• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Procedure entry point could not be found mq2main / mq2plugin.dll etc (1 Viewer)

RedCents
50¢
Hey all,

I returned from about a year break from the game. When I reloaded the launcher, I updated everything, and when I tried to launch the game through MQ2 I get this error. "The procedure entry point pTradeSkillDeptWnd could not be located in the dynamic link library". I have looked at previous threads with similar issues and tried the suggestions to fix the issue (redownloading MQ2, checking the ini file for plugins, and I verified my licenses are still valid for about another month). I am not sure where I should take my troubleshooting from here. I will attach a screenshot of the error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
image_2023-02-15_211456238.png

Solution
Welcome back!

did you install mq over your old mq2 install?

I would suggest having the launcher point to a fresh location and then re-install - you can migrate settings if you do that --- or just wipe out that entire install directory and then reinstall. you don't want any old lingering and potentially conflicting files

The options to fix this are as follows:

- The RG Launcher is unable to *delete* old files.
-- This means you will get an error box if you don't have a current plugin that matches the mq build
-- your options are:
--- a: purchase a license
--- b: delete the old .dll in your plugin folder, and/or
--- c: change your macroquest.ini to MQ2PluginName=0 under [Plugins]

if your error has to do with mq2main.dll:

the other big...
Welcome back!

did you install mq over your old mq2 install?

I would suggest having the launcher point to a fresh location and then re-install - you can migrate settings if you do that --- or just wipe out that entire install directory and then reinstall. you don't want any old lingering and potentially conflicting files

The options to fix this are as follows:

-- This means you will get an error box if you don't have a current plugin that matches the mq build
-- your options are:

if your error has to do with mq2main.dll:

the other big thing to think about is checking if you installed any macroquest files into your everquest folder - this should not be like that

check that you don't have dlls like eqlib.dll, mq2main.dll etc in your everquest folder and delete them

if your error has to do with a specific plugin like mq2grind.dll or mq2berzerker.dll:
- make sure you update VV and check to ensure your plugins are also updated

Solution
I have the same error. I have not touched my EQ files/folders in months. Today, after the patch, every char logged in comes up with this error, but appears to load ok ?? I am not running iSBoxer on this computer either.

Last edited:
I have the same error. I have not touched my EQ files/folders in months. Today, after the patch, every char logged in comes up with this error, but appears to load ok ??
Are you sure some of yours are not plugins?

-- your options are:

Are you sure some of yours are not plugins?

-- your options are:
So only the CWTN plugin toons are throwing the error. Regular toons not running CWTN plugins are loading w/o error.

So only the CWTN plugin toons are throwing the error. Regular toons not running CWTN plugins are loading w/o error.
yes, they are plugins that expired

it wouldn't say Mq2main.dll it would say mq2berzeker (like your screenshot) or whatever dll

the problem and solution:

-- your options are:

I'm receiving the same error every time I log in with AutoLogin, ALL 6 of my boxes are giving me the same error with MQ2Necro.dll as the culprit. I have never purchased any of the plugins, But CWTN did give me a few week trial of MQ2Berserker a couple years ago. So deleting that file will fix this? Just odd that it started doing this out of the blue...

I did run the open test of necro a couple days, that could be it, but it's affected all my accounts, not just the one with the necro! Many thanks!
It would. It is the plugin trying to be loaded as mentioned above.

-- your options are:

Sorry, I don't see where it's mentioned above that the plugins are trying to load. That might have been a little more helpful... And while I was in there, I did see the MQ2Paladin.dll, which I never used or tested, should that also be removed?
do what now?

look at several posts in this thread.

if your error is not "mq2main.dll" but instead "mq2plugin.dll" where "plugin" is anything like necro, paladin, grind, berzerker, enchanter, cleric, monk, rogue, bst, shaman, war then it is because you are trying to load a .dll in your macroquest plugins folder that does not match your MQ build (which is loaded from what you have set in your macroquest.ini unde the [Plugin] section)

-- your options are:

Odd, if that is in any of the above post, I can't see it and I've looked through them more than a dozen times and twice since your reply.... Guess it's something wonky on my feed. Apologies

if your error is not "mq2main.dll" but instead "mq2plugin.dll" where "plugin" is anything like necro, paladin, grind, berzerker, enchanter, cleric, monk, rogue, bst, shaman, war then it is because you are trying to load a .dll in your macroquest plugins folder that does not match your MQ build (which is loaded from what you have set in your macroquest.ini unde the [Plugin] section)

Just odd that it started doing this out of the blue...

Its not odd at all. It happens when we are forced to make certain kinds of changes that break binary compatibility with plugins (like with this latest patch). its normally not an issue unless you have plugins that aren't getting updates because you aren't subscribed to them.

Ok, I've never been good at letting sleeping dogs lie, I looked it over again and finally spotted that line I quoted above. It LOOKED like it was part of the response of "Getting Started / Returning user" response you were making to the original post. Which made me skim right past it every time I looked for it.

And no, that does not say it either in that last post quoted at me...

Again, I apologize...

Ok, I've never been good at letting sleeping dogs lie, I looked it over again and finally spotted that line I quoted above. It LOOKED like it was part of the response of "Getting Started / Returning user" response you were making to the original post. Which made me skim right past it every time I looked for it.

And no, that does not say it either in that last post quoted at me...

Again, I apologize...
Skim vs read seems to be the issue..

