• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • There was a hotfixtoday. DO NOT PATCH EQ or you'll have to wait for the next MQ update (no ETA). You can play without the patch by using patchme or autologin (preferred). If you've already patched EQ you're out of luck, unless you find someone to share the older eqgame.exe (don't ask here).

IRL - Monk DPS 2HD or 1HD (1 Viewer)

This question always bothers me as a monk player. I'm not sure why? Anyone else get that feeling too? Any quick ideas as to why?
The question, or the answer? I think it is because monks are represented two ways in pop culture. The Eastern monks who dedicate their lives to the study of martial arts, where H2H would be expected to be their forte. And the Western jovial friars who wield quarterstaffs (2H). Seems like the devs haven't made up their minds on what EQ monks are.

In beta and on release dual wield was actually better for monks again (didnt matter because weps werent avail from raids yet). However recent patch changed that and 2hand pretty much wins all around again.

Honestly I don't think theres a reason and the devs dont really know either according to monk discord, hopefully with crt or whatever their community rep thats coming is called that is something will change.

I am pretty sure its the AA, there are more AA that improve 2h dmg, ambidex doesn't make enough difference or the chosen ratios between 1h weapon ratios and 2h ratios are wrong. its not subtle. Also, lot more synergy's who have limited hits/uses that help slower bigger dmg weapons. Its clearly been 2h thats best for a long time.

Without having parsed it, someone I trust has told me that the 1h path is better in ToL.

No parse needed unless comparing Blood Soaked h2h and Blood Soaked 1HB to CoV Threaded 2HB and the 2HB consistently smoking the chase one handers so badly no parse needed isn't a good example.

A long long time ago there was a tournament that pitted Monk against Monk.

At the time you could still dual wield a Mosscovered Twig.

Now the Mosscovered Twig only did THREE Damage but the Delay was only TEN and the guy who killed the other Monks was using two of them.

But that was a long time ago and far far away from where the game is now.

And there used to be a few developer Augs floating around with +100 magic/fire/etc damage. This was when normal weapons had like 30 dam.

From the posts here it is clear that 2 hand should be the way to go.

Still there is a part of me that is partial to Speed !

When I actually play my Monk it seems to me that Fast = Fun !

But that's just me ... )

A long long time ago there was a tournament that pitted Monk against Monk.

At the time you could still dual wield a Mosscovered Twig.

Now the Mosscovered Twig only did THREE Damage but the Delay was only TEN and the guy who killed the other Monks was using two of them.

But that was a long time ago and far far away from where the game is now.

....and in another similar tourney that was any melee vs any melee, a 2h WAR turned on auto-riposte and cratered a twig wielding monk in a few seconds.

....and in another similar tourney that was any melee vs any melee, a 2h WAR turned on auto-riposte and cratered a twig wielding monk in a few seconds.
Speaking from experience, current day monks will run over warriors in same gear in about 3 seconds flat. It's not even a contest, not that pvp matters anymore in this game.

IRL - Monk DPS 2HD or 1HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back