• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • There was a hotfixtoday. DO NOT PATCH EQ or you'll have to wait for the next MQ update (no ETA). You can play without the patch by using patchme or autologin (preferred). If you've already patched EQ you're out of luck, unless you find someone to share the older eqgame.exe (don't ask here).

Question - Looking for team advice on where to start (1 Viewer)

Blood

RedCents
155¢
So here is the deal I haven't played EQ in a million years, my buddies got me back into the game we are playing on Aggnar and since they are not always able to play I am not always able to do the stuff I want to do, I can true box up to three systems but personally work smarter not harder and I think I am going to also do one of the new TLP servers or Rizlona. I work more than full-time and I am looking for the quick and dirty this is what you need as far as modules and plugins.

Aggnar team Ideas: Necro, SK, Shammy

Rizlona or live team: SK, BSK, Cleric or Shammy, BST, Necro, Bard (personally I like shammy's more than clerics).

Necro will always be my main where ever I am as this has been a 23-year love affair.

Goal: automization for my team so I can enjoy the content I want to while continuing to progress and build out my team.

what I don't know is what plugins or additional programs I need to make this happen. so any advice would be awesome.

welcome back.

agnar is truebox so you can't mq there, as mq isn't supported on truebox - but rizlona you can use mq

the holy trinity is alive and well these days.

(((imo)))
a Real tank (sk - war/pal), a real healer (clr/shm) and a cc (bard with melee or caster, enc with caster) then dps to flavor. Clr is going to be an easier curve, plus shammies are a tough solo healer until the 100s anyhow.

Since you are doing older / TLP content, some of it is going to be slightly different - but I would start with a tank, and build your group around that. it becomes exponentially easier depending on your needs/wants as you get into doing missions and such, driving with your tank.

I manually boxed for years - and was a necro main.

now i drive with my SK (which scratches *some* of the necro itch with FD and darkness and such).

Welcome back! While I applaud your dedication to a Necro - it was my 1st ever toon (Main) and one I thoroughly enjoyed until I quit in 2007, in the group game currently you might want to consider faster dps IMHO. Nec is great for bosses where Dots can build up, but I think for trash mobs, you are hurting yourself more. All depends on goals. However, play what you like and enjoy.

SK/SHM for starters and you have those listed. Honestly, of the toons you chose for Riz, I would swap the necro for either another BER, or Rogue. My current main team now that all are leveled and geared? SK/SHM/BRD/BER/BST/ROG. Decimates everything in my path. Quickly and efficiently. Just my 2c.

As Sic mentioned, SHM solo healing was rough and very gear dependent when I leveled up my 2nd group as a solo healer. I took the BST and turned him into a secondary healer and put my settings high, and even them sometimes my WAR would be near death on some pulls. Once he hit 100, he really came into his own. Same with BER dps. Hit 100 and BAM!

welcome back.

agnar is truebox so you can't mq there, as mq isn't supported on truebox - but rizlona you can use mq

the holy trinity is alive and well these days.

(((imo)))
a Real tank (sk - war/pal), a real healer (clr/shm) and a cc (bard with melee or caster, enc with caster) then dps to flavor. Clr is going to be an easier curve, plus shammies are a tough solo healer until the 100s anyhow.

Since you are doing older / TLP content, some of it is going to be slightly different - but I would start with a tank, and build your group around that. it becomes exponentially easier depending on your needs/wants as you get into doing missions and such, driving with your tank.

I manually boxed for years - and was a necro main.

now i drive with my SK (which scratches *some* of the necro itch with FD and darkness and such).
Ya currently I am running on my true box setup on three different pcs. I wish I could run everything off of my main system but like you said it’s a true box server. My two RL best friends play on aggnar which is why I am on aggnar. They will be coming to play with me as well on whatever server I setup my main team on. But they are married to that server.

But thank you for the ideas based off of my team I will probably play the Necro solo then.

So based on my plans and the little knowledge I have about the automation programs that are available what would you guys suggest just use kissassist package?

