• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
Resource icon

Plugin - MQ2MeshManager (1 Viewer) 2.2

RedCents
11,758¢
wired420 submitted a new resource:

MQ2MeshManager - Manage MQ2Nav mesh update in game! Finally!

MQ2MeshManager does exactly what it says in its name. Manage your meshes. MQ2MeshManager interfaces with https://mqmesh.com to keep your meshes up to date. Walked into a zone you don't have a mesh for? It'll grab one. Want it to check for new meshes at login? It can do that! Hasher and Downloader are threaded. Means you can keep playing while everything happens in the background without blocking your client (no lag).

Read more about this resource...

Update pushed to repo with /mesh ignore <add/del/list> [zone shortname] added. Will add/del the zone youre in or the zone you specify by shortname to a list that will keep the updater from overwriting that mesh. Even if you do a overwrite all.

Doing a code clean up, and looking into file locking to keep boxers from doing anything that'll crash themselves. That should be ready by morning.

Update pushed to repo with /mesh ignore <add/del/list> [zone shortname] added. Will add/del the zone youre in or the zone you specify by shortname to a list that will keep the updater from overwriting that mesh. Even if you do a overwrite all.

Doing a code clean up, and looking into file locking to keep boxers from doing anything that'll crash themselves. That should be ready by morning.
Hi, thanks for this great plugin. I loaded in one toon and followed the directions up to the updatedb step. I got the "Plugin Activated!" response. After typing /mesh updatedb, the client crashed, and I believe I hit "Retry" here. On later attempts I did "Cancel" and got the crash dump notification.

Unloaded/reloaded MQ, load in toon, client crash. Unloaded MQ, log in toon without MQ, all seems well. If I load MQ after the toon is in game, crash. One toon on another account, same behavior.

I understand that crash dumps are auto-sent to RG devs, is that so? If not, and if they are needed, let me know and I'll get them to whoever.

I'm not going to try to delete anything yet. I see 3 files in C:\MacroQuest\resources\MQ2MeshManager, a 1kb server_toonname.json, an empty confirmed.txt, and an empty meshdb.json.

I understand that crash dumps are auto-sent to RG devs, is that so? If not, and if they are needed, let me know and I'll get them to whoever.

They are, but in general we don't look at them except for high frequency issues. To look into this we'll need the crash id (it shows up in the dialog that appears)

Hi, thanks for this great plugin. I loaded in one toon and followed the directions up to the updatedb step. I got the "Plugin Activated!" response. After typing /mesh updatedb, the client crashed, and I believe I hit "Retry" here. On later attempts I did "Cancel" and got the crash dump notification.

Unloaded/reloaded MQ, load in toon, client crash. Unloaded MQ, log in toon without MQ, all seems well. If I load MQ after the toon is in game, crash. One toon on another account, same behavior.

I'm not going to try to delete anything yet. I see 3 files in C:\MacroQuest\resources\MQ2MeshManager, a 1kb server_toonname.json, an empty confirmed.txt, and an empty meshdb.json.
same effect for the char I activated it. Typing /mesh updatedb crashed the client. Did not launch anymore with mq active.

Went to config/MacroQuest.ini and modified "MQ2MeshManager=1" to "MQ2MeshManager=0".
After disabeling the plugin that way, I could launch the char as normal.

Last edited:
> MeshDatabase = json::parse(jFile);

crash is happening here because of missing error handling. the meshdb.json file is not valid.
@wired420 you probably wanna fix that

deleting the meshdb.json might make it work again?

1675885533673.png
seems an empty file was created, which, attempting to parse it ,causes the error

Server_charname.json contains:
json:
{"Settings":{"AutoUpdate":false,"DownloadMissing":false,"MaxDownloads":4,"MaxHashes":4,"ProgressMeter":1,"ThreadSafety":true}}
if that may help

Fix for this bug has been pushed to the repo. When ever @Redbot does another build it'll be fixed. If you're winding up with an empty meshdb.json though something is blocking your connection to mqmesh.com.
Sorry. Was sick and asleep when bug report came in or I'd have gotten to it faster.

Fix for this bug has been pushed to the repo. When ever @Redbot does another build it'll be fixed. If you're winding up with an empty meshdb.json though something is blocking your connection to mqmesh.com.
Sorry. Was sick and asleep when bug report came in or I'd have gotten to it faster.
Noone is expecting that bugs are fixed immediately, atleast I hope so ;) This is a very new plugin. It will be a great one, once all is ironed out. When you are amogst the first using a new tool, you should be prepared that there will be some hickups at start.
For my part I can say: I am happy that you and the other developer putting so much effort into the improvement of the game we all love to play.

As an empty meshdb.json indicates that something blockes the connection to mqm,esh.com, is there anything a user can do, to check this connection? Would a succesful ping to mqmesh.com provide any useful information?
1675940547514.png

Noone is expecting that bugs are fixed immediately, atleast I hope so ;) This is a very new plugin. It will be a great one, once all is ironed out. When you are amogst the first using a new tool, you should be prepared that there will be some hickups at start.
For my part I can say: I am happy that you and the other developer putting so much effort into the improvement of the game we all love to play.

