• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Power Leveling Motives (1 Viewer)

RedCents
8,297¢
I was curious what everyone's motives are for power leveling? Personally, I have loved just playing the game from 1-Max with each character the entire time I have been playing the game. I understand the drive some people have for skipping a bunch of levels, such as getting other classes up to current content, etc. But I am wondering what other motives people have for doing so? I suppose this is tied into the whole Heroic character thing too.

I had a small core group which I used to power level 1 of each class. I wasn't interested in redoing content I had done before.
Not sure if it still counts as power leveling, but I've had newly created classes completely leech until level 110 and then go gold for a month to get AAs.

While I haven't done it, I could see someone powerleveling some classes/gnome for specific purposes. Forage bot, missing tradeskill (Alchemy/Poison/Tinkering).

I was curious what everyone's motives are for power leveling? Personally, I have loved just playing the game from 1-Max with each character the entire time I have been playing the game. I understand the drive some people have for skipping a bunch of levels, such as getting other classes up to current content, etc. But I am wondering what other motives people have for doing so? I suppose this is tied into the whole Heroic character thing too.

From what I have seen in my 2 months since returning to EQ, the modern EQ life does not begin until level 100, or perhaps 95. I have not power leveled but if I were to try out a different team, I think I would power level 5 toons. For me, the game changed when I was able to easily rotate through the 3 Gribble's HA's and the 4 Partisan TBM HA's. Now at level 108, I am trying to find a nice EOK HA rotation to get alt currency to buy the bag for the EoK expansion. Also trying to piece together a complete conflagrant set on my SK tank. As long as he can hold aggro well, I can get by for now, with T3 TBM gear on the 5 others.

Be well. Happy gaming.

From what I have seen in my 2 months since returning to EQ, the modern EQ life does not begin until level 100, or perhaps 95. I have not power leveled but if I were to try out a different team, I think I would power level 5 toons. For me, the game changed when I was able to easily rotate through the 3 Gribble's HA's and the 4 Partisan TBM HA's. Now at level 108, I am trying to find a nice EOK HA rotation to get alt currency to buy the bag for the EoK expansion. Also trying to piece together a complete conflagrant set on my SK tank. As long as he can hold aggro well, I can get by for now, with T3 TBM gear on the 5 others.

Be well. Happy gaming.
For me, it's just peaceful playing the earlier levels. Also, it seems that it's less stressful doing so overall. It always seemed to get more intense the higher level you go. Maybe that's weird. But I like weird I guess. But I hear ya on your point. Go where the action is.

For me, I've done the lower level content to death, so I usually power level a different class so that I can group with my high levels.

For me it's fun tweaking differently group configurations and playing those little used classes like druids. Without power leveling though, those unpopular classes would be too difficult or boring to level up imho.

Last edited:
Grow my arsenal...run out of stuff to do in existing toons...so lather, rinse, repeat...

Sometimes it could be just the challenge of how fast you can level a toon to current content. But do not forget also by Power leveling you quickly add another class to your team or arsenal of characters

I am leveling a new 6 pack and not in any rush. They are currently 82 and to be honest, it's just not that much fun to me. I either buff them and go on Hunter Tank or DS kill with an outside source. I know I will enjoy the fruits of my labor but that is a ways off yet.

For me, it just seems pointless to aim for a new gear or spell upgrade knowing that there is going to be another one a week or two later. Sure, that was necessary when leveling up the first set, but now that I have higher level toons it is just wasted time. In other words, why spend time on obsolete stuff?

There is quite enough content for things that aren't going to be obsolete, even at max level. ToV earring. TS & Artisan's Prize. Progression tasks. Hunter. Collections. Playing with housing. Anniversary quests. Clickies. Sure, doing some of these when they are level-appropriate might be more fun (or more frustrating, depending on how you look at it), but doing it once is enough. It is enough work when max level.

At level 120 the game isn't over. Just the world is opened up to you.

I was curious what everyone's motives are for power leveling?

#HeroicToonsKeepMeEnjoyingBeingLazyEnjoyingTheGame :P ... I really rather out level the content and blow through it without any regard for help (LFG, raids, etc...), I want to just log in, get stuff done, and log off... making or powerleveling a toon to max level/aa allows me to enjoy the game, see the content, and not have to worry about the depending on anyone else to get stuff done... just my humble opinion... though it's not for everyone!

Back in the early days of EQ, a guildy who wasn't playing much shared his DRU username/pw with me. I was then able to alt-tab from the druid over to my (new) SHD to DS & heal. This felt groundbreaking as I had mained a WIZ up to 65 and spent far too much time either LFG or quad kiting exp and staring at the spell book for hours just to see my XP level creeeeep up and feared any mob for its ability to beat my poor caster into high-elf pate. PLing still feels a bit magical like that and at the end, I've got some characters that fulfill some purpose. Need a ROG w/ SOS to farm ground spawns? PL one. Need a RNG to forage some junk? PL one. Bored of your SHD? PL a WAR.

When I came back to the game, I got to experience the grind from 1 - 110 (ROS or TBL was out by the time I capped out). Now it's a formality that I can semi-bypass.

TBH, every MMO I've seen has people who either like to stop and smell the flowers when they make an alt (altoholics who can't decide on what they want to do) or want to cap out and max out ASAP. After you level cap, EQ begins. Progression, TS for masochists, PLing a raid force, etc.

Discussion - Power Leveling Motives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back