• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Please help a new player understand the different combat assistants (1 Viewer)

RedCents
969¢
The title says it all. I understand what MQ2 does (I think), from there it gets hazy. I'm using several different "things" and I would like to sort them out. I'm hoping I can ask and get replies without offending anyone...

1) What is the difference between KissAssist, RGMercs, and CWTN plugins? I thought they all worked together, but it appears some shouldn't be used together because they fight for control and give (sometimes) different commands.

2) How would a new user choose between them? i.e. what should a new user know before making the choice.

To be honest, on this one, I chose CWTN because of Sic's videos and how easy it was to get going. I don't regret my purchase - I would do it again, but I would like to know more about the others since I can't use CWTN on every toon (yet). I know that CWTN is basically download, run, and it goes. I like the interface and I'm learning my way through it (to customize).

3) I'm running some CWTN plugins., but, not every toon has them. An example is my mage: so, do I run KA or RGM on the mage and how do I make sure I don't run those when I'm running the CWTN. I know that CWTN shuts down the others on startup, but what if I issue commands to the mage in a fight? How do I make sure that they aren't conflicting?

4) I'm using /bcaa // with RGM and I think it is causing some conflicts. Is there another command that I should be using?

5) Which program works well with bards? I know that CWTN doesn't have a bard plugin yet.

6) I remember creating *.ini files for KA. But I haven't used it past that. I remember that you have to edit the ini or copy one from another player.

7) do they all share most of the same features? camp radius?

8) with CWTN is there a way to stop it from working on a toon? i.e. if I have two healers in the group and I want one on passive to soak up exp without casting. So far I have tried /clr pause on - but that stops working later when I issue a different command like follow me, etc.

6) Does rg/ off turn off the plugin for that toon?

The title says it all. I understand what MQ2 does (I think), from there it gets hazy. I'm using several different "things" and I would like to sort them out. I'm hoping I can ask and get replies without offending anyone...

1) What is the difference between KissAssist, RGMercs, and CWTN plugins? I thought they all worked together, but it appears some shouldn't be used together because they fight for control and give (sometimes) different commands.

2) How would a new user choose between them? i.e. what should a new user know before making the choice.

To be honest, on this one, I chose CWTN because of Sic's videos and how easy it was to get going. I don't regret my purchase - I would do it again, but I would like to know more about the others since I can't use CWTN on every toon (yet). I know that CWTN is basically download, run, and it goes. I like the interface and I'm learning my way through it (to customize).

3) I'm running some CWTN plugins., but, not every toon has them. An example is my mage: so, do I run KA or RGM on the mage and how do I make sure I don't run those when I'm running the CWTN. I know that CWTN shuts down the others on startup, but what if I issue commands to the mage in a fight? How do I make sure that they aren't conflicting?

4) I'm using /bcaa // with RGM and I think it is causing some conflicts. Is there another command that I should be using?

5) Which program works well with bards? I know that CWTN doesn't have a bard plugin yet.

6) I remember creating *.ini files for KA. But I haven't used it past that. I remember that you have to edit the ini or copy one from another player.

7) do they all share most of the same features? camp radius?

8) with CWTN is there a way to stop it from working on a toon? i.e. if I have two healers in the group and I want one on passive to soak up exp without casting. So far I have tried /clr pause on - but that stops working later when I issue a different command like follow me, etc.

6) Does rg/ off turn off the plugin for that toon?

1. you shouldn't try and use multiple things that do the same thing because they will fight. these are all combat/buff/casting/healing automation programs - and since they do the same stuff, they can and will conflict. RGMercs, MuleAssist, and KissAssist are macros - so you can only run 1 of them. CWTN stuff are plugins, so you can run a macro at the same time, but if you were trying to run rgmercs/muleassist/kissassist or other combat/buff/casting/healing/etc automation at the same time you would have conflicting behavior.

2. Its all up to choice. KissAssist/MuleAssist give you much more levels of configuration compared to RGMercs or the CWTN Class Plugins - RGMercs and the CWTN plugins don't require you to setup much to be "doing your job" as i put it. There is a cost for cwtn plugins that the other options don't have.

3. the cwtn plugins don't "shut down" anything other than mq2melee because of the "out of the box" mq2melee setup causes conflicts. Your mage won't be able to use cwtn commands until there isn't a cwtn plugin for mages available. to control that toon you would use whatever commands relate to whatever automation you are using for your mage.

4. /bcaa is eqbc's "Broadcast to everyone on eqbc including myself".

5. MuleAssist, KissAssist, and RGMercs all work just fine for bards. I've done all the last 3 xpacs group progression/mission/contents with kissassist12

6. kiss will auto create an ini which you can go and edit - or you can copy an ini from the library and rename it.

