• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Preferred VPN (1 Viewer)

Dorambo

RedCents
316¢
So, my current VPN is up, and I'm looking for a change. I currently use ProtonVPN, but I'm just tired of it.

What are y'all's thoughts on ExpressVPN? My IT Director swears by it. Surfshark maybe? I used to use Nord but word on the street says they log, eventhouhh I bet every VPN out there does some type of logging regardless of marketing.

I'm looking for that sweet midground. Not looking for TOR sites, or mass downloading, just mainly basic stuff.

So, my current VPN is up, and I'm looking for a change. I currently use ProtonVPN, but I'm just tired of it.

What are y'all's thoughts on ExpressVPN? My IT Director swears by it. Surfshark maybe? I used to use Nord but word on the street says they log, eventhouhh I bet every VPN out there does some type of logging regardless of marketing.

I'm looking for that sweet midground. Not looking for TOR sites, or mass downloading, just mainly basic stuff.
Express VPN an Surfshark are both good alternatives. I use ExpressVPN now but used Surfshark before.

Curious as to why you have grown tired of ProtonVPN? I love the Mail service, I have even gifted a year to some family and friends.

-Taz

P.S. I also use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ for VPN

Idk. I guess I'm bored of it? I use protonmail, but just the free stuff. I have several mail accounts, haha.

Out of curiosity, are you using a VPN to help shield info from DPG? I have seen multiple posts here stating it does not help for that but I was curious. I do not currently run one, but maybe I should!

If logging is what you're worried about, ExpressVPN is a good option. They keep connection logs but don't keep traffic or activity logs, which is usually what you'd be worried about. The connection logs can't be used to identify individuals (which is not the case for all VPNs). This was proven when Turkish authorities seized one of their servers to investigate an assassination and failed to get useful information.

You can read about it here.

EDIT: And, for what it's worth, the other two mentioned in this thread (Surfshark and NordVPN) have similar no-log policies. But I'm not aware of any times either of them has been tested in the real world.

Last edited:
NordVPN is audited annually by PWC. If they stop publishing audit results that’s when I’d worry about logging.

Mullvad is another option, out of Sweden.

Out of curiosity, are you using a VPN to help shield info from DPG? I have seen multiple posts here stating it does not help for that but I was curious. I do not currently run one, but maybe I should!
No. Not at all. Not worried about that. They'll find who is injecting a third party program if they intend to. I don't think a VPN would even matter with DBG.

I use it for simple security. Wife. Kids. Etc.

Tech - Preferred VPN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back