Ya currently I am running on my true box setup on three different pcs. I wish I could run everything off of my main system but like you said it’s a true box server. My two RL best friends play on aggnar which is why I am on aggnar. They will be coming to play with me as well on whatever server I setup my main team on. But they are married to that server.

But thank you for the ideas based off of my team I will probably play the Necro solo then.

So based on my plans and the little knowledge I have about the automation programs that are available what would you guys suggest just use kissassist package?
If you do not mind spending a little cash - Go CWTN plugins all of the way. Hands down, extremely solid, works out of the gate at lvl 1. If you run withe group makeup I suggested and ran CWTN, 5 toons would be covered, with the Bard on KA or RGMercs. I suggest RGMercs for leveling as you don't need to change .ini files every level. At max, then you can use KA and tweak to your heart's content. Just saves you the trouble. If wanting to not spend money, I would do the same as bard. RGMercs to level, KA at max. IMHO.

WB! Im not big on TLP, but currently, group game, 100+ SK is the best tank for your buck. SHM is best healer/debuff/buff/dps..

That being said, WAR and CLR for earlier era's cant be beat.

Add your ADP boost/CC for what your DPS is going to be (melee like bards, casters like chanters as Sic pointed out).

Flavor in your DPS. I would recommend a bst to just about any group, decent dps, melee buffs, and para (current content). As mentioned, I wouldnt roll with a NEC for group stuff, they take time to get burning and mobs shouldnt be around more then 20 seconds.

HOWEVER:
Play what you enjoy. Thats why we are in EQ is to have fun. If you look at a char and are like *why*.. well then your gonna burn out quick.

Friend and I played Rizlona at launch and had a blast. He ended up burning out before Kunark sadly.

My team was SK, Clr, Enc, Wiz, Mag, Mag. His team was War, Dru, Brd, Mnk, Mag, Nec.

Granted both groups were vanilla EQ, they both performed incredibly well for us. Used KA for all toons at the time.

In love content (FV/Test) I've been leveling various groups up here and there. Nothing above level ~85 currently, but honestly Paladin tank has been pretty fun despite the sub optimal nature of the class. I started off just wanting a reliable Paladin buffer, and at least one of every class leveled, but it's turning into a real joy to play now which I think we can agree is the real point of playing EQ. Not the min maxing or pouring over spreadsheets and percent chance at item drops, but having a good time with what you're playing.

Side note: you mentioned being able to box up to three systems. If you mean play three true box characters using three systems that wouldn't be necessary on Rizlona should you decide to continue playing there, as it allows boxing from the same PC. If you want to play on the newest batch of TLPs, you won't be able to use MQ.

So update,

I am running a sk, zerker, bard, cleric, BST, shammy I might change the shammy out later I am just having a good old time.

I am having some issues with movement but I am getting past it. And also the bard setup is kinda scuffed but it’s working. I am going to have to make some conditions. And tweak it.

So far so good thank you for all the help guys.

So here is the deal I haven't played EQ in a million years, my buddies got me back into the game we are playing on Aggnar and since they are not always able to play I am not always able to do the stuff I want to do, I can true box up to three systems but personally work smarter not harder and I think I am going to also do one of the new TLP servers or Rizlona. I work more than full-time and I am looking for the quick and dirty this is what you need as far as modules and plugins.

Aggnar team Ideas: Necro, SK, Shammy

Rizlona or live team: SK, BSK, Cleric or Shammy, BST, Necro, Bard (personally I like shammy's more than clerics).

Necro will always be my main where ever I am as this has been a 23-year love affair.

Goal: automization for my team so I can enjoy the content I want to while continuing to progress and build out my team.

what I don't know is what plugins or additional programs I need to make this happen. so any advice would be awesome.
Yea..i'd go Necro/Enc/Shaman...or Necro/Bard/Shaman...let mercs do the tanking/dps

So i'd look like this Bard..pullers crowd or enc puller/crowd, Necro DPS, Shaman Heal dots...then do Merc Tank, Merc Rogue, Merc Cleric. Now this team will hit a tanking wall using mercs for missions and stuff...but if you pimp out your necro enough i've seen them do amazing shit...

