• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Other Game to Play? (1 Viewer)

Have tried so many and I always come back to Everquest. Nothing will compare to the the broken pathing, nostalgia having, game we all love.

If you can get past the cost, I had a lot of fun in New World. The game falls flat on its face at max level, but I definitely had a couple of hundred hours of fun playing with friends. I uninstalled it a month or so ago and it was worth the price of admission for me, but it's not for everyone.

FFXIV is pretty great, I'm pretty sure they stopped selling it due to server overload, it has become insanely popular. If you were lucky enough to have bought it a couple of years ago and can still log in after the 4500 or so people in queues, I would encourage anyone to give it a legit shot, the story has gotten really great and the events are fun as hell.

I would definitely say give ffXIV a try, not sure if they still have it or not but you used to be able to play for free the first 20 levels. I played it for awhile and really enjoyed it, the story quests are a lot of fun

Exercise Spinning GIF

there's always this at the gym...

Almost 21 years of playing EQ, i have make 2 pauses but never really stopped. I have try 34 other MMORPG, including a Beta in Korean, i ever come back to EQ. Younger games have better look, but they are "empty" of background, or after 1-2 month, you have nothing to do or you do the same things again and again. So some years agro, i have decided to STAY in EQ.

New World is a pretty decent MMO, and if you can get into the large scale, team based, faction based PvP/RvR endgame, so much the better. Personally, I love games that allow players to fight for control of territory in the game. So NW def scratches that itch for me.

I'll always play EQ, going on 21 years now, even long after it is sunset I'll still be playing my emulator because I've designed so much unique content for it since 2014. Some other games I do find entertaining that have staying power (not the 50-hour romp then uninstall type as mentioned above). All of the following are one-time purchases and you own the game forever.

Path of Exile (PoE) with its extensive point tree gives you near infinite variety to try out odd builds much in the same manner EQ let's you beat an encounter with near infinite ways because of the high number of class combinations. If you are the TLP-loving player unlike me, they do new leagues all the time.

Out of the Park (OOTP) baseball simulator. If you like the idea of running your own league, team, or playing a realistic season, this game does not disappoint.

7 Days to Die (7dtd) survival crafting game. Making custom mods, playing mods created by the community, turning off zombies altogether to play architect, all seem like new gaming experiences each time.

I'll always play EQ, going on 21 years now, even long after it is sunset I'll still be playing my emulator because I've designed so much unique content for it since 2014. Some other games I do find entertaining that have staying power (not the 50-hour romp then uninstall type as mentioned above). All of the following are one-time purchases and you own the game forever.

Path of Exile (PoE) with its extensive point tree gives you near infinite variety to try out odd builds much in the same manner EQ let's you beat an encounter with near infinite ways because of the high number of class combinations. If you are the TLP-loving player unlike me, they do new leagues all the time.

Out of the Park (OOTP) baseball simulator. If you like the idea of running your own league, team, or playing a realistic season, this game does not disappoint.

7 Days to Die (7dtd) survival crafting game. Making custom mods, playing mods created by the community, turning off zombies altogether to play architect, all seem like new gaming experiences each time.
I'd +1 for Path of Exile. Excellent game, despite the mixed input you may get on YouTube regarding league mechanics. New league for PoE is being announced tomorrow actually, with a release next week. So it's a great time to start fresh. Build diversity in PoE isn't as insane as the combinations would suggest, plenty of builds just don't feel satisfying due to balance, but the meta shifts league to league which adds a lot of variety.

Yes, there are clearly preferred builds that work well and you can easily find those and follow or modify suggestions from the website. However, I like finding my own talent specs that work with often odd or unique items. For me, it is not about map clearing speed, or reaching max (near max) level anymore; been there, done that. Making builds that are sustainable and survivable or with quirks is fun in PoE. This is the main reason I don't worry about new leagues, but play on the main league where I have virtually unlimited currency items and unique items can be found rather inexpensively to try out new talent trees. The only downside is inventory space with the base game. It is advisable to purchase the expanded slots when those go on sale in the marketplace.