7. each automation suite does things differently. you will want to refer to their settings/information. for cwtn stuff we have all the information in the cwtn section and commands tab/faq/videos

8. if you want to unload a plugin on a character you can /plugin mq2cleric unload noauto the noauto will make it so it doesn't change your default loaded setting in your macroquest2.ini --- follow me and clr pause on also have nothing to do with one another unless you edited your follow me button to unpause for some reason.

6 again? (9?) - not sure what you're asking - the cwtn plugins are the only plugins in this discussion - you would unload them if you wanted them to be unloaded, or pause them if you wanted them to be paused. to pause a macro you would use the /mqp on to turn on /mqp off to turn pausing off or /mqp to toggle the current paused state of the macro. If you are asking if rgmercs turns off plugins - yes they have code if you run rgmercs it will attempt to turn off the cwtn plugins (whether it has one or not) - they do this, again, because they assume "if this user is now starting up rgmercs it is assumed they want to use rgmercs so we're going to disable other stuff that might cause conflicting behavior".

The cwtn plugins aren't for everyone - but if you did want to try them before committing to a purchase, they are free to use on the test server, so you can give them a full investigation with your squad and see if it is something you like.

Last edited:
Thank you! I think I understand better and what I was doing wrong: I was loading RGM after (or while) CWTN was running. Also, it looks like I can unload CWTN on the toons I want to sponge. And, I was using some of the wrong commands.

Sic was very thorough, but some different ways to say it.

all are automation style.

Kiss allows you to really get into the character and setup what its gonna do. To do this, you have to know that character or get a ini from someone that does. (for me the mage and bard i built theirs. then looked at others and tweaked what i built if i found something i liked)

RGmerc is awesome for new people, it has a preset spells for each sets of levels, and will automate wihtout you knowing anything about the class

Muleassist i dont know much about having never used it.

CWTN Plugins - sic and chat are probably tired of me talking about them. When i first started RG i used RG and downloaded kiss files. Sics vids got me to using CWTN plugins. These are great for new and advanced users. Plenty of customizable features, as well as ready to use out of the box plug and playability. Currently i own all CWTN plugins and use them. I also have kiss ini's for some of the toons that have plugins, as i test out different things.

key is to decide how indepth do you want to go? Do you want to learn to write INI's? You want pure and simple plug and play?

Def recomment CWTN plugins for the class's that can use them.
RG for mage/wizard/bards pre 110/melee rangers
Kiss for Paly/bard 110+/bow rangers

oh and use
/bcg (group except the one issuing command)
/bcga (whole group)
/bcaa all toons you ahve logged in and connected to that bcs
/bct to a specific toon. use this to start up rg or kiss if ur running cwtn plugins.
(IE from my tank i have a macro /bct bardname //mac kissassist Assist ${Group.MainTank} 99)
theres another way im certain Sic has it something about
//if (${Me.Class.ShortName.Equal[BRD]}) //mac kissassist Assist ${Group.MainTank] )

Not to confuse anyone anymore, some consideration should be given to which class is using which plugin.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong. My understanding; KissAssist will only share buff information with other toons running kissassist. CWTN plugins use CWTNbuffs to communicate buffs across all your toons. Sooo.. If your Shammy is running MQ2Shaman and your pally is running KissAssist. Your shaman will know when focus fades from the pally but the pally will not know Brielle faded from the shaman.

It’s also important to note if you’re using the /bcaa command is that in order for it execute whatever it is you want it to do that you use double // for the following command. If you use a single / it won’t work.

For example

/bcaa //sit

Will make all your toons sit, and

/bcaa /sit

Won’t do anything.

That may be the reason you are having issues with /bcaa. It caused me a few headaches early on, when I didn’t realise this.

@1Fungame I would suggest starting by using RGMercs, and then migrating off of it for classes that you do not like the way it behaves. (Unless you want to buy the CWTN plugins for all classes).

The learning curve there is much simpler, and all classes work the same.
Then decide which class does not work the way you want it to, and migrate that to something else.

Also you said you were a new player but did not say if all your characters are max level. If you are leveling a boxing group for the first time, definitely use RGMercs.
Changing 6 or 12 kiss configs every 5 levels can get annoying, where as RGMercs will use the new spell once you have memorized it.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong. My understanding; KissAssist will only share buff information with other toons running kissassist. CWTN plugins use CWTNbuffs to communicate buffs across all your toons. Sooo.. If your Shammy is running MQ2Shaman and your pally is running KissAssist. Your shaman will know when focus fades from the pally but the pally will not know Brielle faded from the shaman.

actually, i keep shm on computer with paladin and /plugin mq2cwtnbuffs load on paladin and shm does rebuff him. but im always at keys so i watch for when buffs hit 5mins and typically recast

Question - Please help a new player understand the different combat assistants

Users who are viewing this thread

Back