• You've discovered RedGuides šŸ“• an EverQuest multi-boxing community šŸ›”ļøšŸ§™šŸ—”ļø. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! šŸ‘‹
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Question about my grouping (1 Viewer)

MadaSnave

RedCents
638Ā¢
So currently I have a level 110 ogre sk, a 92 mage a 91 druid and shaman 90 bst and 86 enchanter and 85 necro.

the bst keeps dieing when I'm pulling even with aoe hate spells and taking time on pulls in beast domain. as well as the mage and shaman from time to time getting trashed. I don't know how they pull agro or what all is going on as I'm driving the sk at the time. been using RGMercs for the others and only recently put the necro in over the bst as it seems like any one meleeing the mobs just gets thrashed even when positioning the mob to not riposte.

the chanter and necro are both heroic char's that i could remake to something else if i need to as i have a 71 enchanter if i need buffs for low level chars.

just wondering how i can do this better if i should switch to kissassist at these levels or switch zones.

I've always heard about running missions but don't even know where to start those at. every time i do a google search eq website shows up talking about the quest window as a task system and gives no details on missions people speak of.

Thanks for any advise or help.

So currently I have a level 110 ogre sk, a 92 mage a 91 druid and shaman 90 bst and 86 enchanter and 85 necro.

the bst keeps dieing when I'm pulling even with aoe hate spells and taking time on pulls in beast domain. as well as the mage and shaman from time to time getting trashed. I don't know how they pull agro or what all is going on as I'm driving the sk at the time. been using RGMercs for the others and only recently put the necro in over the bst as it seems like any one meleeing the mobs just gets thrashed even when positioning the mob to not riposte.

the chanter and necro are both heroic char's that i could remake to something else if i need to as i have a 71 enchanter if i need buffs for low level chars.

just wondering how i can do this better if i should switch to kissassist at these levels or switch zones.

I've always heard about running missions but don't even know where to start those at. every time i do a google search eq website shows up talking about the quest window as a task system and gives no details on missions people speak of.

Thanks for any advise or help.
First question is are you using CWTN for SK? For those that do not have CWTN for the class Iā€™ve pretty much always use KA, though Iā€™m not to familiar with RGMercs. Experienced a few things that I didnā€™t know how to fix and was easier to just use KA. A lot of already built .ini in the library esp for those levels. To me it sounds like all of these toons are on their own account, if so I would run the Sk, shm, bst, mag, enc and necro. Your sk and shm here are the key players, the bst and mage will put out decent dps for that level along with the necro depending on length of fights. The Dru will run out of mana fairly quickly vs the shm which when he hits like 110 thatā€™s when his heals get really good and will almost never run out of mana. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the CWTN plugins for those that are avail. And the only ones that arenā€™t currently out yet are the Druid and necro. With your sk being 110 I would probably be in FM killing some synarks. Fast Respawn rate , plenty of mobs. And your sk should be putting out enough dmg to kill them decently quick. This will be good xp for the little guys. Thatā€™s where I PLd my second group from 90-105/110. At 110 I threw them into some snowbound and some updated weapons and began running MQ2Grind by Hytiek( truly a great addition to RG) it will be a bit finicky because of the level and gear of the group. Youā€™ll have to keep an eye on it as some of your toons will probably die and there are parts where you will get several mobs and if the sk doesnā€™t grab aggro asap your shm might even go down and this the rest. I would focus on gearing your Sk and Shm first once it becomes a decision. By missions Iā€™m unsure which you might be talking about. But there is goblins and fools I believe itā€™s call in FM with a lvl req of 95( this mission is also included in Grind!!) and you can go into your achievements window and look at the recent xpansions, there should be a missions tab that you could look at , see what you havenā€™t completed yet and see the rewards for each and pick and choose the ones you wanna complete. If youā€™re unsure what each of those refer to you can search in alla the ach name and it should give you all the quest info. There is also eqresource.com which is a huge help when completing quests, named hunting, gear hunting and more. Between Alla (I google eq zam band itā€™s the first link), eqresource and eqtrader site you can find pretty much everything you need! If you have any other questions feel free to hit me up.

AoE's might be the culprit for dying group members. I know a few of the named mobs (and I'm having trouble remembering on trash mobs) in beasts domain have some pretty nasty AoE's for under geared characters to be eating. This would explain it happening to the beast more than the others as he's right next to the mob and not avoiding any of them like the others might.