So update,

I am running a sk, zerker, bard, cleric, BST, shammy I might change the shammy out later I am just having a good old time.

I am having some issues with movement but I am getting past it. And also the bard setup is kinda scuffed but it’s working. I am going to have to make some conditions. And tweak it.

So far so good thank you for all the help guys.
As I mentioned before, pocket the cleric for buffs only. Shaman can solo heal (rough at points mid levels, but shines in the end game) and is perfect with that group. Drop cleric for Rogue or Berserker IMHO.

What are you having trouble with regards to movement? Use RGMercs to start with Bard while leveling. No conditions needed, just flows. At end game, I prefer KA, but leveling, not having to change out .ini's all of the time is good.

I currently run Pally, enc, zerk, zerk, shm, bst. I do fine with this setup in ToL and previous expansions. I used to run Pally, Brd, Zerk, Zerk, Zerk and Clr and that setup tears through most content like a laser through butter, but I wanted to tweak things a little and settles on my current makeup. I love brd, but after being spoiled by CWTN plugins and not having one for brd means my bard now collects dust. You need to know that you can do a lot of content with Free to Play (FTP) accounts, but remember that they will not stack up to what you will see in the videos on this site. As an example my Pally and Bst are on paid accounts other 4 are ftp and I cannot manage to beat a single ToL mission. The easiest mission wipes me at 73% and all my toons are 120, however, the FTP ones are working on about 1k more AA than autogrant when it was 110. I have no issues with the quests and such in any zone and I am able to tank namers in T2 zones. Sic has excellent videos and are a must watch for some, some I wish he would update to show the mechanics, I have done them all several times with my raid cleric so I know the mechanics but am unable to do the missions to do a video. I will be the first to tell you that SK > Pally and I have been a diehard Pally guy since launch, but I can't lie and tell you Pallies are better.

The main thing like so many have said so far is play what makes you have fun or else you will once again get burnout and we will be reading your Redguides obituary. I love me necro, but I only solo with him. I could never imagine being in a group with him.

As I mentioned before, pocket the cleric for buffs only. Shaman can solo heal (rough at points mid levels, but shines in the end game) and is perfect with that group. Drop cleric for Rogue or Berserker IMHO.

What are you having trouble with regards to movement? Use RGMercs to start with Bard while leveling. No conditions needed, just flows. At end game, I prefer KA, but leveling, not having to change out .ini's all of the time is good.
So here is my only issue with RGmerc, the bard.......

it will only use certain spells it does not cast run speed or mana regen, it also does not mez adds. I am lvl 52 with all my toons. I will commend RGmercs for ease of use I just kinda want the bard to do more wish there was a CWTN MQ2Brd LOL. I am going to start messing around with KA going forward I think as I want the bard doing more than just health and Haste.

Last edited:

it will only use certain spells it does not cast run speed or mana regen, it also does not mez adds. I am lvl 52 with all my toons. I will commend RGmercs for ease of use I just kinda want the bard to do more wish there was a CWTN MQ2Brd LOL. I am going to start messing around with KA going forward I think as I want the bard doing more than just health and Haste.
I've posted several bard KA ini you can look at. In the ka library.

Last edited:
@Blood Do you have that stuff turned on?
/rg <Class Short Name> TheSettingYouWantToChange <value>
[BRD] UseAASelo == "Set 0/1 to use AA Selo's Sonata"
[BRD] UseRunSpeed == "set 0/1 to use the RunSpeed song buff."
[BRD OR ENC] AutoLevelRange == "Set 0/1 to enable automatic mez level detection based on spells."
[BRD OR ENC] MezOn == "Set 0/1 to use mez spells."
[BRD OR ENC] MezAnnounce == "Set 0/1 to announce mez casts."
[BRD OR ENC] MezStartCount == "Sets # of mobs needed to start using Mez spells. ( Default 2 )"
[BRD OR ENC] MezAECount == "Sets # of mobs needed on aggro and in range to AE Mez ( Default 3 )"
[BRD OR ENC] MaxMezCount == "Maximum # of mobs to CC ( Default is 13 )"
[BRD OR ENC] MezRadius == "Radius for mobs to be in to start Mezing, An area twice this size is monitored for aggro mobs"
[BRD OR ENC] MezZRadius == "Height radius (z-value) for mobs to be in to start mezzing. An area twice this size is monitored for aggro mobs. If you're enchanter is not mezzing on hills -- increase this value."
[BRD OR ENC] MezMinLevel == "Minimum Level a mob must be to Mez - Below this lvl are ignored. 0 means no mobs ignored."
[BRD OR ENC] MezMaxLevel == "Maximum Level a mob must be to Mez - Above this lvl are ignored. 0 means no mobs ignored."
[BRD OR ENC] MezStopHPs == "Mob HP% to stop trying to mez"
[BRD OR ENC] UseAEAAMez == "Toggle 0/1 to use Area Effect AA Mez (Default: 0)."

