• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Strategy - Non MQ related but eq tank related (1 Viewer)

Interesting one for you, i read the google search's and alot of diferent oponions

Sk tank

Heroic Sta or Dex?
Im Dex to 2400Heroic and the rest is STA. If you raid STA the way to go at least for me.
I will add this one thing I have both full STA and full DEX type 5s and I have lived raiding with both. If I am tanking the STA has done a little better raiding but the DEX does help with self heals.

Last edited:
SK = HDEX
War = Depends on your play preference I went Hsta on one and Hdex on another war and the Hsta one in mirror gear has performed/survived much better on heavy trainage situations/raids.

Pal = go back to log-in screen...delete...re-roll...lol

Knight Keto Diet GIF by Keto Chow

In my humble opinion;

Raider = Sta
Mainly Grp play = Dex

The advantage in stamina is not just total HP but you get higher % melee shielding.
This is the way. IIRC the math comes down to raid mobs having 100% strikethrough (nixing hAgi), so you need that extra hp to cushion rather than the hDex to crit taps and stuff

edit: sorry, the strikethrough nixes any defensives like riposte or dodge, not hAgi. hAgi is ok, just gets parsed out as minimal gains outside of shield slot I think

hDex for grouping, hands down

There's arguments for Sta for raiding, though the additional mitigation is barely parsable tbh, you might gain 20khp (meh) ... whereas the dps gain from dex you don't even need to parse to tell the difference.

Apparently tanks are finding benefits in agi once again in ToL raids, but that's hearsay

Dex for all tanks. Difference between full dex and full sta is what 20k hp ? do you really think 20k hp is going to save you ?
I think that's the wrong question to ask actually, it's your cleric's job to save you really...all you're doing is delaying your death ever so slightly so they can keep ya up. The correct argument isn't so much about wether the tank should go HDex/HSta is what the cleric needs to be doing to keep you up regardless of your shitty tankage stats...

I dunno...maybe I'm overthinking it...lol worry more about your healer...that's the only thing really keeping you alive...the hdex/hsta is just delaying your death ever so slightly...without a good healer you will die on a raid boss...

Tank Job...stay vertical so you can get...
tom hiddleston face GIF

Healer job...keep said punching bag vertical as long as possible

Jesus Christ GIF

You could do half measures like myself and do hStam on vendor bought type 5s, Mixing Lore HAgi, HDex, HStam. Then Priortise HDex>AC>HStam>HAgi for type 7/8. Then again I'm often MT for raids so there is that.

IMO, neither stat is going to make a consequential difference. Everyone has their opinion, but when you actually look at the data, the difference between one or the other is so minor that I don't see why we argue over it other than the fact that we're gamerz on teh interwebs and arguing over dumb shit is kinda our thing. Like william12 points out, full hSta is roughly 20k hp, when mobs are hitting for over 100k in a single combat round. Conversely, full hDex is only a minimal dps increase and hAgi is only a small AC increase and worthless at increasing dodge vs raid mobs (see 100% strikethrough). The only exception, as I see it, is for shadow knights because hDex synergizes with life taps. EQ stats and gear have been so streamlined and sanitized of any actual variety that building for some specific advantage or situation is simply not a part of the game anymore.

As long as you're upgrading gear to the best tier you have available to you and getting the best augs for your level and current expansion, I don't see any real way to gimp your character nor make your character demonstrably superior. The rest is E-peen, magelo stacking buffoonery.

IMO, neither stat is going to make a consequential difference. Everyone has their opinion, but when you actually look at the data, the difference between one or the other is so minor that I don't see why we argue over it other than the fact that we're gamerz on teh interwebs and arguing over dumb shit is kinda our thing. Like william12 points out, full hSta is roughly 20k hp, when mobs are hitting for over 100k in a single combat round. Conversely, full hDex is only a minimal dps increase and hAgi is only a small AC increase and worthless at increasing dodge vs raid mobs (see 100% strikethrough). The only exception, as I see it, is for shadow knights because hDex synergizes with life taps. EQ stats and gear have been so streamlined and sanitized of any actual variety that building for some specific advantage or situation is simply not a part of the game anymore.

As long as you're upgrading gear to the best tier you have available to you and getting the best augs for your level and current expansion, I don't see any real way to gimp your character nor make your character demonstrably superior. The rest is E-peen, magelo stacking buffoonery.
According to @Sic it's a game of inches...hmmm...lol

eric cartman school GIF by South Park

Har! Been looking for an opportunity to turn that into a joke for foreeeeevah...

As I posted before I have run with all STA and all DEX and a mix of both and can survive with any and all combinations but for me the extra STA HP bonus no matter how small helps. I'm inline with what an_image wrote. If you know the healing you are going to get, you might as well help them no matter how small it is for this game of inches we all play. If I am the main tank, I know I'm going to be on the hot list of heals. If I am off tanking something, I know I might have to help keep myself up and rely on AE Heals. In both situations I'm liking the extra 20K+- HP. My self taps are what they are but will only keep me standing a little while if my healers aren't able to heal me.

Strategy - Non MQ related but eq tank related

Users who are viewing this thread

Back