If AoE's are the culprit, switching to KA wouldn't actually do you any good. Just keeping them away from the AoE's is all you can do. If the bst is running in too early and getting aggro before you've got it in camp and well established on the SK, just adjust your assist percent back a little bit.

I don't really want to comment on your group composition because I'm big on 'whatever you're having fun playing' since anything with a tank, healer, and CC is viable in basically every era of the game. And in a lot of the game, you can get by without CC.

When people talk about running missions they're talking about heroic adventures. There's a ton of them starting with the CotF expansion. Gribble's 3 missions in Dead Hills and Marla's 3 missions in Ethernere Tainted West Karana are good starter missions as far as those go. They're more or less straight forward (extremely straight forward for Gribble's) and quite easy for the era. They stop scaling at whatever level was end game for the expansion, so those ones will stop scaling at level 100. They also give every member of your party expansion currency you can use to gear up and buy augs at the vendors in the same camp as Marla in ETWK.

The Broken Mirror expansion also had a ton of pretty good heroic adventures and also offers expansion currency. In fact, this is the last time they made it easy to gear up entirely from expansion currency. Start off with the first three mission here - The Broken Mirror Progression - EQResource - To get your mirror (you can right click it to port between the demiplane of life and demiplane of decay). The first two are simple running around and doing hails, and the 3rd, Into the Temple (b) is actually a great mission to repeat for said currency. It offers a high amount of currency for how long it generally takes. There's tons of other missions in that expansion and they'll all scale to 105. EQResource has all the information on each quest in each zone. - I have a list of TBM era HA's I really liked somewhere. If I find it I'll edit it in later.

After that you're on to grinding EoK/RoS zones.

As an SK - the absolute best thing you have in your toolbox is AGGRO control.

If somebody else is taking agro from you and you dont want them to....you are doing it wrong..or people are deliberately trying to get agro.

Have you got all the Hate building AA? These are a must.

Here are a few Tips.

1. Keep Voice of Thule on yourself at all times.

2. Pull with either a Terror Spell, or a Protest spell. Initial Pull agro gets a Bonus - so you may find Terror gives a better result than Protest. Nothing wrong with Both.

- Try Terror on Pull, and Protest as soon as mob is back to camp.

3. AE Hate - you get two of them. (Explosion of Hatred, Explosion of Spite)..Use them as soon as they are up.

4. Frontal Cone Hate (Stream of Hatred) Use that as well.

5. Hates Attraction....even if the mob is standing beside you

6. Ageless Enmity

7. Unyielding Acrimony

8. Veil of Darkness

9. Projection of Doom

10. Lifetap Dot - Bond of Whatever (On every mob)

11. AE Agro Spell as a last resort

12. Oh yeah and Taunt....

If you are doing all of these things and someone else is taking agro from you then the problem is not with you...Its with them.
I have been MT for raids weilding only a Beer Bottle and no pants..and I still didnt lose agro.

So..on your other toons. Turn Pet Taunt OFF...and never use it.
Dont assist at 100....try assisting at 98 or so...

If they are still taking agro...cast Voice of Thule on them..and watch them die

a war will take and hold Argro over any sk out there. if they want to. i personally do it to raid geared sk's with big heads all the time.

EDIT: single target wars are the best period. the negative vote is just some dissatisfied sk who lost agro to a warrior.

EDIT2: check your slows, see when they hit, that pisses a mob off fast

Last edited:
a war will take and hold Argro over any sk out there. if they want to. i personally do it to raid geared sk's with big heads all the time.
Many classes have a few tools which will bring them to the top of the aggro tree...hell even a pally can climb the tree these days, but the sk is the true master of Aggro because of the vast range of tools and their relatively small cool downs.

We can do this all day...and the warrior just has to wait for his shit to refresh.....

try it, the warrior wins, the sk wins for the split second it takes to hit an ability to take it until the warrior hits it to overrule the sk. the sk has the most abilities because he needs them. the war does it just by being there.

a group geared war beats a raid geared sk single target. this being said an sk can hold area better for the abilities he has (shorter cooldowns) but a warrior is no slouch in that either. a warrior does 2 things really well, holds agro and takes a beating. he does not get to be fancy like an sk. there is the reason a war will outdo agro in an sk

thanks for the advise guess the aoe's were just to much for bst, and i know shaman was summoned so must of been slow. had them assist at 95% but will lower it and start running the other macros.

yes sounds like the slow. around that level there should be a buff for the tank that makes him proc the slow, works better

i think Lethargy may be its name. i could be wrong... any shaman want to clarify?

