are you trying to explore new areas? Are you just trying to get levels or AA's? Group make up can change what you want to do. As a rule what you have and adding 3 of something will let you go and do a lot of stuff. It all comes down to what and how you like to play.

Huuummm! I kind of go along with Cold with a but thrown in. It depends on what you are trying to do with your group. Are you just trying to go and kill things? Are you trying to do quests? Are you trying to explore new areas? Are you just trying to get levels or AA's? Group make up can change what you want to do. As a rule what you have and adding 3 of something will let you go and do a lot of stuff. It all comes down to what and how you like to play.

I want to kill things, quest, explore new areas, and get levels / aa - but in specific I mentioned I want to do current-tier content (minus raids) in CoV ;)

You have a fantastic 3-person group. At this point, it would just need more DPS. I like triplets for the simplicity, and although it might not provide the *best* DPS, as far as spells/gear/configurations, it's all the same. 3 Mages perhaps? 3 of something!
I love mages. Their value is huge w/ group COH. When I'm playing and engaged (have a tasklist with things to accomplish) I park them at camps or ZL's for giant zones - ie EOK/ROS zones . They have decent DPS output with minimal gear needed and do well w/ ENC. Super low maintenance DPS addition. They don't pull agro.

If you're looking for straight DEEPS zerkers are the way to go. I found that they need some investment though (AAs, 2.0) to really maximize their value. If you're looking for a low maintenance melee dps I've seen a few parses of silver account rogues doing well.

6 is perfect for casual play. not a ton of farming needee, can tankle all group cobtent.
its a great base group. *I* would go mage x2 and bst (maybe brd). you could go zerker x2 and bst/brd, but since you have a enc, casters are your friend.
The reason i say mage x2 and bst, you get good dps from mages, decent dps, and great adps from the bst.

(fero for tank and pets, panther/shm proc for pets, lots of pets for melee, still get caster, and casters do better if you want to drop subs)

I am running with 3 mages as my dps and find them easy to manage and relatively low maintenance. I also created three zerkers but have not leveled them to 110 yet. I hear amazing things about them as well but they require good gear to excel at dps. From what I have read here, with the current f2p meta, best teams are currently:

• SHD, ENC, CLR, MAG x 3
  • SHD, SHM, BRD, BER x 3
Ultimately, you have the trinity already (Tank, CC, Heals) so just play what you love for the other three slots!

Awesome, thanks for all the advice! I think I'll go with 3 mages just for ease for now - and I might do a second team with brd / 3 zerks / shm / shd - depending on when we're allowed back home I have a lot of spare time on my hands, lol.

I can swap the shm for a clr as well, needs some leveling but it's up there at least and has her epics

Awesome, thanks for all the advice! I think I'll go with 3 mages just for ease for now - and I might do a second team with brd / 3 zerks / shm / shd - depending on when we're allowed back home I have a lot of spare time on my hands, lol.

I can swap the shm for a clr as well, needs some leveling but it's up there at least and has her epics

https://www.redguides.com/community/posts/476611/react?reaction_id=1
Second team I would go warrior in place of the sk if your going to take the time to do it. :)

Thanks!

I pretty much followed this route. My initial three were Pally, Bard, Zerk. When I added three additional toons, I actually found game play was easier than using mercs (and most certainly improved my groups abilities). Getting the set-up correct took some time but otherwise it was an overall better experience.

Three items I found to be critical. First, familiarize yourself with game mechanics for a full group and I'd suggest Sic's hotkeys and vids ("move your toons" and "quality of life"). Both made my life easier and improved my game play. Second, use CWTN plugins if available for your toons. They give you plug and play from the start, perform amazingly well and you get almost real time user support (thanks Sic). Third, use MQ2Status as it gives you invaluable input on your group without constantly toggling back and forth to each toon.

Regarding the group make-up it seems most recommend rounding out the Tank, CC, Healer with Zerk, Zerk, BST. I've found the best advice is to play what is fun for you especially since you already have the required three.

I agree with the points above. I love my MAG x 3 group too. One thing i like to include in my ini files is a couple lines devoted to having the pets taunt when the tank gets critically low to take the heat off the tank for a moment in order to get a bit of time to get the guy a heal or two. Since there are three mag pets, the mob gets confused and the damage is usually spread out over three pets so I rarely lose any. I also include some conditions to tell them to stop taunting when the tank gets past 80% again so the fun can continue.

Don't discount the group of three either. I also have a group of three where its a SHD, NEC, NEC and mercs. Obviously they aren't my go to group for challenging content but it does help keep the necromancers leveled so I can occasionally swap them into my regular groups when needed to accomplish something specific. The benefit of this group is I think I look like an alt tab boxer since the tank pulls around two casters and the rest are mercs. I like to play this group when messing around or paranoid about any anti MQ sentiment when its a hot topic. I think its good to have one of these groups.

I started the same way a few months ago. Cleric, wiz, and chanter… I used tank merc and two dps merc. The difference in 3 characters vs mercs is huge. Toss in DPS. I like having a wiz to port..especially to their bind spot. I’m limited in computer knowledge but I learned a ton from people on here and now run 6 no problem. I run war, cleric,chanter, 2 wiz and mage

- Could the laptop potentially handle more if I optimized EQ a bit better (16 gigs of ram is the bottleneck I think)

16GB is plenty for 6 characters. And your GPU is way more powerful than anything EQ will need. But, paying $10 for

Utility - MQ2EQWire | RedGuides: EverQuest Multi-boxing Community

could be a good move though!

