• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - New Box Group (1 Viewer)

Nihkasilma

RedCents
2,151¢
Good Evening all,

I last played eq in 2002 and returned in June this year!

I cant get a group but wish to remain playing and as such heard about this software and have some questions if I could please ask the community?

A) I've watched the installation guide and when I click download launcher, there is no download button as appears in the video, do I need to be level 2?

B) if so, does every toon (say 6) need to be level 2 with Redguides?

C) Do you need to create 6 different email addresses to have 6 characters like the old days? I was thinking SK, cleric and 3 x beserkers and 1 x beastlord/shaman

D) I'm a bit overawed with the management of the system, is there a "simple" click + run option to get it all up and running while I get used to it?

E) spells/discs/character admin: this I forsee being difficult running each toon to get the spells and altering the healing spell in the ini file I think. zerkers use alot of axes I believe do I have to manually create these each day/time I use them?

F) I saw a thread mentioning RGmercs for spells etc but I couldn't read the thread as not level 2.

This is all I can currently think of, I know roughly how to play the game but the individual admin and discs worry me. I've seen other ini files, but are these a paid for add on?

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Yours,

Rygmon

I've watched the video on how to

Good Evening all,

I last played eq in 2002 and returned in June this year!

I cant get a group but wish to remain playing and as such heard about this software and have some questions if I could please ask the community?

A) I've watched the installation guide and when I click download launcher, there is no download button as appears in the video, do I need to be level 2?

B) if so, does every toon (say 6) need to be level 2 with Redguides?

C) Do you need to create 6 different email addresses to have 6 characters like the old days? I was thinking SK, cleric and 3 x beserkers and 1 x beastlord/shaman

D) I'm a bit overawed with the management of the system, is there a "simple" click + run option to get it all up and running while I get used to it?

E) spells/discs/character admin: this I forsee being difficult running each toon to get the spells and altering the healing spell in the ini file I think. zerkers use alot of axes I believe do I have to manually create these each day/time I use them?

F) I saw a thread mentioning RGmercs for spells etc but I couldn't read the thread as not level 2.

This is all I can currently think of, I know roughly how to play the game but the individual admin and discs worry me. I've seen other ini files, but are these a paid for add on?

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Yours,

Rygmon

I've watched the video on how to
Welcome to redguides!

a. yup need lvl 2
b. your RG lvl 2 is for *you* regardless of how many toons you need
c. you can use the same e-mail for multiple accounts, but dbg does have a limit you can make per day
d. the starter videos should help you get started > here <
e. depending on the automation, you may need to adjust your "ini" when you want to use different abilities, things like rgmercs or the cwtn plugins do this for you.
f. yup, rgmercs is an automation macro suite that handles a lot of stuff "out of the box" for you

@Rygmon welcome back to EQ. I’ve returned as well, about a month before you!

In my opinion, keep things simple. I set up 6 EQ accounts and formed a team of tank, healer, cc and dps. The important things is play a team you will enjoy and have fun with. A subscription to Red Guides is imo cheap, at less than the cost of a months play on an EQ account. You just need that initially as the EQ accounts are all free to play 😁

There are a lot of great options at red guides. I had some previous experience with mq2 and ini files, but chose to start with RGMercs as it is plug and play and gets you started quickly. But try different options and especially use tutorial ma rose to help with Gloomingdeep and the pok tutorial. Would Also highly recommend the AllSpell Macro to help keep characters up with current spells as you level.

Read the forums, enjoy making mistakes and relearning EQ. Enjoy 😊 and don’t put too much pressure on trying to level fast and having the best equipment. It will come, but remember why you enjoyed EQ, remember playing with people and rekindle friendships or forge new ones.

This is a great community and there is always someone willing to help.

Thanks all. I've committed and made my SK, Cleric, Rogue, 2x zerk and bard i went for in the end.

I'm impressed but there's a few teething issues I've come across- one of my zerkers is permanently about 20m away from the pack and responds slowly. He then struggles to get into attack, then randomly, some of the squad seem to just stop doing anything, my cleric just watched me die despite healing me in the previous fight.

Bit odd? I used the ini files readily available for level 1 characters and it seemed to be going so well !

Edit* By saying struggling to get into attack I mean he seems to be constantly running at the mob and unless it has largeish hp doesn't land a blow.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I've committed and made my SK, Cleric, Rogue, 2x zerk and bard i went for in the end.

I'm impressed but there's a few teething issues I've come across- one of my zerkers is permanently about 20m away from the pack and responds slowly. He then struggles to get into attack, then randomly, some of the squad seem to just stop doing anything, my cleric just watched me die despite healing me in the previous fight.

Bit odd? I used the ini files readily available for level 1 characters and it seemed to be going so well !

Edit* By saying struggling to get into attack I mean he seems to be constantly running at the mob and unless it has largeish hp doesn't land a blow.
would definitely double check in your eq settings (alt-O) that you don't have your max background fps set to "min"

would definitely double check in your eq settings (alt-O) that you don't have your max background fps set to "min"
Good morning and thank you for responding again!

I've just turned all characters background fps to 35 and one zerker remains distant from the group and not really getting involved, almost like there's a delay.

All the others appear to be acting as they should!

Regards,

Rygmon

- if I videoed what was happening on my phone could I unlink the video to here via attach files ?

Last edited:
Still progressing and have decided to leave the rogue zerker every now and then, he seems to pull mobs in occasionally with his venturing.

I've now reached level 15 ish with the group, not bad considering most of them have no gear/dropped gear.

I've searched for updated in files for the group and as an example, have come across these:

Bard: https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/lvl-15-brd-ini-w-o-conditions.1541/

Cleric: https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/lvl-15-cle-ini-w-conditions-for-ka11.926/

What I thought these files would do is load the spells into the appropriate spell slot, is that incorrect and remains a manual process? I know if I want to tweak the buffs/songs I have to do it, but thought this might take the legwork out of loading each character.

Thanks in advance.

I would first look over the KissAssist InI manual and try to understand the different sections and how to set them up. Yes if you have the spells set up in you InI file for the character. Exp:
SpellSetNameKissAssistThe name of the pre-saved spell set you want to use for kiss.
LoadSpellSet00/1/20=Off/1=Loads SpellSetName/2=Loads Spells from the [Spells] in the ini file. If you have no [Spells] section defined and are using option 2 for LoadSpellSet, a default [Spells] section is created. See Misc section for more information on how to set up [Spells].

So in your InI file you would (in the section of Spells) have the loadSpellSet=2 and then make a section called [Spells] at the end of the file. Cut and past the gem slots to this new section. In the spell gems add the spells you want to use.

[MySpells] <---------------------------The name I use for spellsetname.
Gem1=Earthen Shackles <------------this is where you put your spells for the caster character (any toon that cast spells)
Gem2=NULL
Gem3=NULL
Gem4=NULL
Gem5=NULL
Gem6=NULL
Gem7=NULL
Gem8=NULL
Gem9=NULL
Gem10=NULL
Gem11=NULL
Gem12=NULL
Gem13=NULL

You can look at the KissAssist INI library and see what others have set up their INI files. You can cut and past the sections that you want to use or you can make your own and adjust it to your play stile.

Hope this helps
Zeb

Question - New Box Group

Users who are viewing this thread

Back