As an empty meshdb.json indicates that something blockes the connection to mqm,esh.com, is there anything a user can do, to check this connection? Would a succesful ping to mqmesh.com provide any useful information?
View attachment 45997
If I had to guess it was either something temporary or a firewall. I'm not aware that my host has had any problems, but that doesn't mean they haven't. In most cases it'll be a firewall or some antivirus not letting it through until it's done examining the exe/dll since it has a downloader in it.

I have a pihole running, but as the ping with clearname "mqmesh.com" works fine, there shouldn't be any issues with it, as it does its magic at DNS-level.
So deleting the empty meshdb.json I should be good to retry?

Last edited:
Deleted meshdb.json and started plugin:
1675972348473.png
plugin started without error.
Attempting: /mesh updatedb:
1675972478022.png
deleting db and retrying produced same error.

Is there anything I can do to help to narrow down the issue?

Addendum: Searching the web I found:
potential reason for SSL connect error:
This error can appear for a couple of reasons such as:
    Having a browser problem
    An antivirus program or firewall might block access to a website
    The date and time of the computer trying to access the website is incorrect
    Having an untrusted SSL certificate
    The website might contain insecure information
    The SSL certificate might have wrong information

- Checked the time sync settings on my system. Automatic timesync is active, it showed a sucessful sync just a couple of ours ago.
- No specific antivirus or antimalware is installed, just the standard windows security is active
- No specific firewall installed, just a standard "AVM Fritzbox" as router, one of the most common router in central europe I guess.

Brwosing with firefox to https://mqmesh.com seems ok:
1675974260971.png
So atleast a normal connection via browser works fine.

Last edited:
I run all windows updates whenever they are available and I am aware of them. While writing this, I checked my updates and found one, not yet installed: kumulative Update 2023-01 KB5022360
Will report back tomorrow, after installation of updates and retrying the plugin. For today, my eq-sessions are done.

curiosity was bigger than urge to rest:
did all available updates including optional ones with nmo sucess.
Error message remained exact the same after deleting meshdb.json and issuing /mesh updatedb

It IS possible that if you live in one of those countries that blocks internet sites that some middleware is messing with the connection. I did upgrade it to TLS 1.2/1.3 a while back which is very picky, but it should fall back to TLS 1.1 or 1.0. I've also seen an ISP report the wrong time to a cable modem when uploading its boot file. Rebooting your cable modem (Leave it off for at least 30 seconds so it needs a new boot file) MAY help. I'll also activate logging on SSL here in a min. Hopefully I can see something on my end next time you or someone hits it having this issue.

Deleted meshdb.json and started plugin:
View attachment 46007
plugin started without error.
Attempting: /mesh updatedb:
View attachment 46008
deleting db and retrying produced same error.

Is there anything I can do to help to narrow down the issue?

Addendum: Searching the web I found:
potential reason for SSL connect error:
This error can appear for a couple of reasons such as:
    Having a browser problem
    An antivirus program or firewall might block access to a website
    The date and time of the computer trying to access the website is incorrect
    Having an untrusted SSL certificate
    The website might contain insecure information
    The SSL certificate might have wrong information

- Checked the time sync settings on my system. Automatic timesync is active, it showed a sucessful sync just a couple of ours ago.
- No specific antivirus or antimalware is installed, just the standard windows security is active
- No specific firewall installed, just a standard "AVM Fritzbox" as router, one of the most common router in central europe I guess.

Brwosing with firefox to https://mqmesh.com seems ok:
View attachment 46010
So atleast a normal connection via browser works fine.
Same issue here.
My network, and laptop block TLS 1.0 and 1.1, SSL 3.0 etc.
Anything from TLS 1.2 up should be good.

Swapped connection to phone hotspot, same error. So yay, I don't have to trawl though my pfsense firewall logs.
Like DragonSlayer, no issues connecting to https://mqmesh.com via my home network, or hotspot using a browser.

My laptop runs Windows 11, Insider Program Beta Channel, and is current to build 22623.1255 ni_release.
Firmware and BIOS is updated to latest stable from HP. Machine is about 2 to 3 years old.

Let me know if I can help with logs or other information you need to isolate / replicate issue.

So the curl it's built against doesn't support TLS 1.2 or 1.3. I'll have to look into replacing it with my own build of curl.
I don't think this is correct. Unless you JUST disabled TLS 1.0 on your webserver, you're already not serving TLS 1.0 content which would cause that to be a problem for everyone.

I don't think this is correct. Unless you JUST disabled TLS 1.0 on your webserver, you're already not serving TLS 1.0 content which would cause that to be a problem for everyone.
Brainiac had me message them my dll from my build without that other potentially offending plugin present in the build. So we'll see if that makes any difference when they respond

I see tons of people getting requests through fine now though now that I'm watching.

