• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - New changes to Pick Zones on Test (1 Viewer)

Darkmax

RedCents
1,239¢
This is from the latest test patch notes:

The number of players needed to spin up new pickzones has been lowered. Additionally, when a pickzone has less than 10 players in it, it may lock. Players will be alerted when a pickzone locks and will have 15 minutes to leave the zone before it closes. If players do not leave, they will get ported to the main zone after the time expires.

Looks like Daybreak really wants to make sure that one group will not be holding open a pick zone. Would guess this will probably go live with next patch.

Someone needs to find out the exact number. Also, might be time to run 2 full groups.

The problem with two full groups is that then it is just an open zone that people can come in and spot you within, whereas with the current you are locked away privately I am pretty sure.

The problem with two full groups is that then it is just an open zone that people can come in and spot you within, whereas with the current you are locked away privately I am pretty sure.

You're only locked away until the next time the parent zone has enough players to open a pick zone.

Also, this essentially is the same as it was the /pick zone changes, except for the minimum number. To be fair, we whined fairly hard about the changes to /pick zones, and this is essentially neutering the original effort, so we should all be happy about this. Almost all of us are capable of running two full groups, so go to it and get your zone that people CAN zone into, but are less likely to if the parent zone isn't crushed.

Is the current rule that you can stay in a locked pick until you die/zone? That's my experience, anyways. So I guess now we'll need to have enough groups to keep the pick up before it closes and just ports you automatically. Am I understanding this correctly?

Is the current rule that you can stay in a locked pick until you die/zone? That's my experience, anyways. So I guess now we'll need to have enough groups to keep the pick up before it closes and just ports you automatically. Am I understanding this correctly?

That is my understanding as well

10 people in the zone is pretty easy to accomplish. Many here are running enough accounts to do that.

10 people in the zone is pretty easy to accomplish. Many here are running enough accounts to do that.

Yea, time for me to add some more F2P accounts, but I gotta get my core 6 geared up and max AA'd first.

Yea, time for me to add some more F2P accounts, but I gotta get my core 6 geared up and max AA'd first.

Only zones this would be relevant in on Live is EoK zones (imo). No F2P options on EoK, unfortunately. Need to at least add EoK expansion.

Only zones this would be relevant in on Live is EoK zones (imo). No F2P options on EoK, unfortunately. Need to at least add EoK expansion.

Yea, I would have to add the expansion but I wouldn't keep them gold other than a month to get AA's. I hope they keep this option going forward; it's a good system with the picks.

Where did you see the 10 player to keep zone open comment?

The patch notes on EQ forums just say :

- The number of characters necessary to trigger a new load balanced zone (pickzone) has been adjusted to better reflect the amount of combatable population in each zone. In the vast majority of cases, the threshold has been lowered, meaning it will be easier to trigger the new pickzone, requiring fewer characters in a zone to do so, than before the update.
- Additionally, when a pickzone's population drops below the threshold, it may lock. Players will be alerted when a pickzone locks and will have 15 minutes to leave the zone before it closes. If players do not leave, they will get ported to the main zone after the time expires.

This is from the latest test patch notes:

Looks like Daybreak really wants to make sure that one group will not be holding open a pick zone. Would guess this will probably go live with next patch.

Interesting that this patch update appears to explicitly say 10, but the other one quoted removes that exact number reference. Maybe this is their way of obfuscating exactly how many people are required to maintain a pick.

Interesting that this patch update appears to explicitly say 10, but the other one quoted removes that exact number reference. Maybe this is their way of obfuscating exactly how many people are required to maintain a pick.

Daybreak is fake news

News - New changes to Pick Zones on Test

Users who are viewing this thread

Back