Good Evening;

I've been getting the

Procedure entry point could not be found mq2main

error for the last two days on all my accounts. I think it is due to the fact that I used the MQ2Paladin and MQ2Necro pluggins at one time when they were being tested. The problem is, they are not in my plugins section of my launcher.
I've attached a screenshot of the launcher pluggin section to show this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

sincerely;

Jarlentor

WELL....... Immediately after writing this and posting it.... I thought...... "Self..... you should check the PLUGIN directory in your MQ2 folder" and there we found the two errant DLL files.....

Sorry to have caused any confusion.... Problem solved!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    69.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
@Turaj Steelfist

-- your options are:

Hey all.

It has been a few days since I have tried some things to fix the problem I posted earlier in the thread. I have now tried to create a new download location it did not work. I have also tried to remove MQ and the launcher completely and do a fresh install on everything which also did not work for me. I was guessing that maybe the issue could have been multiple versions of MQ conflicting. I also looked into the ini file for MQ and noticed that the plugins for example "mq2mage.dll" does not show up in the text editor when I open it. Any advice on the next steps? For reference the error:
1677138559461.png

Hello everyone,

It's been a few days since I tried some of the solutions suggested in my previous thread, but unfortunately they didn't work. I attempted to create a new download location, but that didn't solve the issue. I also tried uninstalling MQ and the launcher and performing a fresh installation of everything, but the error persists.

Initially, I thought the error might have been caused by conflicting MQ downloads, but with everything uninstalled, I'm not sure if that was the issue. Upon checking the ini file for MQ, I noticed that some plugins, such as "mq2mage.dll," are not showing up in the text editor when I open it. That is after I reinstalled the MQ2Mage plugin via the launcher.

Do you have any advice on what my next steps should be? Here's the error message for reference:
1677192550993.png

That was my suspicion after your previous suggestion. I went ahead and deleted the Everquest folder, then reinstalled everything, and that seems to have fixed the problem! I appreciate all the help!

Sic,

In order to understand what is going on, I have a follow-up question to try to understand. I was getting the response listed above for the MQ2Monk.Dll. I used to use that plugin until I replaced the monk with a different class. Once the subscription ran out, I started getting the error. I searched it, found this post, read your list of fixes and deleted the Monk DLL. Voila, problem is fixed.

What I noticed is that there is a DLL for every class, even ones I have never played. Was curious about why those do not cause a problem? Are they placeholders and will the Monk DLL be replaced with one?

Thanks

Sic,

In order to understand what is going on, I have a follow-up question to try to understand. I was getting the response listed above for the MQ2Monk.Dll. I used to use that plugin until I replaced the monk with a different class. Once the subscription ran out, I started getting the error. I searched it, found this post, read your list of fixes and deleted the Monk DLL. Voila, problem is fixed.

What I noticed is that there is a DLL for every class, even ones I have never played. Was curious about why those do not cause a problem? Are they placeholders and will the Monk DLL be replaced with one?

Thanks
no, it means they are not set to load in your macroquest.ini which is what one of the solutions above mentions - changing it to =0 instead of =1

=1 says "please try and load this thing"
=0 says "pease do nothing to this thing"

I just purchased the Shaman Plugin and got where it says Plugins on the Red Guides Launcher and I have it set to watch. I tried loading it in game (was in game when purchased) and it gave me the error:

Plugin mq2Shaman couldn't be loaded. Plugin was not built for this version of EQ (was built for May 24, 2023 09:38:34).

I said well maybe I have to log out of EQ and reload and since my computer was running a little sluggish from not being off for a week maybe, I decided to shut down and give it an hour break and turned back on. I loaded up the RG Launcher and loaded MQ. I loaded all 6 toons. I tried to pull up the EQ Plugin for Shamans and still no go. I tried to make sure all Plugins updated and needed to log out of close MQ from running (in game i guessing) so I just log all 6 out instead of unload. I did the update and now not only will the MQ2Shaman not load, but MQ2Eskay and MQ2Grind won't load now with the same issue and they were working just fine before any of this happened.

I am thinking it was the update to the plugins that created this issue. Is there anyway to unload the plugins form the launcher to get a different version of the plugins to get back where I was at least?

-- your options are:

Your eq has to match the mq build and your plugins have to match the mq build

You will want to check your plugins tab of your launcher to make sure you have the files you think you do.

Darksight, were you able to sort the issue? I'm inclined to agree with Sic regarding the plugin tab of the launcher. Though if I were to guess based on checking the last time you downloaded the plugins, it was about an hour 20 minutes before the last post. It's reasonable to think you downloaded the plugins but haven't patch macroquest, so macroquest is an older version than the plugins which makes them incompatible. Your likely solution was going to be update Macroquest, then get copies of the plugins. Typically a procedure entry point is alluding to the idea that a plugin is not the correct version to match macroquest. In the case where it's saying specifically it was not build for this version of macroquest/everquest it means just to be sure you should log out of all version of macroquest and everquest, then update EQ, Update MQ, and update the Plugins. It's the best way to ensure they are all matching versions.

I am having this message pop up after I launch MQ and start everquest just before the server select screen. It does not prevent me from going to my server, selecting a character and logging in. After in the game I am not receiving any error's and can play just fine. I just wanted to report the message I am getting. Any idea what it means?

The procedure entry point AddMQ2Data could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Users\blank\AppData\local\VeryVanilla\MacroQuest\Release\Plugin s\MQ2Collectible.DLL.

Problem - Procedure entry point could not be found mq2main / mq2plugin.dll etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back