• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Maskoi's Boxing Guide to EQ with MQ2 #1 (1 Viewer)

Maskoi

old and salty
RedCents
81,436¢
This is the first article in a series about boxing multiple characters in EverQuest using Macroquest2. You will need to bear some things in mind as you read these.

• I have been playing EQ for 12 years since Kunark came out in 2000.
  • I have been using MQ2 for 8 years since 2004.
  • I started writing macros 6 years ago in 2006.
  • I started maintaining MQ2Melee and help fixing broken plugins 2 years ago when I took over Redguides.
  • I am writing about a group environment.
  • I am writing mostly about EQ live current expansion/servers.
  • I have played every toon as a main except enchanter, wizard, rogue, berserker.
  • I know most stuff but not everything. I am right 85% of the time.
  • I intend to keep these articles short and to the point

The goal of these articles are to give people an idea of how and why to use certain combos of character classes for boxing in EverQuest. I am all about participation and hope to see my article amended with new ideas from our community.

God, Jesus, and The Holy Trinity of an MQ2 group
God is the Armor Class (AC) of your Tank
Jesus is the DPS of your group
The Holy Trinity is a Tank, Healer, Mezzer

You can't do any kind of normal group activities, progression. leveling, etc. without the the Holy Trinity. The core group in its most basic form is

Desired class in order left to right.
Tank - Warrior, Shadow knight, Paladin
Healer - Cleric, Druid, Shaman
Mezzer - Enchanter, Bard

Definitions:

Boxing: Running 2 or more characters fully or partially with an MQ2 macro
Tank: the character that is intended to be the one taking damage, maintain aggro and to ensure that they can survive this damage through sheer health points or mitigation.
Healer: the character that is intended to restore the tank's health so they do not die.
Mezzer: the character who's spells/abilities can temporarily mesmerize or stun mobs. Crowd control is an important group support ability when fighting multiple mobs

God is your tank and their AC. Your entire group should be built around your tank. You should concentrate on AAing, gearing and leveling your tank first. Once you have a strong tank the rest is much easier. You can do all these with your other characters in group but you should plan your camps, time, etc. around the tank.

Plan your activites:
Tank:
Plan out the gear you want your tank to have. A tank's ac is mostly from his gear and his AC augs.
Plan out your tanks Alternate Abilities. Tank AA's are the most tiresome and boring to get. You must max Mitigation, HP's, and Aggro. Any thing else is a waste of time. a future article will cover The Holy Trinity AA paths.

Healer:
Plan out your healers Alternate Abilities Alt Abilities are the most important part of a healing character.
Gear is good but not as important as the tanks long as they have the needed healing focus effects. Cleric Epic 1.5 is mandatory.

Mezzer
Plan out your mezzer's Alternate Abilities. AA's are important but not as much as your healers or tanks.
Gear is fine as long as its current but seriously for bards/enchanters it is just not really that important. Concentrate on your tanks then healers gear. The gear will come for your mezzer as you camp for the other two.

Want to hear your opinions and ideas. Please stay on topic.

Maskoi's Boxing Guide to EQ with MQ2 #2

Last edited:
This is excellent and I'll certainly sub this. Have an 85 Bard with 600aa as my main and have been powerlevelling alts up to around 70 with 900aa or so. My intention is to level my 73 SK next with the bard and a merc healer. I've only just dipped my toe into mq2 and kissassist so have plenty to learn. Most notably, is it worth levelling up a healer class which will mainly be afk? I've never played a healer so was hoping to use a cleric merc...

For just sitting in a corner and leveling a toon a merc is fine if its a T5 Merc. You will need a real healer to any kind of named or progression 90+.

Leveling up a healer for pure boxing purposes is defiantly worth it.

One often overlooked aspect is T5 Tank Merc. They actually do quite well in current content, use discs on names, etc... I've found it does better than my Max AA geared Monk, so there is that. Also Mezzer can be expanded to shaman with proper AAs. Seriously who pulls more than 3 mobs at a time? Shamans get 2 CC AAs that last between 1 and 2 minutes each and have fast recast. That said, I prefer an enchanter ;)

I'll explore mercs in a later article but for now we are just covering the basics. You can't have a t5 merc unless you have subscription. You can't have a t5 merc until you are 65+ and have some one run you through the entire warrens progression for it.

Lots of people I have found pull more than 3 mobs at a time. I was quite surprised myself. Its the main reason I added AEMez to Kiss.

One often overlooked aspect is T5 Tank Merc. They actually do quite well in current content, use discs on names, etc... I've found it does better than my Max AA geared Monk, so there is that. Also Mezzer can be expanded to shaman with proper AAs. Seriously who pulls more than 3 mobs at a time? Shamans get 2 CC AAs that last between 1 and 2 minutes each and have fast recast. That said, I prefer an enchanter ;)

I pull more than 3 at a time without any CC. Just need a beefy tank. Which i so happen to play lol. Often solo t4 alot just for kicks.

I solo t4 on my sk when I am just trying to kill some time lol but my sk is also bull Shit big lol

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

You should also note in progression where certain classes are better than others... I mean currently SK's are king of the tanks when it comes to the group game. Shamans are king of the healers, they never run OOM and come with built in slows and buffs especially useful when mercs hit the scene. In terms of crowd control though sometimes a solid puller is better than all the CC in the world. An SK can pull singles pretty easily later on and a bard has CC and pulling built right in. Depends on your CC strategy... I mean some people like to just tank 2 or 3 mobs at a time.

You can't do any kind of normal group activities, progression. leveling, etc. without the the Holy Trinity [including Mezzer.]

I dont agree with this at all. You dont need a mezzer. In fact, you dont even NEED a slower with a good enough tank/healer. Its all dependent on your supporting characters. I box sk/necro/rogue; the rogue used slow poisons in the past, but after getting good armor/aa for the sk, its no longer necessary. Pulls of 2-3 mobs are normal; 3-5 mobs are safe with a disc, and with 6 or more mobs I generally use a few discs, but no mezzing is ever needed. When boxing with a tank merc, I'll sometimes use a chanter if i'm fighting more than 2 mobs, but thats just because the merc is stupid and doesnt know how to position mobs so they're not beating on his back. Otherwise, no mezing is necessary. I do agree, though, that the strength of your tank is the basis of the rest of your group.

If you are playing your toons you might be able to get away without a mezzer but if you are macroing the entire group you need a mezzer or you will wipe.

If you are playing your toons you might be able to get away without a mezzer but if you are macroing the entire group you need a mezzer or you will wipe.

I guess your experience is different from mine. I box combinations of sk/pallymerc tank and rogue/necro/wizard/mage/bl/ranger dps and cleric/druid/sham healer; i dont use a mezzer 95% of the time. While there are occasional hiccups, I generally leave them running for 4-8 hours at a time and check them every couple of hours. You just need to find the right pull and camp spots, which are admittedly not the easiest to locate, but work quite well.

Agree with Puck on the mezzer part.

I let my box team run for up to 24hours at a time, only checking in 3 or 4 times in total, and they work without a mezzer. It's indeed hard to find those camps but they are there, and 30 hours run makes a decent amount of AA's.

I can run a group with no mez but I don't like it. A enc is king of mez. I always love having my enc with me

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Lets say then with a mezzer your choices of camps are greatly increased lol. I use a bard for mezzeds personally because chanters are like 0 dps.

Discussion - Maskoi's Boxing Guide to EQ with MQ2 #1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back