@Blood Do you have that stuff turned on?
/rg <Class Short Name> TheSettingYouWantToChange <value>
[BRD] UseAASelo == "Set 0/1 to use AA Selo's Sonata"
[BRD] UseRunSpeed == "set 0/1 to use the RunSpeed song buff."
[BRD OR ENC] AutoLevelRange == "Set 0/1 to enable automatic mez level detection based on spells."
[BRD OR ENC] MezOn == "Set 0/1 to use mez spells."
[BRD OR ENC] MezAnnounce == "Set 0/1 to announce mez casts."
[BRD OR ENC] MezStartCount == "Sets # of mobs needed to start using Mez spells. ( Default 2 )"
[BRD OR ENC] MezAECount == "Sets # of mobs needed on aggro and in range to AE Mez ( Default 3 )"
[BRD OR ENC] MaxMezCount == "Maximum # of mobs to CC ( Default is 13 )"
[BRD OR ENC] MezRadius == "Radius for mobs to be in to start Mezing, An area twice this size is monitored for aggro mobs"
[BRD OR ENC] MezZRadius == "Height radius (z-value) for mobs to be in to start mezzing. An area twice this size is monitored for aggro mobs. If you're enchanter is not mezzing on hills -- increase this value."
[BRD OR ENC] MezMinLevel == "Minimum Level a mob must be to Mez - Below this lvl are ignored. 0 means no mobs ignored."
[BRD OR ENC] MezMaxLevel == "Maximum Level a mob must be to Mez - Above this lvl are ignored. 0 means no mobs ignored."
[BRD OR ENC] MezStopHPs == "Mob HP% to stop trying to mez"
[BRD OR ENC] UseAEAAMez == "Toggle 0/1 to use Area Effect AA Mez (Default: 0)."
I will double-check it all
I've posted several bard KA ini you can look at. In the ka library.
Thank you I will also check this out.

By default, it should mez adds I believe, but at that level it is single target only, so you have to make sure the settings are correct as Dobber mentioned. If you want to sit down and go over the config/settings, hit me up on Discord. I am more than happy to help!

My 2c... I use CWTN plugins exclusively, but started with Kissassist and I really suggest that you do this. It will give you a good grounding in what exactly is possible and how things work. There are many great INIs available at a lot of levels.

@Blood
My knowledge is limited but i'll take a swing at what i can see.
It doesn't look like you have the selo's aa, so i would turn that off turn that off.
Selo's Sonata (1) 76 SoF
I don't know your server rules, so place Selo's Accelerando(original expansion) in a gem and have drum in hand to test. If your still having problems go here <cwtn-plugins>

