• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - PC spec help! (1 Viewer)

Itwasthedog

RedCents
267¢
I need a new computer!
I would like to be able to 3 box comfortably without having to turn off a load of options or compromise on graphics quality or get lag!

could anyone tell me if these specs are good enough to do what I want?
A8711D1B-7C6E-4979-BF35-3411CA124BC3.jpeg

I have wire on my existing PC which works great but it seems as my PC gets older it just gets more snarly! Time for a replacement!

A potatoe can run 3 boxes. Think you’re fine with that Spec. MQ2wire is def worth the investment. Pretty sure I recouped the initial cost after the first month for Reducing my electric bill.

You can 3 box on a pocket calculator with mq2eqwire. It's simply not an option, if you're boxing, you need to be running it, it's that good.

My main problem is loading time - I load, it takes forever. If I camped out somewhere awkward I’m dead by the time the screen has loaded and zoning with 3 takes a long time :(

Was going to say, the only thing that EQ needs is RAM - at least 1GB per session + OS overhead.

Everything else is pretty much non issue.

You can 16 box on AMD Phenom II X4 B50 (which is ancient CPU from 2009 - slow 3core unlocked to 4 core) with an ancient Nvidia 730 as long as you got 16GB of RAM.

EDIT: For zoning you might need to check your internet connection as well, zoning to death used to be a problem in 56k modem days :)

Me again!
I remember on my old PC I had to change something in an ini file for cores?
Could someone please give me a reminder?

You need to add -1 for every instance you run in eqclient.ini

CPUAffinity0=-1
CPUAffinity1=-1
CPUAffinity2=-1
CPUAffinity3=-1
CPUAffinity4=-1
CPUAffinity5=-1
CPUAffinity6=-1
CPUAffinity7=-1
CPUAffinity8=-1
CPUAffinity9=-1
CPUAffinity10=-1
CPUAffinity11=-1
CPUAffinity12=-1
CPUAffinity13=-1
CPUAffinity14=-1
CPUAffinity15=-1

There's a thread on it here actually:

CPUAffinity0=-1
CPUAffinity1=-1
CPUAffinity2=-1
CPUAffinity3=-1
CPUAffinity4=-1
CPUAffinity5=-1
CPUAffinity6=-1
CPUAffinity7=-1
CPUAffinity8=-1
CPUAffinity9=-1
CPUAffinity10=-1
CPUAffinity11=-1
CPUAffinity12=-1
CPUAffinity13=-1
CPUAffinity14=-1
CPUAffinity15=-1
100% on doing the cpuaffinity in your eqclient.ini file
you only need an entry for each instance you run of eq -so if you're only using 3, you just need CPUAffinity0, CPUAffinity1, CPUAffinity2 for example

EQwire is a big deal. There are also lots of things you can do to make the game run better, dozens of options in the eqclient.ini file like turning on wireframe models, turning off character armor, disable sound, logging, etc. If you have the characters in your background using those settings it can make a big difference. This guide covers it all although I would recommend not using WinEQ2. I was running 24 clients on my 11 year old CPU.

I did change the ram to
DDR4 8GB 3000MHZ corsair vengeance LPX

and had 2 of them for 16MB total :)

hopefully enough to run 3 :)

CPUAffinity0=-1
CPUAffinity1=-1
CPUAffinity2=-1
CPUAffinity3=-1
CPUAffinity4=-1
CPUAffinity5=-1
CPUAffinity6=-1
CPUAffinity7=-1
CPUAffinity8=-1
CPUAffinity9=-1
CPUAffinity10=-1
CPUAffinity11=-1
CPUAffinity12=-1
CPUAffinity13=-1
CPUAffinity14=-1
CPUAffinity15=-1

Thank you - I remembered there was something but couldn't remember what!

All those specs look fine. Typically the bottle neck for boxing is CPU/Memory.

Each instance of EQ can use anywhere from 150mb to 1.3 gigs of memory depending on your settings and how frequently you zone.

The bottle neck with CPU you can handle with MQ2EQWire and any performance issues you might face with the video card would also be swayed by the same plugin.

However, I realize you only are saying 3 atm. But provided the ability it's fairly normal to upscale your box group to run 6 as that's the good stuff.

1587733189483.png
Rows are CPU/Memory/Disk/Network/GPU/GPU Engine/Power Usage/Power usage trend

I'm running an i9-9900k processor, 32 gigs of DDR4 at 2666? on a 1tb NVMe SSD with an RTX 2070

the last instance of EQ is right at 4% cpu and 12% GPU. That's the foreground instance of EQ that isn't running MQ2EQwire
The 0.4-0.6% CPU and only 1.7% to 1.8% gpu is the ones using MQ2EQWire

As you can see, if you supplement your hardware with good software, you can get more out of less.

With that said, based on the specs I saw the system should be more than adequate for EQ 3 boxing.

Each instance of EQ can use anywhere from 150mb to 1.3 gigs of memory depending on your settings and how frequently you zone.

The bottle neck with CPU you can handle with MQ2EQWire and any performance issues you might face with the video card would also be swayed by the same plugin.

However, I realize you only are saying 3 atm. But provided the ability it's fairly normal to upscale your box group to run 6 as that's the good stuff.

View attachment 21153

I'm running an i9-9900k processor, 32 gigs of DDR4 at 2666? on a 1tb NVMe SSD with an RTX 2070

the last instance of EQ is right at 4% cpu and 12% GPU. That's the foreground instance of EQ that isn't running MQ2EQwire

As you can see, if you supplement your hardware with good software, you can get more out of less.

With that said, based on the specs I saw the system should be more than adequate for EQ 3 boxing.

I have pretty much identical specs, i9, 32gb ddr4, 970 evo plus ssd but my instances are using 1gb or more. I'd be interested how you get them down to 500MB.

View attachment 21153

Already have EQwire :)

Yeah they start higher and then go down in time. Windows 10 does something to reduce the memory of them over time. There was a program I used to use that did it on Win7 but I think Win10 does it better.

OK thanks guys. just booted my dream team up. WIll monitor the ram usage in a while, they won't be zoning.

im stuck again!
Anyone know how I copy my UI and hotbutton files etc to my new computer so I don't have to set them all up again?

In your EQ Directory, find UI_CharName_Server.ini and copy all those files over.

Should be able to search UI_ in the EQ directory to get a list of all of those files quickly.

im stuck again!
Anyone know how I copy my UI and hotbutton files etc to my new computer so I don't have to set them all up again?

As well as the UI_name_server.ini files, you also want to copy the name_server.ini files. That one has all your socials, hotkeys, blocked buffs etc.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your help and advice...just a bit of fine tuning to do but I have just spent the last couple of hours having great fun!

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your help and advice...just a bit of fine tuning to do but I have just spent the last couple of hours having great fun!
hell yeah dude, new pc stuff is always awesome - its like new socks/undies

It's weird how much money I spend buying the latest 8 core 16 thread CPU, tons of ram, rapid SSD etc just to play a 20 year old game using stick figures.

Well my toons have been in the same zone for 12 hours and still using over a gig an instance more or less. Is this normal? I'm using mq2eqwire but maybe I need to tweak something somewhere.

Capture.PNG

You still have pretty good overhead on your ram. You don’t want windows to start committing to virtual memory. Eventually the page fault will get pretty bad to a point that you’ll start to see noticeable stutter.

You still have pretty good overhead on your ram. You don’t want windows to start committing to virtual memory. Eventually the page fault will get pretty bad to a point that you’ll start to see noticeable stutter.

What is causing this stutter....i see it on a lot of toons after running EQ for many hours.....after reboot its over

Question - PC spec help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back