I like baldur gate type games where can create a team. Right now playing baldurs gate 3 and pathfinder wrath of the righteous. I know they are not mmos.
I just started playing Solasta Crown of the Magister and I'm enjoying it. Create a team of 4 and its turn based. It also seems other people can create dungeons and adventures and you can run through there's, sorta like Neverwinter Nights.

Lost Ark coming to EU/Americas 11 feb.

I really recommend it if you want a next gen mmo. It's a mix of FF14, WoW, Path of Exile, Diablo.

It's free, and it has been in development in Korea/Rusia for like... 4 years already? That's an advantage but also a disadvantage... because the game will release with a LOT of content but also means it's fucking ultra polished. Apparently, the monetization of the game involves QoL features.

I haven't played it besides some grinding on beta. Maybe someone there with experience in the Korean servers and high end can tell us how the small-scale raiding is and how much Pay to win it is?

I played FFIVX on the PS4 for a while. It might have been the free trial version but i do not recall. I remember at one point thinking it was quite possibly the best mmorpg I’d ever played. Then the wife eventually wanted the tv back though so that ended that hah!

there’s a game called Gemstone IV https://www.play.net/gs4/ that I loved when I was younger and went back to a few times throughout the years. It’s text based but the RP is fantastic. It’s been around for about 30 years I think.

Lost Ark coming to EU/Americas 11 feb.

I really recommend it if you want a next gen mmo. It's a mix of FF14, WoW, Path of Exile, Diablo.

It's free, and it has been in development in Korea/Rusia for like... 4 years already? That's an advantage but also a disadvantage... because the game will release with a LOT of content but also means it's fucking ultra polished. Apparently, the monetization of the game involves QoL features.

I haven't played it besides some grinding on beta. Maybe someone there with experience in the Korean servers and high end can tell us how the small-scale raiding is and how much Pay to win it is?
Was looking at Lost Ark on Steam the other day, it is in pre-order for like ~20 bucks no not free at least here at US

But hearing that it was a pretty decent game may end up picking it up once it drops.

Was looking at Lost Ark on Steam the other day, it is in pre-order for like ~20 bucks no not free at least here at US

But hearing that it was a pretty decent game may end up picking it up once it drops.

Says Free to Play on its website :)

Cool deal will defiantly grab it up for free was like 20 bucks on steam from what I remember

1643416629244.png
Looks, like they only selling Founder's Packs on Steam (was off on the price however lol)

Last edited:
Not an MMO but the new PoE expansion is about to drop in 4 days, and they made some serious QOL changes to the game. There's literally never been a better time to check this game out.

The game is also 100% free, paid for by cosmetics. There are a few things worth paying $ for however, such as bank tabs etc, I'd say about $20 of it is worthy of consideration.

Only game to ever make my hands sweat has been EVE Online.like EQ, another old game, complex and one you need to take a break from and go back because of the time investment and pull of old friends.

Lost Ark is the next big MMO. And yes it is free, you just are seeing founders packs for sale. Founders packs give the equivalent of EQ familiars/mounts/daybreak cash, plus let you log in on the 8th instead of the 11th. All of the stuff in the packs except for the title (statless) and login screen background are tradable, so you aren't missing out if you don't buy them.

It's already the #1 MMO in korea and continues to get more and more players there, even after already being released for years. The "global" version of the game is being published by Amazon, and it will have a massive amount of advertising.

If you're down on the suspension truck, you can check out "Genshin Impact". It's not an "MMO" but its got tons of content and it's free while you wait. Good story, has some co-op features (after you get to adventure rank 16 or so) and good to pass the time. Just don't get sucked into paying money for their "wishes"

I'll be giving Lost Ark a try but I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't last for me.

Update: I was correct.

Last edited:
Question - Other Game to Play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back