Level: 5IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's AccelerandoBRD/51: Increase Movement by 16% (L5) to 80% (L51)
0PercussionGroup v2
Original
Level: 23IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Consonant ChainBRD/232: Decrease Movement by 31% (L23) to 150% (L120)
3: Decrease Attack Speed by 5% (L23) to 45% (L71)
0SingingSingle
Original
Level: 25IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Rhythm of SpeedBRD/251: Increase Movement by 10%
0PercussionGroup v2
Lost Dungeons of Norrath
Level: 48IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Chords of CessationBRD/481: Decrease Hitpoints by 2 (L48) to 62 (L120) per tick if target is not moving
6: Decrease Attack Speed by 5% (L48) to 30% (L81)
0StringedPB AE
Original
Level: 49IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Accelerating ChorusBRD/491: Increase Movement by 16% (L49) to 80% (L51)
0PercussionGroup v2
Shadows of Luclin
Level: 51IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Song of TravelBRD/511: Increase Movement by 16% (L51) to 80% (L51)
2: Invisibility
3: See Invisible (1)
4: Levitate (1)
0PercussionGroup v2
Ruins of Kunark
Level: 54IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Assonant StrainBRD/541: Decrease Movement by 30% (L54) to 60% (L120)
2: Decrease Attack Speed by 10% (L54) to 49% (L120)
0StringedPB AE
Ruins of Kunark
Level: 66IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's AcceleratoBRD/661: Increase Movement by 26% (L66) to 125% (L76)
2: Increase Movement Cap (4%)
0PercussionGroup v2
Empires of Kunark
Level: 74IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Accelerating CantoBRD/741: Increase Movement by 26% (L74) to 125% (L76)
2: Improved Invisibility
4: Levitate (2)
5: Increase Movement Cap (4%)
0PercussionGroup v2
Empires of Kunark

Idk what exactly it did, but I saw a suggestion somewhere in game or on the RG Merc wiki that said to do

INI:
/RG classmode 1

From then on (I was about level 80 at this time) it auto updated songs it used, level range for mez targets, AAs it used, and other things I can't remember right away.

Idk what exactly it did, but I saw a suggestion somewhere in game or on the RG Merc wiki that said to do

INI:
/RG classmode 1

From then on (I was about level 80 at this time) it auto updated songs it used, level range for mez targets, AAs it used, and other things I can't remember right away.
Thank you I will try that out.

@Blood
My knowledge is limited but i'll take a swing at what i can see.
It doesn't look like you have the selo's aa, so i would turn that off turn that off.
Selo's Sonata (1) 76 SoF
I don't know your server rules, so place Selo's Accelerando(original expansion) in a gem and have drum in hand to test. If your still having problems go here <cwtn-plugins>

Level: 5IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's AccelerandoBRD/51: Increase Movement by 16% (L5) to 80% (L51)
0PercussionGroup v2
Original
Level: 23IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Consonant ChainBRD/232: Decrease Movement by 31% (L23) to 150% (L120)
3: Decrease Attack Speed by 5% (L23) to 45% (L71)
0SingingSingle
Original
Level: 25IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Rhythm of SpeedBRD/251: Increase Movement by 10%
0PercussionGroup v2
Lost Dungeons of Norrath
Level: 48IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Chords of CessationBRD/481: Decrease Hitpoints by 2 (L48) to 62 (L120) per tick if target is not moving
6: Decrease Attack Speed by 5% (L48) to 30% (L81)
0StringedPB AE
Original
Level: 49IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Accelerating ChorusBRD/491: Increase Movement by 16% (L49) to 80% (L51)
0PercussionGroup v2
Shadows of Luclin
Level: 51IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Song of TravelBRD/511: Increase Movement by 16% (L51) to 80% (L51)
2: Invisibility
4: Levitate (1)
0PercussionGroup v2
Ruins of Kunark
Level: 54IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Assonant StrainBRD/541: Decrease Movement by 30% (L54) to 60% (L120)
2: Decrease Attack Speed by 10% (L54) to 49% (L120)
0StringedPB AE
Ruins of Kunark
Level: 66IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's AcceleratoBRD/661: Increase Movement by 26% (L66) to 125% (L76)
2: Increase Movement Cap (4%)
0PercussionGroup v2
Empires of Kunark
Level: 74IconNameClassEffect(s)ManaSkillTarget TypeExpansionspell iconSelo's Accelerating CantoBRD/741: Increase Movement by 26% (L74) to 125% (L76)
2: Improved Invisibility
4: Levitate (2)
5: Increase Movement Cap (4%)
0PercussionGroup v2
Empires of Kunark
you sir are awesome I will check this out.

Question - Looking for team advice on where to start

Users who are viewing this thread

Back