• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Software PC cleanup (1 Viewer)

RedCents
83¢
Anyone have any fairly easy tips/tools to clean up my PC?

I’m not home so I can’t give specific specs but lest say it’s pretty old. The graphics card is at least 15 years old (GeForce ####GT). Intel celeron quad core 2.7ghz? 16gigs ram. 500gig HD. Windows 10.

Anyway over the years it’s gotten bloated with crap my wife and kids have installed. It’s so freaking slow with everyday tasks I can get rid some of the easy programs but I want all the bloat out. I’m not interested in switching to a different OS because it needs to be simple for the wife and kids to use from time to time. I read about different purchaseble programs that can speed up the PC. Are these any good? Any knowledge would be cool.

thanks,

I'd take the path of least resistance on this one. Grab a USB stick, transfer whatever you care about onto it. Then just do a fresh install of Win10.

You got to figure over the years the wife/kids have gotten tons of sticky malware, bug-ridden adware programs, and maybe a good o'l virus or two. Save yourself the 3 day hassle trying to clean it and nuke it instead. :)

Optional quick method displayed as well.. (Pro-tip.. don't do it :) )computer-washing-1555957365-cover-original.jpg

use the disk cleanup program within windows. ccleaner for registry, if you are on spindle drives defrag, and schedule defrags to run when the pc isn't being used. IF the drives are SATA, you could also get a SSD, and mirror from the spindle to SSD to help w/ the speed. Other than that, I'm sure there are other suggestions/programs that you can use.

Anyone have any fairly easy tips/tools to clean up my PC?

I’m not home so I can’t give specific specs but lest say it’s pretty old. The graphics card is at least 15 years old (GeForce ####GT). Intel celeron quad core 2.7ghz? 16gigs ram. 500gig HD. Windows 10.

Anyway over the years it’s gotten bloated with crap my wife and kids have installed. It’s so freaking slow with everyday tasks I can get rid some of the easy programs but I want all the bloat out. I’m not interested in switching to a different OS because it needs to be simple for the wife and kids to use from time to time. I read about different purchaseble programs that can speed up the PC. Are these any good? Any knowledge would be cool.

thanks,
could try the reset this PC in win10? complete wipe or reinstall win10 and keeping all your settings/files

Windows-10-Recovery-Refresh.png

I'd take the path of least resistance on this one. Grab a USB stick, transfer whatever you care about onto it. Then just do a fresh install of Win10.

You got to figure over the years the wife/kids have gotten tons of sticky malware, bug-ridden adware programs, and maybe a good o'l virus or two. Save yourself the 3 day hassle trying to clean it and nuke it instead. :)

Optional quick method displayed as well.. (Pro-tip.. don't do it :) )View attachment 31338
Lol that made me laugh. I was trying to avoid a clean install but it might eventually come to that. Thanks

use the disk cleanup program within windows. ccleaner for registry, if you are on spindle drives defrag, and schedule defrags to run when the pc isn't being used. IF the drives are SATA, you could also get a SSD, and mirror from the spindle to SSD to help w/ the speed. Other than that, I'm sure there are other suggestions/programs that you can use.
Defrags I’ve done over time. I suppose I could do another after I get rid of a bunch of the crap on it. Thanks,

You might want to get a few USB thumb drives and transfer the wife and kids stuff to them. This lets them keep the stuff they want and its off the main hd. Then either do a reinstall of windows 10 or use the uninstall programs feature in windows to get rid of stuff you don't want. Once that is done scan for viruses and malware. Last is to update your programs.

Do what Robban said. You will be supprised by the speed increase after a fresh install. It will be like a new machine. I would suggest getting a flash drive or external drive and copying yiur EQ folder and anything else your wanting to save. Then fire off a clean install of windows from inside windows settings. I’ve done it a few times and it works wonders. Install what you want back and you’re off to the races.
Just incase I’d download the network and video card drives to the external flash drive before hand. Then update windows as soon as it’s back up and running.

Software PC cleanup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back