The only potential bottleneck your hardware ~may~ pose will be heat dissipation. I box 6 on a Dell G315 and I bought a cooling platform to keep it running cooler while I'm boxing.

Thermaltake Massive 14² Notebook Cooler - Newegg.com

In my experience, managing 6 toons is no more effort than 3 toons once the basic 'move my toons' macros are set up. But 6 real toons are way more capable than 3 toons.

I highly recommend that if you are remotely thinking of moving to 6 you do it now rather than later, especially if you are planning to do any progression work. Going back to repeat missions and quests for each new toon is a PITA. As a bonus you will be able to use many more drops to outfit your guys rather than let them rot.

Hey there,

I'm newly returned and got up and running with a team of 3 from my original accounts (104 Shd, 104 Enc, 96 shm) without too much issue. My end goal is to play around in CoV - but I've been reading up and see that it's mentioned a few times that CoV requires a full group (ie: not mercs) so I'm thinking of adding a few more and running a full group.

Thing is right now we're evacuated from home due to forest fires, so I'm running my 3 on just a laptop with an rtx 2060 - I was thinking it's a good time at least to create the new 3 and level them up so they catch up to the main 3, and then it'll all be ready for my PC once I get back home (as long as 'home' is still standing...)

- Any other suggestions / advice? I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Running 6 with MQ2 is no harder than running 3. I run multiple sets of 6 (only 8 accounts but several group make ups)
you ahve the trinity already Tank/Heals/CC so add ya some dps
the max dps ive seen is
Tank/Heals/CC/Zerk/Zerk/Bst
good second is
Tank/Heals/CC/rogue/rogue/bst
good 3rd is (and im working this one right now)
Tank/Heals/CC/mage/mage/wizard(or druid)

with your setup i would def say either zerk zerk bst or mage mage wizard/druid (after my new mages and wizard get max aa ill do a druid on wizard account)

Dont forget there is a macro here that will help ya level up those toons pretty fast (forgot name of it, i have used it a couple times)

watch the videos man, Sic in particular. and ask tons of questions.

CWTN plugins rock and are out of the box easy. but cost, free alternative is kissassist and look in the archive for ini's for your class's

Thanks again for all of the info guys, I really appreciate it! I am running all CWTN at the moment just because I'm an 'out of the box' loving gal - I did have a ranger I was using with kissassist too, and I'm having a blast getting familiar with adjusting .ini to my group specifications. I've been watching Sic's videos, and anything else I can get my hands on.

Good to know that there's a noticeable difference running players vs. mercs, it sounds like that makes the decision for me, honestly. I'm not a huge fan of mercs but they've got their place and help get shit done since I do only have the 3 (for now, that won't be long lasting).

@minxes Already knowing the sk enc and sham is a big bonus. Named and group content can be a pain. Surviving or dyeing could be determined by how quick you can grab hate and deploy debuffs, normal dps, your burn, ability to pull and use crowd control. Your strengths would be; Sk has a lots of aoe hate, fd, snare, life taps. Enc can greatly increase or decrease hate with visages, use of rune, mez, calm, boost magic damage for a burn, spell mitigation and debuff. I don't know much about shams but, enc+sham = a lot of debuffs. IF you go with 3 mages and one healer make sure mages heal own pets. I know this stuff can be done with one healer and most suggest it, but might considered replacing a mage with a druid until your sk decked out. Druid would add dps, healing, pet heals, pet, swarm pet and buffs for group burns. The group would start with 6 summoned pets hitting 10 in short order making your many line more useful. Your group sk, enc, sham, and druid mage x2 will shine when your facing more than one mob. This group will have a butch of oh shit, and burn tools. PS group with out cleric please remember to get spell haste. Look at arander post. You already have the the trinity. A real tank, real healer, and crowd control.
Running 6 with MQ2 is no harder than running 3. I run multiple sets of 6 (only 8 accounts but several group make ups)
you ahve the trinity already Tank/Heals/CC so add ya some dps
the max dps ive seen is
Tank/Heals/CC/Zerk/Zerk/Bst
good second is
Tank/Heals/CC/rogue/rogue/bst
good 3rd is (and im working this one right now)
Tank/Heals/CC/mage/mage/wizard(or druid)

with your setup i would def say either zerk zerk bst or mage mage wizard/druid (after my new mages and wizard get max aa ill do a druid on wizard account)

Dont forget there is a macro here that will help ya level up those toons pretty fast (forgot name of it, i have used it a couple times)

watch the videos man, Sic in particular. and ask tons of questions.

CWTN plugins rock and are out of the box easy. but cost, free alternative is kissassist and look in the archive for ini's for your class's

Yep - every group member, or at least every one with FD, should have a healer merc on standby for recovery operations.
Actually...necro's are really great utility, rez, corpse recovery at high-end game. FYI in case you're looking for a class with high outdps/high survival ability/rez capability

Add to that, the current content is undead heavy. so that would be alot of fun. creates more utility for a necro. they can debuff, mez ( charm? ) . can solo like crazy and can group/raid like champs... their pets get pretty good too with high EM. ive seen a necro pet tank cov names tier 1 and eat them up. If the proverbial sh*t hits the fan... u have instant fd... start over with alot less mess.

Question - Running 3 - Benefits of 6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back