I just spent time in beasts with a group around level 93.

With a 110 tank, you don't need slow. Even with in-era toon I usually only slow-named mobs. You probably don't need to slow at all. As da Man mentioned, if you do need slow, try using the proc versions.

My guess is the other toons are probably under-geared. Missions are a good way to earn gear for your toons, but your level split might make it tough. Mobs will scale to the highest level toon of your group, so your lower-level folks will be fighting a lot of reds. They still might be a good option though, and at least worth a try.

I always recommend the TBM gear up to 105 if you can afford to buy remnants of tranquility to keep the best augs for them. There are a couple of benefits to TBM over some of the other expansions:
  1. The currency (Remnants of Tranquility) is tradable. This is very powerful because you can simply buy extras from the bazaar (if you can afford them). Even if you can't buy extras, you can cannibalize your own group's currency to feed your most important toons. I usually try to keep my tank and healer in the highest level augs they can wear. After that, I try to keep my cc 5 levels below the current (so at level 95 he'd be buying 90 augs). Then I focus on keeping the DPS in updated weapons augs and whatever other gear they can afford.
  2. The TBM gear was poorly designed and carries 105-level focus effects at level 75. This makes it very powerful 75 - 95ish. With level-appropriate augs, the weapons are better than anything else you can get aside from raid weapons. Furthermore, if you run missions you'll get Crypt-Hunter gear from named mobs. This is better than the vendor-purchased gear and the BPs carry some nice effects (that are again level 105 effects).
I can give you a lot more information on TBM if you need it, but the link Avian provided is a good start. If you have questions about it, just ask.

Many classes have a few tools which will bring them to the top of the aggro tree...hell even a pally can climb the tree these days, but the sk is the true master of Aggro because of the vast range of tools and their relatively small cool downs.

We can do this all day...and the warrior just has to wait for his shit to refresh.....
I disagree...war can duel wield hate proc weapons on top of their regular abilities...you must be using your war wrong. You also need to be using "Agony potions" which will increase the war's ability to hold aggro over anything in the equniverse...

Make sure you've got some good augs socketed that will increase aggro...like life drain or what not...

Don't get me wrong...sk's are great caster/tanks...but you're reliying on spells/mana/stamina....a war can go all day long and their mitigation is fantastic. War/Enc/Cleric/Bard all day...

^^^ this exactly. couldn't have said it better

naamloseeen said it good too. tbm is good gear for a tank and any other toon (ears and fingers run well past the 105 jewelry too). i run the temple over and over to get remnants. then missions as well.

if you are lucky you can get the type 5 augs and every aug from tbm except a few is free to play as well

well tried the missions with out the sk and having earth pet tank lol 4 mobs in and went to shit mage pet died and lost bst and shaman. wish the zone would do like the one in pok instance where first in sets the level.

Air for more tank and water for more damage I thought? I use water as well.
I swap them out at leisure. I tend to go with water as it's usually a higher level per. I like air when mobs are stunnable.

Let me see?
Earth only when I need root.
Fire when the group has a good tank.
Water when I molo or Air when I molo.
That's it for Mage. Easy peasy.

Necro... Go with warrior in the five level range.

Bst... Does it even matter?

All three tank classes are fully capable of tanking (yes, even Paladins). So I wouldn't expect switching to warrior to make a huge difference for you.

They've all got their pluses and minuses, but the choice of tank is a personal preference, so go with whatever you like.

But, yeah, now that they are closer in level range, you'll see where the weaknesses of your group are. Having a tank that's 20 levels higher than everyone else can hide a lot of problems.

the war will be less squishy, more mitigation and as long as there is a healer a better choice (less failure easier to tank). an sk will tank like a rollercoaster, hp up and down, a war tanks like a tank, steady damage till he gets a heal. be sure you understand war discs when you set up your ini

just wanted to give an update, didn't know that heroic adventures only could scale to a point of X levels, in the case of the gribbles ones only to level 100 which put the trash at 98. so taking the group there with the 110 and farming aa's while leveling them now.

Question - Question about my grouping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back