I am running a 6 box, using ISBoxer for window management.
MQ is loaded with AutoLogin enabled and configured in ISBoxer.
All toons are using Zliz (Sic/Kaen version jan 3 2022).

Was running ok last night, so no update inbetween sessions.

Went to fire up the team, all toons appear except for one.
Hmm, didnt appear to load.
Manually start the session via ISBoxer.
At server screen is states that the toon is logged in ,and will log it out.
Session does not appear.
Try is a second time, but watch more carefully, session gets past the select server screen and silently crashes out when loading into zone (guild lobby in this case).
Other toons had no issue loading Guildlobby while running ISBoxer and MQ.

So, check crash dump files - nothing.
Unload MQ and ISBoxer, fire up toon - success. Log out again.
Load up MQ only, fire up toon - crashes on loading GuildLobby.

Logs for that session are here:
MacroQuest-20230210T185440.684547Z.log:
D 2023-02-11 07:54:40.685736 [mq] Logging Initialized
I 2023-02-11 07:54:40.731895 [mq] Starting NamedPipeClient thread for \\.\pipe\mqpipe
I 2023-02-11 07:54:40.750202 [mq] Toggle console keybind: ctrl+`
D 2023-02-11 07:54:40.839532 [mq] Initializing module: FrameLimiter
D 2023-02-11 07:54:40.840993 [mq] Initializing module: DeveloperTools
D 2023-02-11 07:54:40.842983 [mq] Initializing module: Windows
D 2023-02-11 07:54:40.843512 [mq] Initializing module: ImGuiAPI
D 2023-02-11 07:54:40.843881 [mq] Initializing module: Spells
D 2023-02-11 07:54:40.843927 [mq] Initializing module: DataAPI
D 2023-02-11 07:54:40.844223 [mq] Initializing module: GroundSpawns
D 2023-02-11 07:54:40.844260 [mq] Initializing module: Spawns
D 2023-02-11 07:54:41.103440 [mq] Initializing module: Items
W 2023-02-11 07:54:41.279322 [mq] Tried to send a message with id 1004 on a null connection.
I 2023-02-11 07:54:43.600100 [mq] IDirect3DDevice9::EndScene: TestCooperativeLevel was successful, reacquiring device.
D 2023-02-11 07:54:43.600279 [mq] MQ2Overlay: InvalidateDeviceObjects
D 2023-02-11 07:54:43.600310 [mq] MQ2Overlay: CreateDeviceObjects
I 2023-02-11 07:55:42.969872 [mq] IDirect3DDevice9::Reset hook: device instance is the acquired device.
D 2023-02-11 07:55:42.969917 [mq] MQ2Overlay: InvalidateDeviceObjects
I 2023-02-11 07:55:51.322320 [mq] IDirect3DDevice9::EndScene: TestCooperativeLevel was successful, reacquiring device.
D 2023-02-11 07:55:51.322388 [mq] MQ2Overlay: CreateDeviceObjects
W 2023-02-11 07:55:59.430144 [mq] Tried to send a message with id 2002 on a null connection.
I 2023-02-11 07:55:59.433934 [mq] MQ2Overlay: Resetting overlay
D 2023-02-11 07:55:59.433961 [mq] MQ2Overlay: InvalidateDeviceObjects
I 2023-02-11 07:56:00.711839 [mq] IDirect3DDevice9::EndScene: TestCooperativeLevel was successful, reacquiring device.
D 2023-02-11 07:56:00.711939 [mq] MQ2Overlay: InvalidateDeviceObjects
D 2023-02-11 07:56:00.711953 [mq] MQ2Overlay: CreateDeviceObjects
I 2023-02-11 07:56:26.442192 [mq] MQ2Overlay: Resetting overlay
D 2023-02-11 07:56:26.442221 [mq] MQ2Overlay: InvalidateDeviceObjects

Also noticed this log with tha same timestamp:
MQ2Nav.log:
I 2023-02-11 07:56:26.440988 [MQ2Nav] gSuccessfully loaded mesh for mguildlobbyx (C:\agent\_work\1\s\plugins\MQ2Nav\plugin\NavMeshLoader.cpp:80)

While typing this I realised that I have set up on this toon only last night MQ2MeshManager
With settings:
INI:
/mesh set missing on
/mesh set autoupdate on
/mesh set threadsafety on

To confirm its the MQ2MeshManager, just remove the dll from the ..\MacroQuest\Release\plugins folder?

With the actual Version of 02/11/2023 (ran update on launcher some minutes ago) the problems for me issuing "/mesh updatedb" seems solved. SSL-connection working as intended.
Thanks to all helping to solve the issue. I like the functionallity of MQ2MeshManager and would have been sad, if some unusual setup on my machine would have prevented the use of this nice plugin.

Plugin - MQ2MeshManager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back