• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Max Ranger DPS (1 Viewer)

RedCents
81¢
Wondering if there are any main Rangers out there who have their own variation of max dps when in melee? Range seems to be similar in dmg but wondering if there are rangers out there who can do better dps melee rather range? From my understanding of reading EQ rangers are suppose to be a melee class but I just havn't found their dmg to be that much better than range. Anyone with good input along with possible setup/macro's would be much appreciated!

Mojo

I'm posting this as Ranger has been my main class since I started playing. I know we are not a high class for DPS but we can still put out a fair chunk of dmg. I've always looked at our class as the jack knife of all trades. We can do many different things such as CC, spot heals, and tank but obviously we mostly are a dps class. Always open to finding out more info on this class if anyone else uses it to the max ability as I do. Always ears to input. :)

Here is how to raid with the ranger. This would ideally tell you how to maximize your DPS. Its up to date through CoV with abilities, spells, etc. Usually a few things change from raid to group settings, but I know nothing about rangers to be able to tell you what would be different, if anything. Here you go:

^^^ that is accurate. Fintank's ranger abilities are pretty legit.

Don't listen to people who say Rangers aren't a "high dps class." On our raids (a bleeding edge raiding guild with lots and lots of dps) ranger(s) are routinely in the top 10, and will often break the top 5. The adps the ranger is getting makes a huge difference, and not all events are super ranger friendly, but for the most part they handle themselves just fine. Follow those instructions in the link and then ask questions in the discord if you have very specific questions.

Oh, I didn't see if Fintank addressed this in his how-to post, but the bottom line is:

If pureshot is active = bow, bow, bow
If pureshot is down = melee dps with the best 2-hander you can get ahold of. The reason for the 2 hander is for the sympathetic proc from casting spells.

This is all well and good, problem is , I want to turn Ranger on and let him work his magic . There has to be a decent ini out there . I steer my paladin , cant do both . Thanks

It’s really why a plug-in would be necessary. The way to maximize dps is to keep like 4 spells and two combat abilities on cooldown all the time. If you can do that while maintaining melee/bow dps you’re going to be doing pretty well.

I have a sick melee ranger ini. I posted it long ago but haven't reposted the updated version. When I get a chance to actually get a couple days off to relax I will post the updated version. He is also my main from early 2000, so he gets all the love, and has great gear. If you dont have great gear, max aa and the best weapons you can get your hands on then the dps will obviously be less in line. This is a group ini not a raid ini. Apples and oranges.

I'm on Test server so I usually run with the latest Chase loot items. Done a good job and getting the better augs out here too. I don't have the Raid gear but that's ok, I still put out a decent amount of dmg. Was just wondering if there were other ideas out there or methods that people used since Rangers are kinda back burners and not really used as a Main. I have been a Ranger Main my entire time playing EQ. Just curious if there were other crazies out there like me, the far and few, who might have a little more input is all. Thank you everyone for the advice and info!

I'm on Test server so I usually run with the latest Chase loot items. Done a good job and getting the better augs out here too. I don't have the Raid gear but that's ok, I still put out a decent amount of dmg. Was just wondering if there were other ideas out there or methods that people used since Rangers are kinda back burners and not really used as a Main. I have been a Ranger Main my entire time playing EQ. Just curious if there were other crazies out there like me, the far and few, who might have a little more input is all. Thank you everyone for the advice and info!

Did you go to the freelance raiders page and read the ranger walkthrough? That's literally the best information I've seen out there.

(also a ranger main)

Did you go to the freelance raiders page and read the ranger walkthrough? That's literally the best information I've seen out there.

(also a ranger main)

I just wanted to get other opinions as well on this topic. Also thought that maybe there might be something someone would point out that could possibly be added to the dps line I use. Sometimes there are little tips or tricks that actually can make minor increases when you think it's already maxed as is. :D

Discussion - Max Ranger DPS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back